I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Need advice on blanks because I want to build an inshore rod for someone who "breaks" rods:)
Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.lightspeed.miamfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 16, 2015 08:39PM

I met someone through work. A good guy; poor, honest, god fearing christian. We meet about once a month and he always expresses gratitude for things I have mentioned to improve his fishing sucess and reduce damage to rods. I suspect he has never been able to afford a decent rod. He is not from this country and is fairly ignorant of rods and reels. I find myself wishing to help (despite not having the money to help myself).

So I'm looking for a reasonable priced inshore rod. I want it to be a drastic improvment over anything he has ever had. I want it to have some degree of durability. I'd like it to be affordable enough for me to make a gift of it. I'm thinking along the lines of a 7', M to MH, SC2 from rodgeeks.

Lets call my budget around a $100 for the total build. Any blank suggestions are much appreciated. Could be some S-glass blanks or composites out there that would be better choices that I am unaware of. I do think he could be educated to treat something in an appropiate way. For that reason I'm leaning towards 100% graphite. Please help me help a "good guy".

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Need advice on blanks because I want to build an inshore rod for someone who "breaks" rods:)
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: July 16, 2015 09:05PM

About the only way to build a rod that is much more durable than average is to make is from fiberglass or fiberglass composite. So, I would suggest many of the inshore blanks that are available that are either 100% fiberglass, or a composite with a good mix of fiberglass in the blank.

For example:

[www.rainshadowrodblanks.com]

Re: Need advice on blanks because I want to build an inshore rod for someone who "breaks" rods:)
Posted by: john timberlake (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: July 16, 2015 09:15PM

Take a look at the CRB lines at mudhole. There is a good selection depending on what you intend to use it for. The prices are good as is the quality. You should easily stay within your budget.

Posted by: Roger Templon (---.aoo.pa.atlanticbb.net)
Date: July 17, 2015 05:19AM

I also think you should consider the CRB blanks from Mudhole. Inexpensive and tough. I just finished 3 for a man that is "hard on rods".
Rog

Posted by: Capt Neil Faulkner (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: July 17, 2015 08:23AM

Hi,

RODgeeks SG series, fiberglass and durable. I built and now fish on the Sg79mm, mh and hm. They work!

Don't laugh now. The old style solid fiberglass. They are cheap and last forever. The smaller ones are reasonably light weight and catch fish. I still build on them for mates on one of my favorite party boats.

Capt Neil Faulkner

Posted by: David Parsons (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: July 17, 2015 08:56PM

I could not agree more if the person is hard on rods a composite or fiber glass is the ticket the crb are nice rods.

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: July 18, 2015 11:54AM

Hello Russell.

Another vote for the CRB's, I've only gotten 1 back that was broken (12") and that was in a car door, I made it into a heavy bottom rod and the guy is still using it.

Tight Wraps & Tighter Lines.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.lightspeed.miamfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 18, 2015 06:21PM

Which one of the CRB blanks are you guys talking about? I see they have a inshore models but they are currently listed as sold out. They also have e-glass and IM6 ones.

Are they good enough to "be a drastic improvement over anything he has ever had"? Assume has has bought things under the $75 retail mark (I don't actually know).

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: July 19, 2015 12:00PM

Hello Russell.

I've used the Color, Gorilla, and the E-Glass blanks and have had no trouble with any of them, the Gorilla being the toughest but shorter than what you want, the E-Glass would be next and has the largest variety of ratings, then the Color blanks which have the color choices as a main point, in any case your hardest point to cover is getting a rod (Total Build) that is "a drastic improvement over anything he has ever had" under $100.00.

Good Luck Russell.

Tight Wraps & Tighter Lines.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Posted by: steve schuster (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: July 22, 2015 08:32PM

Greetings,

I would suggest you try [www.jannsnetcraft.com]
They stock 7' fiberglass blanks in the 12-30lb range for less than $40.
I have used them before with no issues

Good luck

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster