I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

black thread finish problem
Posted by: joe ponzio (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: March 07, 2015 08:53AM

I just finished 3 one inch test wraps of black nylon(different mfgrs) on a black blank. Gudebrod and 2 others of which I won't mention as one is pure Cxxp. I made sure the wraps were packed tight and applied
Flex coat to the threads using no CP. When cured I took a jewelers eyepiece and noticed individual threads intermittently had lost the black dye and the natural nylon color was showing through. This sequence appeared on all 3 wraps with Gudebrod being the least.
I hesitate to blame Flex Coat as there must be some explanation as to why this happens. I am aware that most suggest no CP on black nylon but something is allowing the dye to be stripped off of the thread.
By the way I applied the finish on an 18 rpm motor.
I mean no disrespect but I would leave this to the most experienced on this site for an explanation.
Thanks,
Joe

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: black thread finish problem
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 07, 2015 09:28AM

Joe,
Actually, I have never heard of this issue before.
I suppose that it might be possible that the color could be lost if there was a great deal of packing done with a packing tool.

Just as another test, do another test wrap, without use of any packing tool before you do the finish test.

I generally use a packing tool very little. I just keep a very tight tension on the thread, and use about a 10 to 15 degree offset on the incoming thread and there is generally no need for additional packing. If I do any packing, I use the edge of my plastic packing tool.

What is the particular tool that you use for packing?

I suppose that you could do another test where you take each of your thread types and lay the thread out on a hard surface and go after the thread in the same way as you do, when you pack the thread. Then, look at the thread under the magnifier and see what the thread looks like before and after packing.

Let us know what you find.

p.s.
This is the style "burnishing and packing" tool that I currently use for my thread packing and burnishing.
[www.mudhole.com]

Good luck

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: March 07, 2015 09:43AM

I'm wondering how much magnification you are using ? As stated make a few more wraps and inspect before applying finish. Is the condition visible to the naked eye ? I go over decorative wraps looking for gaps with 2.0 reading glasses and I find some I would most likely never see otherwise. Just wondering if the magnification is discovering a problem that is really irrelevant.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Date: March 07, 2015 10:35AM

Answer to your questions-1 the wraps were not burnished the packing was done from the edges just pushing the wraps together Nothing touched the main body of the wrap.
2-the condition is visible to the naked eye in the light- the eyepiece allows for extremely clear picture of the individual threads. The Flex Coat is dead clear so it wasn't a mix problem.
If the threads were running longitudinally they would appear to be tiny hairline cracks. I assure you this is not the case!

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 07, 2015 03:20PM

Joe, have you done a test wraps without the epoxy, and used the eyepiece to look at it? Also, what size thread are you using?

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 07, 2015 03:51PM

If it looks good out side in the sun without the glass --- it's done

Bill - willierods.com

Date: March 07, 2015 05:29PM

I wrapped some just now without epoxy and the threads are black using the eyepiece . In answer to Bill -It's not done-out in the sun it can be seen clearly through the finish

Date: March 07, 2015 06:05PM

I have never seen this with any black thread I guess this is Regular nylon thread Not NCP thread It will have a different color

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 07, 2015 06:29PM

I'm not sure you have a dye issue, it may be an optical issue, reflections or something. Three different brands of thread, long proven epoxy, apparently never experienced before, makes me really suspicious it is not as it may appear.

Date: March 08, 2015 10:06AM

Is it possible to remove the wrap and inspect the thread? I sure would like to see a picture . With my iPhone I can edit a photo and zoom way in.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: Bill Hickey (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: March 08, 2015 10:58AM

The Flex Coat you used, did you "thin" it with anything or apply it straight up?

Reason I ask is that I saw a similar problem once where a builder used a Solvent to thin the finish.

Posted by: Dennis Danku (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 09, 2015 12:17AM

Joe,If you don't think it was the Flex-Coat then it had to be something on your hands. Flex-Coat is not a bad product but,(in me own experiance) is the only one I ever had an issue with blushing and flash set up after mixing with the correct 50/50 mix. I don't think Flex-Coat had anything to do with it eather, are you sure that's not air trapped or imbedded in the thread fibers.Did you use any sort of heat to disperse the air or moisture from within the mix?

Dennis J. Danku
(Sayreville,NJ)

Date: March 09, 2015 09:16AM

if you have another spool of blank try a tst wrap See if it happens again
I use flexcoat UV and thin it have not seen anything on black

Bill - willierods.com

Date: March 10, 2015 07:47AM

I'm back,
I did my last test. I've had it. However I am leaning towards it being a thread tension problem. I used the same blk. nylon ,this time with CP and without CP-same flex coat lite build. The lines appeared just as before.
This time I varied the tension on the threads from light to extremely tight. My best example of the lines showing up is that if you took a solid white blank and painted it with black paint and after it dried you took a pin and made a series of scratches in the black paint while the rod was rotating , you wind up with whitish marks along the blank
On this last test some areas were fine(solid black) and other areas had the lines, some singular and some multiple that could be seen through the finish.
I can't think of anything else it could be. Thread was good. finish was good. dry temp good, rotation at 18 rpms.

Well that's it ,
Joe

Date: March 10, 2015 10:50AM

Pictures would certainly help

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 10, 2015 11:40AM

Joe,
What are you using for a thread tension device?
Do you think that you are changing the thread from the thread tension device?

I use the simple spring loaded pair of disks to apply tension on the thread as I wrap. I have personally never experienced the issue that you are having.

If you suspect that it could be the tension device, use a tension device that puts tension on the thread spool, rather than the thread.

Also, just as a double check, if you do use the disk / spring tension device, disassemble the tension device and check the face of each disk for burrs or anything that might damage the thread. If in doubt, polish the disks, using polishing compound and a polishing wheel, or similar device.

Good luck

Date: March 10, 2015 01:57PM

You can also try wrapping a piece of scrap blank Not using the tensioner put put some tension on the thread with ( clean ) finger pressure Then see how it looks
As said tension on the spool keeps the thread cleaner

Bill - willierods.com

Date: March 12, 2015 12:15PM

Finally solved the problem!
I took a piece of 1"smooth charcoal blank. I figured the result would be more pronounced. I wrapped 2 inches of black nylon A and varied the thread tension from light to real tight and put a coat of CP on it.
The thread produced gaps that you could not see unless you had a strong magnifier. I applied FC finish epoxy and let it cure.
As I suspected the lines showed up! The lines were less wide than the A thread itself and were whitish to slightly yellowish looking. It turned out that that the lines produced is epoxy in the gaps and depending on the lighting can be seen more or less. Not all of the wrap was affected, only where there were gaps that could not be seen with the eye.
What I took from this is:
make sure tension is constant and not too tight
make sure the wraps are packed and burnished properly done under strong lighting
and IMPORTANT!- Don't ever use CP on black nylon unless you want greyish looking wraps.

Thanks to all for trying to help ,
Joe

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/12/2015 12:18PM by joe ponzio.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster