I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Spinning rod
Posted by: Glen Hendricks (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 18, 2015 12:15AM

Hello Everyone,
Well its been forever since I posted in here (Work) of course. I am in need of some help,
A guy approached me and ask if I build surf rods, and of course I said yes, well we begin talking
about all the surf rods and bass/trout rods that I have built, so he ask me if I could build him a rod,
and I said sure, but here is the kicker, he is wanting a 9' spinning rod, so here is where I need some help.
I have never built a spinning rod, I have repaired of few.. Ok I am going to use a 9' Gator Blank T90XH with 14 tip
And I am wanting to use the Ring Lock Guides that are Titanium, could you guys tell me which ones to use and what sizes
I need and how many....
Thanks
Glen

I Was Born Without Gills, Therefore I Fish!
Love The Wife! Live Long! Fish Till You Die!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Spinning rod
Posted by: Anonymous User (173.190.45.---)
Date: June 18, 2015 05:54AM

For starters on a 9' spin like that you might want to see how a 50 - 40 - 30 - 20 - 16 - 12 - 10 sizing works.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: June 18, 2015 07:22AM

You need to find out what reel and line size/type he's planning on using. That will help steer folks in the right direction.

Posted by: Michael Danek (192.183.0.---)
Date: June 18, 2015 09:04AM

From my experience there are titanium Y type spinning guides that are tough (not easily bent or broken) and there are titanium guides that are not tough. Alps, Fuji, and dBlue (experience with micros only) are tough. I have no experience with PacBay. I have experience with another popular brand and have found their Y titanium guides very lacking, very different than Alps and Fuji.

I would suggest buying one of the smaller sizes of the brand you are intending to use (less expensive than large sizes) and see if they seem tough enough. I would think a surf rod would need pretty tough guides.

Posted by: Don @ American Tackle (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: June 18, 2015 09:14AM

Mick, since he is wanting ring-lock guides why did you tell him about everything but ring-lock?

Glen, the American Tackle Ring Lock guides are a great choice and our titanium is top notch. Take a look at the Typhoon guides or is you want heavier look at the Virtus. they are available from size 40 down to size 8.

Give us a call if you have any questions... THANKS.

800-516-1750

800-516-1750 ext. 1207 / don@americantackle.us

Rod Building..... It's What We Do.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/18/2015 09:14AM by Don @ American Tackle.

Posted by: John E Powell (---.dynamic.wnyric.org)
Date: June 18, 2015 09:52AM

Tom Kirkman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You need to find out what reel and line size/type
> he's planning on using. That will help steer folks
> in the right direction.
>
> ................

In addition to this, it would be helpful to know about any line splices, leaders, etc that might need to pass through the guides as this would affect ring size.

Date: June 18, 2015 06:58PM

Well on the reel I really don't know what brand of spinning reel he using but it holds
about 350 yards of 40lb Big Game and about 30 yards of 80lb braid for top shot.
The Knot he uses is the FG Knot, hope this helps, and once again thanks for all the help..
Glen

Posted by: David Miller (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: June 20, 2015 06:44PM

Hi Glen,

Sure he isn't using 40lb braid for the main line b/c with mono that would be a huge reel and it would not cast well at all.

I have built a 11ft St Croix spinner and working on an Allstar 10.5ft for light bait and lures. I would suggest to the customer to spend the most $ on a lighter blank and use ringlock in 316 stainless steel. Not knocking the durability of the Gator blanks but they will tire most people out quickly if they cast lures repetively.I suggest taking a look at the Rod Geeks surf blanks or if a 1 piece is ok check out Cousins Tackle 9ft carbon from The Rod Room.

For the first guide size use the spool diameter and divide by 1/2. I use the Fuji concept system to get the line quickly to the lighter runners say 8 or 10 size depending on knot size.

Date: June 21, 2015 05:56PM

Its not a big reel and he's not throwing lures, he will be fishing off the pier for bull red and sharks, the line he has is 40lb mono I help him put it on the reel.
We are not fishing for small stuff, He has a spinning rod for that, He wants the gator glass because its lighter than most blanks.. He knows all about the different
blanks that are out there these days.. Got to give what the customer what they want.. :)
Glen

Posted by: David Miller (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: June 22, 2015 12:12AM

Around here in NC a 9 ft surf rod is casting 1-4 ounce lures or light bait from the sand with a 4000 to 6000 size spinning reel.

I wouldn't have suggested the carbon fiber blanks as that is a completely different conditions to what I thought.

Date: July 04, 2015 07:11PM

Hey Don,
I have a little problem, maybe you can help..
I am building a 10' surf rod and I'm using GTRLS Typhoon Spin/Cast Guides..
The problem that I have is the tip top guide, My blank is an #18 tip and
I would like to get the same tip top the same material that the GTRLS is
made of, I would like to get it in a 10/18 or 12/18 if possible, can you help me out??
Thanks
Glen

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster