I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Cp I am having problems
Posted by: gabriele schieda (---.tor.primus.ca)
Date: February 15, 2015 12:29PM

I have had good luck with Cp but lately it hasn't gone good. Could it be cause the Cp is getting old? I am using color lock. Can I thin it a bit for better Penetration. So frustrating this is the second strip down.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Cp I am having problems
Date: February 15, 2015 12:44PM

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 15, 2015 12:56PM

It's obvious that the ends of the wrap didn't have sufficient CP on them to prevent epoxy from penetrating the thread. The fact that it happened at both ends, but not at all in the middle would seem to indicate, possibly, that the CP itself is fine but you didn't get enough on the edges. This is a hard call from one photo.

Given the low cost of CP, you'd be better off buying a new bottle. You can certainly thin what you have with water, just a tad, but I'd try it on a test wrap to be sure. And, on light colored threads like that light blue, I'd use two wet coats.

Date: February 15, 2015 03:30PM

Thanks Tom I will give that a shot. I will say hi at the show driving down again from Toronto. This time more than 2 hours at the show.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 15, 2015 04:59PM

Hopefully the weather will cooperate for you, and everyone else. Looks like some nasty stuff early in the week, then just cold and sunny on through the weekend.

Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: February 15, 2015 07:32PM

Ralph O'Quinn had a great article about CP in a Rodmaker Issue awhile back. Two takeaways from that:

1. Don't thin it. (although if it's old and has had some evaporation, it's always worth a try)
2. Don't wipe off the excess.

X2 on Tom's suggestions. You really have to make sure that all the edges are sealed and you get CP in the tunnel under the foot. All it takes for one missed spot and the finish will flow under the CP and darken your wrap. 2 coats are a good idea for light thread on a dark blank.

Good luck at the show and have a great time.

Terry

Posted by: Garry Thornton (---.natsow.res.rr.com)
Date: February 16, 2015 01:20AM

I own CP. It's handy as a glue to hold things together, but I no longer use it to preserve thread color.
Once, in my CP days, I was rushing to finish a rod and had a white cloud appear in a wrap after the finish dried.
I think the problem was moisture trapped inside.
Now , for everything but black, I order color fast thread.
I get the color I bought, and I'm not sitting around waiting and wondering if the CP is dry 100%.

Posted by: Ray Zarychta (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: February 16, 2015 08:25AM

I always find the CP threads interesting. I've been a hobby builder since about 1995 and have over 300 rods under my belt and use CP 95% of the time and have never had a problem with blotching. This is not a brag, just an observation. I go with two coats, waiting for each to dry thoroughly, insuring I get some in the tunnels. For the past couple of years I have switched to Cason's clear CP so there is no chance for a white residue. I guess I've just been lucky or that following instructions produce the desired results.

Ray Zarychta
Glastonbury, CT

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster