I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

First boat rod built...need advice
Posted by: Bob Veasey (---.phlapa.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 10, 2015 02:51PM

Hello all, I'll try to keep this short. I have a boat rod of my Fathers. Harnell blankon the 50's two piece style wooden grip and handle. The chromed brass reel seat is green and toast so I want to turn it into a one piece. It's 6'6" total length. I cut the reel seat off and now trying to figure how to make a one piece. My idea is to turn down the wooden grip and handle to a comfortable diameter,epoxy them together as normal with a reel seat and wrap a cris cross pattern with waterproof twine and cover the wood with that textured shrink wrap like Mudhole sells. Tell me if you think this is a good plan or other suggestions. Also, being this is my first boat rod(I usually build fly rods) how many guides should I use and spaceing info. Thanks for all your help.....bob v

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: First boat rod built...need advice
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 10, 2015 03:25PM

Bob,
It sounds like you want to rebuild the rod with current components.

If so, just cut off the reel seat and the grip, sand down the blank to get rid of all glue residue. Then, strip off all guides and clean off all remains of the guide wraps and wrapping finish.

If you need to join two piece of blank, just use a metal ferrule of the correct size to join the two pieces into a one piece rod and glue solid.

Select a new reel seat that will work for the reel you want to use, an EVA back and fore grip, glue up and tie on a current set of Boat guides for the blank.

The normal rule for guides is rod length of 1 guide per foot plus one.

Good luck

Date: March 10, 2015 03:43PM

I don't have to join the blank, it's the two piece handle that is perplexing. Yes you are right, I'm stripping it all the way down and re-doing it, but joining the two wooden handles is the problem. Or cut it off at the fore grip and add a stint to form a handle but that would mean adding a piece inside the blank and I think it would change the action too much........bob v

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 10, 2015 05:09PM

Bob,
Can you take some pictures and post them in the photo section?

Posted by: Kevin Boonstra (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 10, 2015 05:18PM

Usually those type of rods were two piece with the ferrule at the reel seat. If you cut it at the ends of the wood grips you may have cut the ferrule off that holds a couple inches of the end of the blank.

Posted by: David Parsons (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: March 10, 2015 06:34PM

bob if the two piece is at the reel seat just get a reel seat thatis two peice they are still for sale.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.lightspeed.miamfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 10, 2015 08:42PM

Bob, I'd have to see a picture to be sure....but on some of the older rods the handle was, in effect, and extension to make the rod a given finished length. If yours is like that.....you might consider a "slick butt" with aluminum tube and reel seat.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Date: March 11, 2015 03:19PM

roger wilson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Bob,
> Can you take some pictures and post them in the
> photo section?

I can not send pics. The site won't let me log in for some reason. But follow this thread and I'll try to explain.....bob v

Date: March 11, 2015 03:21PM

Kevin, I did not cut either the wooden handle or the fore grip. I cut the metal between them. they are still in tact.....bob v

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster