I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

VIRUS
Posted by: Dave Hoffman (---.tnt2.grand-rapids.mi.da.uu.net)
Date: November 11, 2001 06:55AM

From Buzz Butters...Subject...2001 tuition, contains the Sircam virus.DO NOT OPEN THIS MESSAGE. Thanks Norton

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: VIRUS
Posted by: Buzz B (---.dotnet.com)
Date: November 11, 2001 09:15AM

Recently I recieved an email that states "need your opinion" it then
had a picture of the different "actions" of a fishing rod. The file
had text about someone's wanting a bass rod made. It was written as if it was asking my opinion. The sentence structure was such that it seemed to be written by someone who does not use English very much.

This email contained a virus. My anti-virus program was unable to detect it. I am no longer sending out emails from my home until the problem is corrected. I have given the email and virus to the officer at work who handles Internet related investigations to see if he can trace the originator. From the vague way the message was written it appears that this message was the origin of the virus directed to rodbuilders. I will post more when I learn more.

Buzz Butters
can be reached at work at rbutters@cityofripon.com

Posted by: matt (---.chartertn.net)
Date: November 11, 2001 10:12AM

it's not directed at rodbuilders exactly. it takes into account the sites you visit on the internet, then "tailors" them to those standards. you are correct about the grammar used, that's the easiest tip-off, next to the subject.

this is a fairly hearty virus, that will need to be edited out of your registry. here's a little tip:

in your email program's contacts list, create one with the title 000!. this will be the first one in your list, and will slow the virus down from replicating itsself to everyone in your address book/contacts.

Posted by: Neptune (---.alsv1.occa.home.com)
Date: November 11, 2001 10:55AM

Matt,

Wrong! - The 000! fix is a total hoax. Go to this website for information:

[www.vmyths.com]

@#$%&

Posted by: Coach (---.gnt.com)
Date: November 11, 2001 02:58PM

It got me last week. man, it cost money to repair. Norton did not stop it.

Posted by: matt (---.chartertn.net)
Date: November 11, 2001 03:45PM

i stand corrected! there goes my security blanket...LOL

Posted by: Jojo (---.dial-up.ipa.net)
Date: November 11, 2001 05:44PM

No viral program will work unless its DAT files are updated regularly, and it is configured to work within the various parameters of its capability. If you don't use it to its fullest potential, don't expect it to work.
NEVER, NEVER open attachments unless you know exactly what they are. If in doubt contact the person who sent it, or delete it.

Posted by: Dave Hoffman (---.tnt7.grand-rapids.mi.da.uu.net)
Date: November 12, 2001 08:25AM

Norton 2002 updates itself every 4 hours. Well worth the $40.00.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialinx.net)
Date: November 12, 2001 09:24AM

I can't imagine using computer equipment that is susceptable to viruses. I thought we moved past that in the 1970's. Well, some of us did.

Oh well. Here's a tip for you who use equipment that is susceptable to such viruses - do not not send or accept attachments. They are not necessary. Use your "copy and paste" edit function to place the desired information directly in the message window of your email program and send as plain text. If someone sends you an attachment, do not open it - reply to them asking for them to copy the attachment into their message window. This greatly reduces the chances of sending or receiving these viruses.

Posted by: Jojo (---.dial-up.ipa.net)
Date: November 12, 2001 08:26PM

Tom,

What computer equipment are you using that is not susceptable to virii?

Posted by: Kevin (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 12, 2001 08:44PM

I won't speak for anyone else but I know that my Macintosh does not get viruses. I can open any attachment including those that put my workplace IBM in a tailspin and the Mac just laughs them off. It really is a more advanced piece of equipment. Do not know what Tom uses but my Apple has never caught a virus, never crashed, never had a problem. My unit at work is down for several hours every other week due to some problem. Maybe we should all go back to typewriters.

Also
Posted by: Kevin (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 12, 2001 08:59PM

I believe the Sircam virus is what is going around. It is a worm and usually begins with the heading of 'Need Your Opinion' or something like that. If you have a IBM compatible and get that in your mail box, don't open the attachment. Just delete it. It is making the rounds quickly.

Virus
Date: November 13, 2001 09:21AM

Like most people in the publishing, graphics, news and entertainment fields, I do not have time to waste on viruses, hard drive crashes, funny program problems, software incompatibility, etc., etc., etc. Thus, like them, I use a Power Macintosh. I can do twice the work in half the time, have access to better software and just don't have to put up with "computer" problems. I won't put up with computer problems - it isn't necessary and hasn't been for about 20 years now.

Re: Virus
Posted by: shaun (---.pngts.com)
Date: November 13, 2001 09:29AM

If only Apple had been as good at marketing as they were at hardware/software design.

Re: Virus
Date: November 13, 2001 10:00AM

That is one of the most astute statements ever made regarding the computer industry. Apple has always had the very best technology and equipment, but never took the time to tell the public about it.

I suppose we need to get back to rod building topics now.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster