I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Magnifier Recommendation
Posted by: Chad Barlongo (---.hawaii.res.rr.com)
Date: February 09, 2015 05:08PM

Hello,

Does anyone have a suggestion for a good magnifying glass to use on wraps, preferably something that won't break the bank?

Most of the posts I read on this topic are from a few years back, so wondering if there is anything new.

I have been using a 10x jeweler's loupe, but don't have good eyesight to begin with and still struggle counting bands of thread.

-chad

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Magnifier Recommendation
Posted by: Bill Falconer (207.203.39.---)
Date: February 09, 2015 05:23PM

Forgive the simple cave man logic here, but if your eyes are good simple reading glasses or 'cheaters' blow things up significantly for fine detail work. Try 1.5+ to start and see what you think. I usually pay less than $3 a pair at Walmart. I don't need them to read but they are like a big screen HD TV for tying flies or building rods.

Posted by: Garry Thornton (---.natsow.res.rr.com)
Date: February 09, 2015 05:26PM

I bought a great clamp-on magnifier lamp from Harbor Freight for about $25.00 .

Posted by: Robert Hummel (---.lightspeed.dybhfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 09, 2015 05:56PM

I use the type that comes with a headband and has a number of interchangeable different strength lens. Works well enough for me and was fairly inexpensive. I think I bought it from Mudhole.

Posted by: Jerry Poindexter (---.tx.res.rr.com)
Date: February 09, 2015 06:50PM

I wear expensive scopes for my day job, but prefer the inexpensive headstrap magnifyers for rodbuilding...HF used to have #95890...they offer a much larger field of view than the optivisors, etc., and come w/ several lenses. Maybe $15, but you'll have to search the sites to find them now.

Posted by: curtis drumm (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: February 09, 2015 08:32PM

The office depot has a magnifier work lamp, on articulating arm , large lense surrounded by LEDs, bright and good magnafacation I think it was about 30.00.

Curt

Posted by: Donald Becker (---.hawaiiantel.net)
Date: February 10, 2015 12:24AM

Chad,

If you have an iPhone, you may want to try magnifying glass from iTunes.

The zoom is from 1x to 5x and you can control the phones light.

Don Becker

Date: February 10, 2015 02:52AM

Thank you all very much, good to see I have more than a few options available.

-chad

Posted by: John E Powell (---.dynamic.wnyric.org)
Date: February 10, 2015 09:26AM

I often use my cell phone camera and zoom in to look at everyday things up close. Sometimes even the strong reading glasses I carry are not enough.

Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: February 10, 2015 09:57AM

I guess I'm lucky in that I can use a pair of cheaters at 1.25 or 1.50 magnification with a good light for all my close work. I do have a head mounted magnifier with interchangeable lenses but it's not very comfortable to wear and the lenses are too strong and seem to have a very short focus area. I have to have my head in just the right spot to have clear vision of my work area.

I find the lighting to be just as important as the magnification. You might try a better work light in your current space in addition to different magnification.

Terry

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: February 10, 2015 11:29AM

Chad,
1. If you normally use glasses for seeing, both single vision, bifocals, trifocals or multi vision glasses, I would suggest the following.
2. Obtain a pair of single vision glasses that are set up for viewing a computer screen at about 25 inches or so.
The reason that I suggest this, is that 25 inches is a pretty common "arms length" field of vision that is used for many day to day activities, like working on cars, in the garage, or other common chores, as well as doing any sort of computer work.
With single vision glasses, you can tilt your head in any direction, and you will have excellent vision since the glasses are single vision.
3. Then, obtain a head band mounted magnifier with different power magnifiers. Depending on your needs, the power can be any thing from .5 to 2,5,10 or more.
The advantage of using a pair of single vision glasses with a focal length of 20 inches, is that then; with the head band mounted magnifiers up to about 3 or so, you will have a focal length of about 12 or 15 inches which is about ideal for rod wrapping.
This is the advantage of using the single vision glasses with the greater focal lenghth than say a pair of reading glasses with a magnifier with say 5 or more. With a single pair of glasses with this amount of magnification, you will have a focal length of 2 or 3 inches which makes it very difficult to work. Tough to work when your eyes are that close to the work.

If you have the prescription, you can get a pair of single vision glasses with plastic lenses and frames for about $30-$40 at Walmart or similar stores. Walmart actually gives very good optical vision help at very reasonable prices.
Lens in particular typically cost $2-$10 per lens - no matter what they sell to you for. The frames typically cost $3-$15 no matter what they sell to you for. This is the reason that there are so many optical services available. Really high mark ups for services that cost just a fraction of what the final customer is charged.

Here is a variety of head band mounted magnifiers:
[www.amazon.com]

A magnifier like this one is lighter and less bothersome to wear for very long periods of time:
[www.amazon.com]

or:
[www.amazon.com]

By the way, I do have several pairs of single vision glasses with different focal lenghths. Reading glasses - 12 inches. Computer glasses 28 inches. Tv glasses 10 feet. Then trifocals for every day use, with distance, midrange and vision in one pair.
I personally tried varivision glasses for a couple of months, but could not stand the very small area where any one focal length was in focus. I would much rather have large viewing areas and carry the extra glasses if needed.

I keep separate pairs of computer and reading glasses at my computers as well as my rod building station. That way, I have the right pair handy at all times when working.

X1000 on the other comments about having a very very bright light in the rod building shop for the detail work necessary for wrapping. You need good bright general lighting throughout the shop, but you then need light that is about double that brightness for the detail work of rod wrapping etc.

Also, as eyes age, the amount of magnification required, and the amount of light required for good viewing continues to increase. Just part of the aging process.

I like to have rather intense natural colored light sources about 8-10 inches from my wrapping to eliminate any shadows or dark spots in the rod wrapping field. If you can't see it, you can't do a good job.

An example of the amount of light that I obtain from the Halogen swing arm light that I have used for rod building:
[www.rodbuilding.org]

Notice the single vision glasses on the right and the head band mounted magnifier from my rod building area of a couple years ago:
[www.rodbuilding.org]

Be safe

Posted by: Harry Bell (---.dhcp.aldl.mi.charter.com)
Date: February 10, 2015 07:18PM

Take a look at Dental Loupes and headlamps on @#$%&. The 3.5X with 320mm focal length are pretty good for the price. Loupes without headlamp go for around $60.00
You can find a few other types of magnifiers by noodling around and using different search keywords, like jewelers loupes, magnifier headband, etc.

Posted by: Harry Bell (---.dhcp.aldl.mi.charter.com)
Date: February 10, 2015 07:18PM

Take a look at Dental Loupes and headlamps on @#$%&. The 3.5X with 320mm focal length are pretty good for the price. Loupes without headlamp go for around $60.00
You can find a few other types of magnifiers by noodling around and using different search keywords, like jewelers loupes, magnifier headband, etc.

Posted by: Ron Orga (---.nrflva.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 10, 2015 07:58PM

I use the "LED Light Headband Head Glasses Magnifier Reading Antiques Jewelry Stamp Repair Tools 4 Lenses." The light is useless but there are 4 different lenses so you can be sure one will work for you. I purchased 2 of them at Harbour Freight for under 10.00 each with a coupon. they work great.

Posted by: Robert Hummel (---.lightspeed.dybhfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 12, 2015 12:52AM

Thanks for the idea of using the magnifying app for the iPhone. I just downloaded it and have used it a couple times already.

Date: February 12, 2015 04:44PM

Thanks again guys for your suggestions and posted links.

This thread has been a big help for me.

-chad

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster