I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Seeking Sabiki Tip Tops
Posted by: Bill Falconer (---.dhcp.unas.al.charter.com)
Date: October 04, 2015 08:47AM

Hello All -

Turning to the forum for help as I am stumped. Anyone know where I can purchase sabiki tip tops? I'm seeking the inner-line type hollow tip tops or ceramic 'cones' that mount on the end of a blank for specifically this purpose.

For what it's worth, I am totally familiar with the various cheap Sabiki rods (PVC, etc.). I also understand you can simply use a regular guides outside rod to catch bait. But I am looking for the inner line type tip tops from any source. Thanks!

Bill

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Seeking Sabiki Tip Tops
Posted by: Bob Jumper (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: October 04, 2015 10:27AM

Bill
Not familiar with sabiki rods but what your describing sounds like page 52 of the SeaGuide corp. catalog.

[issuu.com]

hope this helps, Bob

Posted by: billy broderick (---.cmts.sth3.ptd.net)
Date: October 04, 2015 11:52AM

Bill I haven't had a request for a Sabiki in some time. Fuji had tips for the internal line but I don't see them on there web site anymore. You might want to ask

Posted by: billy broderick (---.cmts.sth3.ptd.net)
Date: October 04, 2015 11:53AM

Jim Ising is the man!!

Date: October 04, 2015 12:44PM

Bob, that is exactly what I am looking for - any idea how to get them?

Have emailed Jim Ising also - thanks Billy.

Posted by: Bob Jumper (---.sub-70-195-136.myvzw.com)
Date: October 04, 2015 03:53PM

They are a sponsor on the left list. Click on name and I see contact info at bottom of page

Posted by: Robert Hummel (---.lightspeed.dybhfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 05, 2015 10:03AM

How do you get the line to the interior of the rod ? Is there a special guide (not sure if that would be the right word) that you use to make the transition to the inside of the blank? I have wanted to make a sabiki rod but I didn't know the components were available.

Posted by: John E Powell (---.dynamic.wnyric.org)
Date: October 05, 2015 10:55AM

Bill, are you sure the sea guide is what you're looking for? I'm pretty sure most Sabiki rods have a larger opening than those - I think the sea guide's are for interline rods. The sabiki has a large bugle shaped opening so the entire sabiki lure can travel through the tip and up inside the blank.

Posted by: Bill Falconer (207.203.39.---)
Date: October 05, 2015 11:29AM

Hello John -

I guess I am looking for both. What I want to be able to do is reel the entire sabiki rig into the rod but have the weight stop at the tip so you don't catch yourself when you walk past your vertical rod holders and brush into the sabiki rods. Which happens approximately 100 times an hour.

I think the sizes the offer will work for smaller sabiki rigs we use most of the time.

I'd really like to find the larger ones you are talking about to handle up to a 1/0 sabiki rig but so far no luck. Following all leads at this point...any direction appreciated.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: October 05, 2015 12:07PM

Check out you tube There are vidios on making one of those rods

Bill - willierods.com

Date: October 05, 2015 12:27PM

I went through a pretty exhaustive search for sabiki rod components earlier this year and could not locate any sources for new tips or any interline guides. Instead, I made my tips by drawing a surface development of a bugle shape, and then cut and silver soldered them together from sheet stock. I rolled the lip by gently raising the stock with a hammer over a small horn. Some grinding, hand filing, buffing, and polishing and I had a hand made tip in a couple of hours.

As for the first guide (close to the reel), I found a couple of broken interline rods by placing a post on a 3-4 Great Lakes trolling forums, I got a response from 1 of them. I traded the guy some repair work on other rods for two broken interline rods and used those. They work well, but because of their small ring size, you can't pull the upper lure(s) through the first interline guide. This limits the number of rigs per line to what fits inside the "blank" or whatever you choose to use, I used a but section of cpvc and a tip section of pex for mine. (painting the pex was disappointing, the customer was happy, I was not).

I am planning to make one for myself at some point. I'll probably make a custom "interline" guide in a similar bugle shape, but elongated and shorter so it sits close to the top of the blank. With a elongated transition opening I should be able to wind the upper lures up onto the conventional reel.

Posted by: Bill Falconer (207.203.39.---)
Date: October 05, 2015 01:57PM

You feel my pain. If you use these things all the time every trip out, it is worth figuring out a better solution.

After leaving a message with Sea Guide, I immediately received a call back from I spoke to the Sales Manager (Russ). They do not currently import these components, but he had a few samples he could share. I'll let you know how they turn out. They currently manufacture several of these guides but they just don't import them.

If the guides work, we could order more as long as we order a minimum lot size. I may do that and make them available. We'll see. If you are interested email me and I'll let you know if I go that route.

The Sea Guide product line that they do import is intriguing...they are mostly OEM right now but should be coming to a store near you soon.

Posted by: Mike Valentine (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: October 06, 2015 12:05AM

Your last post is good news I have a Diawa inline, & a pinnacle inline that both need tips, if you are able to get a few please keep me in mind

Posted by: Lou Auret (204.16.161.---)
Date: October 06, 2015 08:00AM

If you look on you tube you will find plans for the ones using 3/4 inch water pipe.
Around 7 ft is what i use.
Some fiddling around with an old pistol grip rod from a garage sale/goodwill, join the grip and tube and you have the making of something passable.
The join can be whipped with cord to provide a grip.
take 2 x 20 mm cheap single footed low profile guides and bend the foot so it gives an anchor place on the outside of the water piping.
Or cut the one foot off a double footed one.
bind on with thread and epoxy at the reel end.
An old salt water proof zebco works well on these 'rods' and should be around $5 or so at a goodwill.
at the 'tip' end use heat gun and flare it some to maybe 1 inch, drill hole for foot to go thru and inser ring while binding the foot on the outside.
Use epoxy to make a ramp both sides of the inserted ring.
JB weld works well here too.
This will allow the weight to tuck in enough to the tip to not cause issues while travleing or on your beach/pier cart.
You land up with something looking like a mini trumpet on the end of the 'rod'
Including reel( around $5 at goodwill) its a $10 project using scraps and at end of my trip i donate it to a local and repeat for next trip.

I have a 8 foot japanese made one that comes in 3 pieces: got it on sale for around $40 and i mostly use my water pipe ones.

Date: October 06, 2015 08:35AM

Thanks, Lou. I am very familiar with those types as well. Just trying to answer customer requests for something different.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 06, 2015 10:55AM

Never used a sabiki rod for catching bait. But wondering if something like a BnM Cadillac combo could be modified to make a sabiki rod by cutting back one of the telescoping sections so the sabiki rigs could pass. The sections could be glued in place to make it one piece. These rods come with a small cheap reel at the end allowing line to pass through the center of the rod. They are used for freshwater crappie fishing. If anything they would be a lot lighter than pvc tubing.

Posted by: Lou Auret (204.16.161.---)
Date: October 08, 2015 08:24AM

Norman, yes you can cut back a crappie rod.
Then you run into a common problem if you're fishing on a pier or have a railing on your boat: a bunch of small 1# or 1.5 jack/hard tails/runners etc come on thru and chew up your 6 lures and bye bye blank. It pulls it over so fast it smack on the railing and they fail.
The white conduit is very slow action but pretty tough.
I have had success with a seeker S glass blank that lost its tip to a car door.
They are tough/durable and if it was not for the the cost i would use them.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 08, 2015 10:39AM

I see the problem, your bait is larger than I thought! A cheap, tough/durable rod that is comfortable and good looking with a large enough tip to pass the sabiki lures sounds like difficult creature to make. Not a lot of options out thete. Sorry I could not help. Good luck!

Date: October 09, 2015 10:21AM

The ones I needed to make were for catching Great Lakes Alewife, a bait fish that runs 3-5 inches in length.

When I looked over the options at the local plumbing supply store, the only two options that I could find that seemed reasonable were cpvc and pex. Pex is more flexible, but it couldn't support its own weight in a 7' section, but it responded at least somewhat in a shorter section. CPVC was light, but rigid - too rigid for my use.

I decided to buy a 10' section of each and play around with both at home. I also picked up some straight cpvc joints and cpvc adhesive. After playing around with the two, I decided to cut the cpvc in half and use one of the five foot sections for the butt section of my blank. I cut the 10' section of pex into four 2.5' sections to use as my tip section. I used the cpvc adhesive to join the straight cpvc joint to the pipe and then experimented with how to join the pex to the cpvc joint.

I called the mfg. of the pex and got ahold of an engineer there who informed me he wasn’t aware of any specific adhesive that was specifically formulated to join pex and cpvc but he felt that prepping the mating pieces to provide a physical tooth for a traditional adhesive might work well. So I scuffed both the outside of the pex and inside of the fitting. Then I cut a crosshatch pattern in the surface of the pex pipe. I put one together with a paste type epoxy and the other together with a fiber reinforced construction adhesive. To date, both are holding.

I detailed the bugle shaped tip and adapting an interline transition guide in my post above and other than problems with painting the pex, all that was necessary was to fuss with the interior transitions to assure the rig passed through easily without getting hung up. It was a bit of handwork, but not much invested in materials at all.

I had two left over sections of pex so I bought second 10' section of cpvc and prepped all the materials for a second pair of rods (I've yet to build up)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/09/2015 10:23AM by John E Powell.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster