I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Threadmaster 1
Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.ppoe.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: June 08, 2015 06:13PM

Building a Bamboo fly rod (8 ft 3 pc 5 wt). Customer wants a glossy finish on the whole rod. Will Threadmaster 1 be flexible enough to use ? I would use only one coat I think. I have never used this finish. I don't want to use PG or Varnish. Both dry too fast.

J.B.Hunt
Bowling Green, KY

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Threadmaster 1
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: June 08, 2015 06:15PM

It would be flexible enough, but epoxy isn't really the best product for this job. Try a moisture curing urethane. Iighter, thinner, harder, non-yellowing, but still flexible enough.

Date: June 08, 2015 06:19PM

Ok. Thanks Tom.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 08, 2015 06:57PM

As Tom stated, that is not the product to coat a rod! For Bamboo, varnish is the preferred finish. PG and varnish are vastly different in cure rates, with many varnishes taking a few hours to dry.

Posted by: Bill Hickey (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: June 09, 2015 08:34AM

Many of the well known Bamboo builders use a Marine Grade Spar Varnish. McCloskey Man O War, Helmsman Spar and Epifanes are popular brands. Also many of the folks building Fiberglass fly rods use Spar Varnish too. The Spar Varnish is available at some hardware stores or marine supply stores. There is a bit of a learning curve, like any other thread finish and the Spar Varnish's do have a longer cure time, some take several days to fully harden (depends on the brand and enviromental conditions in your workshop). Several coats are required, one bamboo builder that I know usually goes with 5 to 6 coats and his work is stunning. One of those guys that is at the top of the game in the bamboo world.

Do yourself a favor and use the "right tool for the right job".

There are several forums that cater to bamboo, might want to look into them. Several pro's post on them as well as some hobby builders that turn out some mighty fine work.

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.opera-mini.net)
Date: June 09, 2015 09:21AM

Marine spar varnish. If possible dip the rod- immerse entirely in spar & slowly draw it out . As above depending on the make the spar will take hours to days to fully cure out.
I've had good success over the years using Helmsman which is available at most local hardware/paint stores as well as Lowes & Home Depot. Permanently cap one end of a PVC tube - 1/4 inch diameter will do fine; pour in the spar - if you buy it in a pint screw top can it pours better (but still use a funnel); thumb tack or push pin secure a length of thread to the ferrule end of the cane & dip the cane section - withdraw SLOWLY allowing any excess to run off back into the tube. Hang in a dust free area to dry. Once the first coat is dry use ultra-fine grit (600 or finer) wet/dry emery cloth to LIGHTLY sand the blank. Re-dip & rehang for at least 48 hours. At least this is what works for me.

Date: June 09, 2015 12:20PM

I wish I could dip it. I didn't intend to put anything on it . Now the client wants a glossy shine on it. Handle ,seat, and ferrules are fitted,lapped and epoxied on, ready for guides. Will go with the Marine Spar and put it on by hand. Thanks guys.

J.B.Hunt
Bowling Green, KY

Date: June 09, 2015 12:52PM

After thinking about this a bit a could probably still dip the rod. It is a 3 piece with extra tip. I could seal up the good Nickel Silver ferrules with electrical tape on the first 2 sections. No Guides or tops on the tip sections, no thread any where. What do you think Ken ?

J.B.Hunt
Bowling Green, KY

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: June 09, 2015 04:34PM

This might come as a surprise, but some of the most highly esteemed bamboo fly rods are/were dipped, after they have been fitted out and wrapped. No kidding.

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.opera-mini.net)
Date: June 10, 2015 07:39AM

Like Tom posted. Nearly all the "collectable" bamboo rods were dipped after all the guides were wrapped. For your application you could certainly tape off the ferrules & dip the rod. Dipping is the best way to ensure a complete coverage. Since this is a 3 piece rod the tube length probably needs to be no longer than 36" . Alternately you could also rub on the spar - but understand that spar dries very slowly so the rod will have to be put in a continuous run dryer for a MINIMUM of 16 hours

Date: June 10, 2015 02:19PM

I am not surprised. Every old rod I ever saw had been dipped after it was completed. Varnish still on the guides.

Thanks Ken. I have cleaned and set up a 36" piece of 1/2 inch PVC. I will give it a shot.

J.B.Hunt
Bowling Green, KY

Posted by: eric zamora (---.lightspeed.frsnca.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 10, 2015 02:55PM

you could also just use a turkey baster and coat the rod as it's vertical. not that i've done it but i've followed a ton of threads on bamboo forums over the years. some even wipe on with their fingers and then let hang. i don't understand your comment that varnish dries too fast. my understanding is it dries slow, taking days or weeks to fully cure. not sure about the urethanes.

there are also various finishes available with spar varnish. glossy, satin, semi...

good luck and let us know how it turns out.

eric
fresno, ca.

Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: June 10, 2015 06:46PM

It is not that difficult to apply the varnish with a cheese cloth pad and wiping the blank with it. Do multiple thin coats that won't take so long to dry.

Date: June 11, 2015 03:41PM

Eric, everything I've got is ( I think) moisture curing, dries extremely fast. I got a bottle of Threadmaster Rod Varnish and it dried extremely fast on a test run so it must be moisture curing also. I am on my way to get some good urethane and put it on with my fingers just like I used to do gun stocks with Tru Oil.

J.B.Hunt
Bowling Green, KY

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster