I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Tip for putting new sand paper on cork reamers.
Posted by: Jim Howell (---.dhcp.mtgm.al.charter.com)
Date: April 09, 2015 12:23PM

I just want to share a tip. I have a great set of cork reamers I got through mud hole. The sand paper has worn out on them and I did not want to pay for new ones. I heated up the end of the old sand paper with my alcohol burner. The I peeled it off and cleaned up the reamer. I used the old strip as a pattern and cut anew strip off of 80 grit sheet of sandpaper. It actually took two strips to run the length of the reamer . I decided to use the same thirty min. epoxy as I use for my corks to attach it. I used a brush and coated the back of the strip with this epoxy. Now for the problem, it has to be stretched and held tight for a long time which I do not have the patience for. I found that the heavy legal clamps that people use for files was perfect for the job. The next one that I did, I just put the glue on the strip a little bit at a time and would clamp it. Then I moved to the next section and did the same until done. This worked out perfect.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Tip for putting new sand paper on cork reamers.
Posted by: ricky espenschied (---.dhcp.missouri.edu)
Date: April 09, 2015 02:35PM

Epoxy works but next time use contact cement. LOt easier and not as messy
Ricky

Posted by: Lance Dupre (---.lightspeed.nworla.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 09, 2015 03:39PM

I've said it many times before. Contact cement on both parts, heavily applied, let sit for 15 minutes, then spiral up or down your reamer blank. No mess to clean, no clamps or tie off material. Just let the glue cure about a day before use.

Lance

Date: April 09, 2015 07:36PM

I am new to this forum so this is the first I have heard of that. As I live on the lake and 15 miles from the closest store I always work with what I have on hand. By just mixing a small amount of epoxy and brushing it on the back of the sandpaper strip it was really not much trouble and the whole process with the legal clamps I had on hand took less than ten min. However I went into town to watch the elite series weigh in and picked up some contact cement. I am sure that will work well and I will try it on the next size reamer as it needs replacing also. Thanks for the advice.

Posted by: rick humphrey (---.bchsia.telus.net)
Date: April 09, 2015 09:45PM

Another reamer idea:

I spiralled 1/4" masking tape, leaving a 1/2" gap between spiralls, along the length of a piece of old rod blank. (actually, a set of different sizes) I coated it all with epoxy, rolled it in silicon carbide grit, then immediately peeled the tape off and allowed the glue to dry. This gave me a 1/2" grit strip plus a 1/4" clearing channel. I didn't have to worry about fiddling with gluing sandpaper strips. It works very well. I either ream by hand, or clamp the reamer in a drill chuck and power-ream the cork. I did find it best to run the drill so that the reamer runs in reverse. This gives me better control of how much I ream out. The grit can be found at lapidary suppliers and comes in grits from 80 thru to 400 or so.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 09, 2015 10:52PM

Be very very careful using the epoxied grit method. The grit can and does come off the reamer inside the cork or foam cores. If you do not get this all out before putting it on the blank, the grit can badly scratch the blank, especially noticeable on a colored blank! I speak from experience. This does not happen with the sandpaper reamers.

Posted by: Jimmy Crain Jr (---.ph.ph.cox.net)
Date: April 10, 2015 12:08AM

It can happen with the sandpaper reamers to. I'v done it lol. But what happen is a small section of the sandpaper strip came off inside without me noticing it. To be fair this was reaming out a piece of acrylic and not cork though, so I probolly had it comming.

Posted by: Lance Dupre (---.lightspeed.nworla.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 10, 2015 11:02AM

Also , the contact cement has a much higher tolerance to heat than epoxy. So if you choose to ream by power , whether on a lathe or drill, the reamer made with contact cement will last much longer.

Lance

Date: April 10, 2015 11:43AM

That is a definite plus. I do ream with a drill. It will be interesting to see how the epoxy holds up as I have already used it. I will do the next size up with the contact and see which one holds up the best!

Posted by: Donald R Campbell (---.lsanca.fios.verizon.net)
Date: April 10, 2015 12:07PM

Lance,

Thank you for suggesting the use of contact cement rather than epoxy. I bought a set of reamers from Mudhole with the silicon grit and learned the hard way the first time I used them with my drill. I overheated the reamer grit reaming out an 8" cork handle and ended up with a reamer, less the grit and a cork grip stuffed full of the grit from the reamer. Obviously the contact cement works with sand pager; but not silicon grit. Check?

Don Campbell
don@sensorfishingrods.com

Date: April 10, 2015 12:30PM

I only use a variable speed drill and ream at the lowest speed that will let me get the job done as to many RPM will wear out the sand paper and risk the grit coming off.

Posted by: Bill Cohen (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: April 10, 2015 05:03PM

For reamers I buy used golf club handles the graphite ones (thrift shop) they are very sturdy and can be chucked . Last time I used 5 min. epoxy . Took a rubber band and secured the top of the sand paper strip spiralled down and held the end for a few moments. I used it with in 15 min with out a problem and have used it several times after. For smaller reamers I save the left over rods and scrap Look for rods that have been throwen away.Live in a fishing area. I put at least 2or 3 smaller pieces glued inside where its going to be chucked for more strength. For sandpaper I buy the sander belts and cut to size.

Posted by: rick humphrey (---.bchsia.telus.net)
Date: April 10, 2015 08:48PM

Phil Erickson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Be very very careful using the epoxied grit
> method. The grit can and does come off the reamer
> inside the cork or foam cores. If you do not get
> this all out before putting it on the blank, the
> grit can badly scratch the blank, especially
> noticeable on a colored blank! I speak from
> experience. This does not happen with the
> sandpaper reamers.

Good headsup! Think I'll go back to sandpaper.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/10/2015 08:48PM by rick humphrey.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: April 10, 2015 11:37PM

I made my own reamers out of pieces of old fishing rod blanks, using rubber cement. It worked beautifully once I I got the right kind of cement. Don't expect to buy rubber cement from a craft store and have it work, because I won't. At least it didn't for me. Go to a Lowe's or Home Depot or that type of store and buy a good heavy duty contact cement if you want the job to last.

I used sanding belts to make my strips out of, and even after 2 coats, the cloth material just absorbed the cheap cement. Didn't have that problem once I went to the good stuff.

Posted by: Steven Paris (---.dsl.louisacomm.net)
Date: April 15, 2015 03:54PM

ricky espenschied Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Epoxy works but next time use contact cement. LOt
> easier and not as messy
> Ricky
x2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster