I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Shark rated fly blank
Posted by: Quinn_Canfield (198.182.55.---)
Date: July 09, 2015 10:49AM

I am trying to put together a fly rod for Mako shark fishing in CA. This will be a gift. I've built a ton of fly rods (single and two handed) but never anything this heavy duty. So I have a few questions:

1) What weight blank? I'm guessing 12wt or 14wt
2) Blank suggestions? I'm having a hard time finding many 12wts and I have not found any 14's
3) Reel seats. Obviously aluminum (or titanium) but are some built stronger than others?

I plan on going with 3 stripping guides and then the rest double footed snakes. Most likely a ceramic tip top but I am open to suggestions here as well.

Thanks,
Quinn

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Shark rated fly blank
Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.lightspeed.wepbfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 09, 2015 11:03AM

Quinn
I just delivered a fly rod tuna specific to a customer.
We went with a 7'6", #16 CTS Revo Saltwater.
Personally I think it should have been 8'0". We went with a removable fighting butt to extend length 3".
We used Fuji K Ti framed double foot guides throughout with a matching tip-top.
You could use snakes after the double foot ceramic guides though. If you are using snakes I see no reason to use ceramic on tip-top.
You didn't say what kind of sharks but I assume mako's.
As a CTS Distrib I can get you any wt fly rod - but you would be wise to consider their Revo model in at least a #16 wt.
Let me change that, as you say, to a #12 to #14 because you will need to cast further than for tuna. Unless your customer will be chumming them in close.
[ctsfishing.com]

Regards,
Herb
Distrib. CTS Rod Blanks
PS - Do not consider titanium metal as your seat. It is much harder than aluminum and will destroy your reel foot by eating into it. Been there- done that.
I used the REC all aluminum saltwater RSLL seat. I use that on all my fly rods including long two-handers.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 07/09/2015 11:14AM by Herb Ladenheim.

Posted by: steve george (---.lightspeed.dybhfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 09, 2015 12:26PM

Good feedback from Herb. 14-16 weight depending on average size of the fish, really big fish will need more. Length is a tougher question, longer make casts easier, if we even call them casts. Shorter makes lifting easier, especially if fish have lots of water under them. Big fish that seek refuge in 2,000 feet of water can be a challenge to move. Reel is a much more important than the reel seat, more personal preference on that component. Might want to consider anything except the snakes.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: July 09, 2015 12:36PM

When I built bluewater fly rods, I would typically use SIC guides all the way out. A couple or three high framed models and then double foot lower frame type casting models the rest of the way out.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (172.56.20.---)
Date: July 09, 2015 01:35PM

Pac Bay N style guides that look very much like double foot snakes with a ceramic insert.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: July 09, 2015 01:46PM

Fly fishing for big (6'+) sharks does not involve much fly casting, mostly chum and chuck. A 30 foot cast should be plenty. A competent fly-caster could do this with a broom stick. A fly rod over six feet long is a big disadvantage fighting big sharks; the shorter the better. A roller stripping guide and tip-top would be ideal. Unless the tippet tests over 40 pounds or so any heavy-duty salt water fly reel seat would be strong enough.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: July 09, 2015 01:59PM

Why bother with a fly blank Make it out of say a 6 - 7' spin or cast blank Several here have done this The blank don't know what it is being used for Nice composite

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: john timberlake (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: July 09, 2015 03:28PM

i have used 8ft 3 power popping blank as a fly rod build. It is very powerful and ended up around 11-12 wt. It casts like a rocket especially with a shooting head or slime line. I used a castaway blank. moderate action worked well it has alot of backbone compared to a fly blank. i built it for NC albies and other salt species. if you are close you are welcome to come try it

Posted by: Bill Falconer (---.dhcp.unas.al.charter.com)
Date: July 09, 2015 07:22PM

For what it is worth...I recently built a rod for Yellowfin Tuna in the 100# class. So far it has been a shark rod. But a back bouncing blank is a shockingly castable tool - more than enough for anything I've encountered yet - and has beaten sharks to 8' with ease. I think it goes without saying but regardless of your rod you better have the right reel.

Honestly can't remember if it was an MHX or Lamiglas blank and which one but Todd Vivian helped me pick it. Tom K has been recommending this type of blank for bluewater use for some time.

The CTS blanks are purpose built and very nice...I'd use one without hesitation but didn't have time to get one in for my trip.

Posted by: steve george (---.lightspeed.dybhfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 10, 2015 09:03AM

I will second the recommendation of a back bouncing blank. Some are 8', so casting is still somewhat pretty and the heavy ones could lift fish. I have 3 sitting in a corner from the old days that were done on Loomis blanks. Lots of big fish, only one not released and that was a 103 pound yellowfin that we could not revive. Broke my heart for that beautiful creature to die.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster