I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Fly Rod Blank
Posted by: Michael Blomme (---.direcway.com)
Date: June 16, 2015 06:45PM

Hello Folks,
The last time I built a fly rod for myself was 1986. I had attended a Fly Fishing Expo in Lansing Michigan and had stopped at an Orvis Booth where I cast a 9.5 foot 8 wt Fly rod in their inflated casting pool. My first cast was hideous. I realized that I was trying to force the rod when I should have let the rod show me what it could do. On all subsequent casts I let the rod tell me how to time the casts. After nearly 30 minutes I realized others were waiting to cast and I gave the rod back. I took two weeks to make up my mind to buy that blank from Orvis. I've used that rod for steelhead. I also have fished for Smallmouth Bass and Northern Pike in the BWCA in upper Minnesota.

Now after all this time, I want to build myself another fly rod for trout in mountain rivers in the Oregon Cascades. I want a 9 foot rod which can handle a five or six weight line easily. The blanks I am considering are a ST. Croix SCV, Pac Bay Quickline (I am currently building one for a customer), or a Batson Eternity 2. I would like to have the opinions of those who have built on an Eternity2 and have fished with it. I have built on Batson's RX7 blanks which has moderate action, but I would like to have a fsater action rod. Thanks for any help you can offer.

Sincerely,

Mike Blomme

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fly Rod Blank
Posted by: Ryan McBride (---.wavecable.com)
Date: June 18, 2015 06:41PM

There have been a ton of review on the RainShadow Eternity2 rod blank. Some say its the best they have ever seen! Check around the net or back here!! BTW, hard keeping them in stock since everyone wants one.

R. McBride

Batson Enterprises
BatsonEnterprises.com | RainShadowRodBlanks.com | ALPSForeCast.com | Build2Fish.com

Date: June 19, 2015 12:30AM

Thanks Ryan,
I thought I might get more responses from people who have built on the eternity 2 Blanks. I'm pretty sure that the eternity 2 will be the bank I buy. One concern I have is the color. I was looking for a dark blue Like the Forecast midnight blue rather than a lighter blue. I have only seen the eternity blank on my computer or in magazines. Neither are accurate in displaying color. The other characteristic is the feel of the rod.

I have built two rods that I loved very much. The first was a 7.5 foot 6 weight rod built on a Harnell blank. I lost it when I was casting weighted streamer flies. On a cast I heard a click and didn't realize that I had hit the rod with the weighted streamer. On the next cast the rod cracked. Unfortunately, Harnell was no longer in business. The other was the Orvis rod I described in my Rod Forum post. I only hope that the Eternity 2 will be the third sweet rod. Again, thanks for giving me your feedback.

Sincerely,

Michel Blomme

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: June 25, 2015 03:20PM

Michel,
I have handled the eternity blanks and prefer slightly more stiffness in the body or backbone of the blank. I want it to load fast, get to the water with little effort and lift off easily. I love most of the Batson products as well as admire Bill Batson for his passion in this industry. I like the Sage Method or the TFO BVK. My next 5 weight build will be on one of these with a heavy leaning toward TFO due to the price. My two cents.
Regards,
Lance Schreckenbach

Date: June 26, 2015 03:39PM

Thank you for your comments Lance.

Mike Blomme

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 26, 2015 10:48PM

I have built a number of Eternity 2 fly rods on the 6wt blanks. The first one was for myself as a test, then a number for others after they cast mine. It is, light, fast, and beautiful! I was put off at first by the bright blue, but my customers really like it, so I'm adapting.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/26/2015 10:50PM by Phil Erickson.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster