I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rod fell out of the dryer last night..
Posted by: Joe Willsen (---.isp.broadviewnet.net)
Date: February 04, 2015 09:28AM

The butt of a stand up tuna rod I am building fell out of the dryer chuck last night. I had it taped up too. The finish on one guide wrap got messed up when the rod shifted and the finish came in contact with the rollers on the rod support stand. The finish was still tacky this morning and it was the first coat. What would you guys suggest?

Thanks,
Joe

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rod fell out of the dryer last night..
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 04, 2015 09:40AM

Finish usually sets up not tacky in about 6 - 7 hours Are you mixing correctly
IF it is not bad you may be able to sand When Dry and cover with another coat

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 04, 2015 10:29AM

If the finish on that guide is not too far out of whack, I would allow it to set for another day, then shave off any obvious imperfections and recoat. It will be easier to shave if the finish has just a little "body" to it.

Date: February 04, 2015 10:58AM

Thanks Guys.....It had set for just about 7 hrs before this happened....I had left some left over material in the dish which just felt a tiny bit tacky this morning...took my fingerprint when I touched it .I am pretty comfortable that I mixed it ok.

The affected area needs to come off....it completely obscures a gold trim band on a black rod....only the trim band was messed up though.

I was looking for advice on how/when to do it and I think Tom answered that for me.

I also learned to put tape on the aluminum gimbal before putting it in the chuck to give the jaws something to bite into!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/04/2015 11:00AM by Joe Willsen.

Posted by: Bill Falconer (207.203.39.---)
Date: February 04, 2015 11:34AM

We've all been there...makes you sick when it happens. But it is recoverable.

In terms of prevention, you are on the right track. A couple of layers of masking tape with the last layer reversed (so it is sticky side out) works well. A rubber band wrapped several times around the gimbal will also help give the chuck something to grab.

Often when I have had this problem, I had a leveling / alingment problem as well. Not to state the obvious but make sure the rod is level and that the butt and all suppors are aligned straight as well. In my experience any kind of misalignment - or warp in a not-straight blank - helps the blank 'walk' out of the chuck. And for whatever reason, it often happens more than once with the same blank. SO BE EXTRA CAREFUL NEXT TIME WITH THE SAME ROD.

As bad as the finish looks now, it can be cut as Tom suggests or sanded as Bill suggests. You need to use your judgement on what will remove the right amount of finish without damaging the thread underneath. You can also scuff the affected area with ScotchBrite to remove minor imperfections. It will look really rough and opaque when you are done but will magically look clear - and all sanding and cut marks will disappear - when you add another coat over the top. Just make sure you blow or brush away all sanding residue and take care not to contaminate the area before you put on the next coat.

There was a really good article on this in RodMaker in a past issue focused on repairing non-level finish on a butt wrap. Can't remember the volume and issue numbers but maybe someone can bail me out. I hope this helps...good luck!

Date: February 04, 2015 11:43AM

You guys are awesome. I learn something every time I log on .

Posted by: Garry Thornton (---.natsow.res.rr.com)
Date: February 04, 2015 12:35PM

There are lugs on the tops of the jaws of my dryer chuck and a lock-nut on the back.
After I tighten the lock-nut behind the chuck, I wrap a rubber band from one lug, around the rod handle and back..
I used to use three rubber bands, but find one is actually good enough to keep the handle, or blank, from creeping out of the jaws.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 04, 2015 01:02PM

I have been using this chuck for years - [www.rodbuilding.org] never had a rod fall out two bands for light rods and four for heavy stuff Just check the bands for cuts or rips

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Steve Hartzell (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: February 04, 2015 02:44PM

Bill,

I've never seen a chuck like that, where did it come from?

Steve Hartzell
Lake Conroe - Willis, Texas

Date: February 04, 2015 03:08PM

Garry Thornton Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> There are lugs on the tops of the jaws of my dryer
> chuck and a lock-nut on the back.
> After I tighten the lock-nut behind the chuck, I
> wrap a rubber band from one lug, around the rod
> handle and back..
> I used to use three rubber bands, but find one is
> actually good enough to keep the handle, or blank,
> from creeping out of the jaws.

Gary.....I tightened the lock nut...then with the dryer motor running I apply masking tape to the rod...get a full wrap....run it up over the jaws....full wrap....then back down onto the rod. It wasn't enough this time as this is a heavy rod. I will know better next time though.

Posted by: John Cates (---.sub-70-195-205.myvzw.com)
Date: February 04, 2015 03:24PM

Gentlemen

This is the kind of thing that never happens with our proven and easy to use Flex Coat Self Adjusting Chucks. Now available in two sizes 5/16" and 13/16", custom sizes available upon request. Works so well others have copied it, but not duplicated. So easy to use, no locking screws and rubber bands, just push the rod in and walk away.

Check out our video at the link below:

[www.flexcoat.com]

Flex Coat Company
Professional Rod Building Supplies
www.flexcoat.com

Posted by: Ken Finch (---.)
Date: February 04, 2015 03:31PM

Neat chuck. Would love to handle one at the Expo later this month.

Posted by: Steve Hartzell (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: February 04, 2015 04:04PM

John,

I have 2 of your chucks and use them for both dying and hand wrapping. But because it is a slip chuck I find it doesn't work very well if I'm power wrapping. i liked the one in Bill's photo because it looks like it would keep the blank from walking when the lathe is turning at faster speeds.

Steve Hartzell
Lake Conroe - Willis, Texas

Posted by: John Cates (---.sub-70-195-205.myvzw.com)
Date: February 04, 2015 04:20PM

Steve

I believe you are referring to our Slip Clutch which is not intended for use with anything but finishing. It wouldn't make sense to put this on a power wrapping motor because it is a slip clutch and there would be no tension on your thread.

The Self Adjusting Chuck is used on power wrappers as well as finishing and curing motors.

We use this on both our power wrapper models, DL713 and DL747, with great success. Our power wrapper with built in foot control ramps from slow RPM's to very fast and we have never had any problems with "walking" or anything.

Flex Coat Company
Professional Rod Building Supplies
www.flexcoat.com

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: February 04, 2015 07:29PM

Since the finish is messed up on a guide, the very best solution is to take off everything in the area, and retie and retrim and refinish.

I have never been a fan of trying to clean up a bunch of finish that has gotten messed up. It is very difficult to get a messed up finish perfect again without stripping and starting over for that guide.

The flex coat chucks are about as fool proof as a chuck can be. I have never heard of a rod coming out of a flex coat chuck during a dry cycle.

Good luck

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster