I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Opinions on what brand and color of thread best match a matte plain graphite blank?
Posted by: Tony C Robinson (---.hsd1.tn.comcast.net)
Date: May 05, 2015 10:15PM

Specifically MHX blanks. I would prefer a ncp for simplicity and to conceal the guide feet.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Opinions on what brand and color of thread best match a matte plain graphite blank?
Posted by: Ron Weber (---.ph.ph.cox.net)
Date: May 05, 2015 11:32PM

Garnet goes very well with it

Ron Weber

Re: Opinions on what brand and color of thread best match a matte plain graphite blank?
Posted by: Bill Hickey (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: May 06, 2015 07:03AM

I'll second Ron's color choice, thats is my favorite color for a blank of that color. Rust or a Dark Orange will also look very cool. Best bet is to buy a couple of colors and do some test wraps on the section where the grip and reel seat go.

Get both regular and ncp thread in the same colors, you might be suprised at the look of NCP thread for a full guide wrap.

Posted by: Robert Metzger (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: May 06, 2015 07:31AM

If you want it to blend in with the graphite you might try Fish Hawk Charcoal #441

Posted by: Nate Nelson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: May 06, 2015 09:25AM

I've used both NCP and regular Nylon and don't yet have a preference. The NCP will really make the color "pop" whereas the Nylon will give it a more subtle but elegant look. I like the ProWrap Resfish and Fishhawk 638 for Nylon and have used an old Gudebrod 638 NCP that. Looks really neat with a nice blue. No matter what you choose, I like the look of a matte black blank much more than colored ones because you can choose the color pallete you or your customer want versus working within the confines of a colored blank and finding something that pairs well with it.

Posted by: Bob Riggins (---.biz.bhn.net)
Date: May 06, 2015 09:38AM

To me matte graphite is like a blank canvas, you can do just about anything with it. I started out using garnet on them, but know I use about anything. Most of my school themed rods are on this blank, so I've used red/white, blue/orange, green/gold and blue/silver. All of them look good.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/06/2015 09:39AM by Bob Riggins.

Posted by: Michael Blomme (---.direcway.com)
Date: May 06, 2015 10:29AM

If you have read the posts, you can see the common theme is: use whatever color you like. People who choose colors when designing clothes for the wealthy and famous may want to dither over just the right shade or color, but rod builders don't have to or need to. Have fun.
Mike Blomme

Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: May 06, 2015 11:25AM

I like black with either gold or copper metallic trim.

Posted by: Donald R Campbell (---.lsanca.fios.verizon.net)
Date: May 06, 2015 11:46AM

Tony C Robinson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Specifically MHX blanks. I would prefer a ncp for
> simplicity and to conceal the guide feet.

Tony,

I don't know about the NCP threads, but on Metallic The Mudhole ProWrap Silverback #9840 matches their blanks very well. I have one customer who always prefers this color. I just finished a Mudhole DS Rod for him and wrapped it with the metallic Silverback and it matched the blank color very closely.

Don Campbell
don@sensorfishingrods.com

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: May 06, 2015 02:00PM

Another option is to use black.

Black essentially goes with any blank color.

Be safe

Posted by: John E Powell (---.dynamic.wnyric.org)
Date: May 07, 2015 09:32AM

Tony C Robinson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Specifically MHX blanks. I would prefer a ncp for
> simplicity and to conceal the guide feet.

Tony are you asking for a recommendation of complimentary colors or a shade of gray that closely matches the blank? What do you mean by 'best match" in the thread title?

Posted by: Tony C Robinson (---.hsd1.tn.comcast.net)
Date: May 07, 2015 09:17PM

Thanks everybody for the feedback. What I meant was what color most closely resembles the blank, but the ideas for complimentary colors are a great bonus.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster