I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Steps to eliminate Pearlabel decal edges
Posted by: Pat Barnard (12.227.181.---)
Date: July 14, 2015 01:23PM

After much trial and error this is the method I use to virtually eliminate the visible edges on a decal used for Custom fishing rods using the PEARLabel 270 & 360 printers. If you need additional information just let me know.
1. Print decal. Using scissors trim as close as possible to the letters/object. Very sharp scissors are a must to ensure a clean precise cut. The goal is to remove as much of the material surrounding the decal as possible without compromising the letters/object. Do not score/cut the decal backing with the supplied tool; leave backing on, this will be removed in step 5.
2. Prior to decal placement on blank, place a thin coat of finish where decal will be placed, let cure completely. I have used Flexcoat and ProKote with good results.
3. Obtain clear “mild tack” transfer tape and place on TOP of trimmed decal. Press decal into transfer tape to ensure decal is adhered to tape completely; leave paper backing on for now.
4. After finish has cured and just prior to decal placement, warm the finish slightly with a heat gun or blow dryer, use caution, only a few seconds is adequate, do not “cook” the finish.
5. Now remove decal paper backing. A slight bend in the transfer tape will cause backing to pull from decal. Use tweezers for backing removal, do not touch decal adhesive. Carefully place decal in desired location and roll decal/transfer tape to embed decal in warm finish, I use a Brayer roller. CAUTION: Be precise in decal placement and work slowly. Once decal contacts finish it is nearly impossible to remove and reposition. In the event that decal has to be removed due to placement error, removal of decal adhesive from finish is difficult. Goof Off used gently on a lint free coffee filter has worked best for removal. Alcohol was ineffective but can be used as a final wipe once adhesive was removed.
6. Gently remove transfer tape. A gentle wipe of the decal edges with rubbing alcohol is all that is needed to remove any adhesive that has been pressed out during the rolling step, use a lint free coffee filter for this.
7. Coat decal with your favorite finish.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Steps to eliminate Pearlabel decal edges
Posted by: Steve Hartzell (---.cnrocmta01.conrtx.tl.dh.suddenlink.net)
Date: July 14, 2015 02:13PM

Pat,

Good procedure and I have two questions.

1- What brand and where do you obtain the transfer tape? When I've looked for it in the past I've only found it in large size or large quantities.
2- I've been pretty successful using Scotch brand MATTE FINISH REMOVABLE TAPE (not regular Scotch tape)

Steve Hartzell
Lake Conroe - Willis, Texas

Date: July 14, 2015 02:22PM

I obtained the transfer tape from Larry Tobin at LRT group, his company is the one selling the printers.

Pat Barnard

Posted by: David Bourque (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: July 14, 2015 05:02PM

I use scotch brand clear tape. It doesn't leave behind any glue after I burnish the edges. I'm always looking for better ways to build. What's the difference in scotch and transfer tape?

Date: July 14, 2015 05:13PM

Never used the scotch tape. The transfer tape is thicker and easier to handle and can be used multiple times. The type I have has grid lines to aid in precise placement. The low tack feature is a plus as well.

Pat

Posted by: Larry Tobin (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: July 14, 2015 06:31PM

To all my PEARLabel clients. On your next order for labeling tape, I will include at no charge, 2 types of Clear Reusable material. It should last you 6 months or more. I sell the rolls in my sign division but I will start cutting off some for your group. The rolls are 300' long so I have plenty of material.

Larry Tobin
LRT Group, Inc.
www.lrtgroup.com
larry@lrtgroup.com
954-257-6224

Posted by: Bob Jumper (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: July 15, 2015 09:26PM

Thanks for the tips Pat! I will definitely give this a shot, looking forward to having better results with my decals.

Thanks again, Bob

Posted by: ray balmforth (101.190.10.---)
Date: July 16, 2015 06:16PM

Thanks Pat i will be giving this ago next build.The visible edge has been driving me crazy.

cheers....ray

Ray Balmforth
Figtree
NSW
Australia

Posted by: Pat Barnard (---.dh.suddenlink.net)
Date: July 16, 2015 09:50PM

I know the feeling. I guess I am to anal. I have done several rods without trimming and got the edge on the top and bottom of the decal, even after applying a coat of finish first. But once you trim the excess the edges are virtually invisible. Hope it works for you.

Pat

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster