I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: aligning guides
Posted by: Michael Danek (---.adr02.mskg.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: April 07, 2015 06:11PM

Never have so many tried so hard to to help with such little success in my understanding what the heck is going on. Not your problem, mine.
I do use a chopped off reel foot, but then just sight down the blank from it, tie on the guides, do whatever adjustment is necessary before applying finish (by eye-my corrective lens work well and better than any other method I've tried). I only have one rod I've done where now I ask how the heck did I miss that?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: April 07, 2015 07:08PM

Maybe you were trying to hard and working to fast I have and then had to do over

I do just like you Look down with the bottom section of the feet of a reel Of course a cheep one
I also use it with a V cut in the top and lay line in to alian for spiral rods Could just use the reel but if I don't have it just ask what reel they will use Look it up then figure how the line comes off it for the height of the line

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: David Parsons (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: April 07, 2015 07:12PM

I have a wooden fixture that holds a deck plate off of a penn conventional reel which when put into a reel seat will hold the rod straight or level for putting guides on i use a over head light that shines to shows the top of the ridge of the blank. I turn the rod over to put the tip on because i found it was easy to line it up from the back.

Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: April 07, 2015 07:20PM

Michael, what is it you don't understand that is going on?

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: April 07, 2015 07:32PM

I love it

There are so many different ways for builders to figure out how to do ( the same thing ) And each are as good as the next

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: John E Powell (---.dynamic.wnyric.org)
Date: April 08, 2015 07:41AM

Okay, the line level got me, i did not understand you were just using the level itself from a line level.

I mount a conventional reel to the seat and just lay a 12" level side to side across the frame and align the seat to the tip to make sure they are in alignment with each other, and then I set it aside until the seat epoxy cures. After that, the reel is removed and guides are aligned to the tip.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: April 08, 2015 11:14AM

Michael,
It took me a while to get with this program as well.

Several of the builders who wrote about the use of a chopped off reel seat and a line level, are essentially using these two things to get the rod blank rotated so that the top side of the rod blank is at exactly 0 degrees.

They do this by having the line level at 90 degrees to the vertical reel seat post.

Now, if you have the rod in v blocks or rod rests, you lock the rod in this configuration. Then, all that you have to do, is to either mark, or simply align each of the guides so that the top of the guide falls on the 0 degree mark that you can place on the top of the blank, down the length of the blank.

I personally do about the same thing. I site down the guide side of the blank with the use of a reel, or with the use of a reel post and then, use a piece of tape a few inches long to mark the 0 degree centerline of the blank. By having the 0 degree reference 1/2 way down the blank, it is pretty easy to align each guide to that 0 degree center line.

Then, after everything has been wrapped, a final sighting down both the guide side of the blank, as well as the non guide side of the blank, using a lot of light against a light background to verify that all guides are on the same line.

Take care

Posted by: Bill Cohen (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: April 08, 2015 01:24PM

Thank you I got it now, thanks for the replys . I will give them all a try!

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.lightspeed.miamfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 08, 2015 05:55PM

BTW, you can just use a conventional reel. Wider the spool the better. Assuming bench isn't warped just put it in reel seat and lay the reel frame on the table. Top and bottom of blank are now...well....at top and bottom:)

Also find the glare line from a flourescent light is one more tool at your disposal.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster