I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

TORZITE tip size question
Posted by: Mark Gwynne (---.lns3.cha.bigpond.net.au)
Date: October 19, 2015 07:47AM

Does anybody else find it strange that the TORZITE belly guides (TKBTG) are offered from size 4 to 6 in 0.5mm increments yet the two tip offerings (TFCCT and TLGTT) are only available in size 4 and 4.5?
Furthermore, the 4.5 tips start with a tube size of 2.2 mm which is quite large. I want to build a 10 - 17lb casting rod with TORZITES but the tip is 1.6mm. That's pretty normal in this blank range. I would prefer not to step down to a size 4 tip just because of the the tube diameter when the belly guides are size 5.
I could go to the bulkier TMNTT tips which start at size 6 because they have the starting tube size of 1.6mm. That small tube diameter offering makes it even stranger given it's a much stronger tip and starts with a larger ring. The only thing is I would then have to scale up to size 6 belly guides and also would prefer not to sacrifice the tip sensitivity with such a bulky tip for this rod.
The range offerings seem really weird to me and I would have thought be now these gaps would have been filled?

The rod is for chasing fairly large fish on 20lb plus braid so I don't want to step down below size 5.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: TORZITE tip size question
Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: October 19, 2015 08:13AM

unless you are using leader knots and are concerned with them passing through the guides. You might consider stepping your runner guides down to 4 mm.
I routinely use Alps 3mm guides on braids up to 65 and even 80 pound test with absolutely no problems, and have friends using them on striper and musky rods with no problems.

10 - 17 casting rod with 20+ test braid? Not even come close to maxing out the capabilities of 3mm guides let alone 4 or 5's

Date: October 19, 2015 08:37AM

I'm definitely concerned about it. To me the step down in guide sizes seems to offer very little in weight savings and guide footprint to warrant the risk of the leader catching for whatever small performance I might gain from a casting perspective. Is there a huge difference in going from 5 to 4? I may have to at this point given my options.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: October 19, 2015 08:41AM

If you are worried about it Just go for SIC No big deal

Bill - willierods.com

Date: October 19, 2015 09:00AM

Funny thing is Bill, that's one of the reasons I went for TORZITE. To get the smaller ring and increase the guide aperture. Going back to SIC I would probably have to go to size 6 instead of the TORZITE 5s.

Posted by: Donald R Campbell (---.lsanca.fios.verizon.net)
Date: October 19, 2015 09:49AM

Mark,

I agree with your evaluation on the available sizes. I have built several rods for clients with the Torzite guides and a guys pretty much %*%@^*ed if he want to throw braid with a floro top shot! Maybe Fuji will offer a larger selection in the future; because the Torzite guides are outstanding! 'Love em!

Don Campbell
don@sensorfishingrods.com

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: October 19, 2015 10:05AM

Is anyone getting 10 - 20 extra feet of casting distance from them ??

Or do as Steve said

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/19/2015 10:15AM by bill boettcher.

Posted by: Jim Ising (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: October 19, 2015 11:44AM

Mark, if I follow what you're saying you need to look at the new KG top in TORZITE. It starts at a 5(4) (to pick up where the FC and LG end) and Fuji considers it to be one of the best tops they have ever offered. Page 40 of the catalog that should have been included with your RodMaker Mag this month.

Hope this helps.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 19, 2015 02:42PM

Jim, I looked at several on line dealers and could not find anyone selling these new torzite kg tip tops. I assume these are the new arowana ti0 tops. Where can one buy these?

Date: October 19, 2015 03:53PM

Yes, the Arowana. I am doing a search now to find out who has ordered. I'll post what I find.

Date: October 19, 2015 05:19PM

Ah ha! So they have finally filled that gap! Very keen to hear back on this one! Thanks Jim.

Posted by: Donald R Campbell (---.lsanca.fios.verizon.net)
Date: October 20, 2015 01:03PM

Jim Ising Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Mark, if I follow what you're saying you need to
> look at the new KG top in TORZITE. It starts at a
> 5(4) (to pick up where the FC and LG end) and
> Fuji considers it to be one of the best tops they
> have ever offered. Page 40 of the catalog that
> should have been included with your RodMaker Mag
> this month.
>
> Hope this helps.
Jim,

Yesterday, I received this edition of RodMaker Mag and was thrilled to see the new Anglers Resource Catalogue included. Lots of new stuff or boy, especially the new Arowana Tip Tops with the flanged Torzite rings. Oh boy lots of new goodies!!

Don Campbell
don@sensorfishingrods.com

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/20/2015 01:09PM by Donald R Campbell.

Posted by: Sonny Hernandez (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: October 20, 2015 10:22PM

I found them overseas. They're not a sponsor to this site, so I'm not sure if I can list the name. But they're located in GB.

(note: I just sent my order, so I don't physically have the tips. I did contact them to see if they are available, and they said they were)

Date: October 21, 2015 10:51AM

Mark, most of the KG's we received on our initial order went out immediately to manufacturers. A few went to Cut Rate Tackle in Texas. Not a sponsor so Tom may not let me tell you that. Call ANY distributor and ask them to order it. It's in stock here.

Glad you enjoyed the Catalog Donald. YES, lots of exciting new stuff we will be talking about in the next 30-45 days.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster