I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

micro wave guides
Posted by: Gerald (Jerry) Bouyear (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: January 14, 2015 11:42PM

Has anyone tried the micro wave spinning guides? what do you think of them?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: micro wave guides
Posted by: Garry Thornton (---.natsow.res.rr.com)
Date: January 15, 2015 12:00AM

I like them a lot.
Easy to use, one set-up suits all reel sizes.

Posted by: Roger Templon (---.atlanticbb.net)
Date: January 15, 2015 06:25AM

i'm with garry !

rog

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.mskg.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: January 15, 2015 07:16AM

I've tried them on a few rods - I'm not convinced they offer any significant performance advantages, but most builders do think they cast smoother and longer than other setups. Advantages= easy setup, and they are a good selling point for your rods,
Disadvantages= have to be purchased as a set giving no options for the running guides, pretty high so be sure they fit in your rod tubes (keep in mind that height is part of the advantage just like with Fuji K series, and they are not higher than K, I believe)

I think if there is an advantage it will be found most when you use mono and flouro above 8 # and the higher test braids. With light mono and braids below about 15, just about any guide setup will perform well. I built a rod for a friend who uses 10# mono and he is really impressed with its distance. I didn't cast it when it was finished.

Just try them for yourself. You may not be super impressed, but you won't be disappointed , either. Use the recommended setup for the first two guides.

Posted by: Capt. Craig Freeman (---.nianet.org)
Date: January 15, 2015 08:59AM

Definitely cast smoother! Using the recommended set up for the first two guides is imperative. AmTack has put a lot of time and effort into developing the system and it works well. The Microwaves also get a lot of looks which can lead to more business.

Posted by: Donald R Campbell (---.lsanca.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 15, 2015 10:43AM

Gerald,

I first saw the MicroWave guides at the Las Vegas ICAST show several years back when they first appeared, (this was before Doug Hannon had hooked up with ATC). The MicroWave guide system won "Best of Show" for guides. I checked them out at the show and thought to myself what a gimmick.

About a year or so later, after American Tackle had started marketing the guide sets, I decided to build myself a D/S rod and use the MicroWave guides. I wanted to use them for a while to see if they really improved the rod performance. I was amazed with my first cast. Quite simple to set up on a rod, cast further and much more smoothly. I love them on spinning rods. I have built 2 or 3 rods using the casting rod MicroWave guides for a client. He let me try the casting rod out to see what I thought. It was a little hard to tell if there was performance increase over micro guides, not having the identical rod set up with micro wave guides to compare.

I am currently building a 7' med/hvy spinning rod for a guy who fishes FLW and I couldn't talk him into using the microwave guides on it. I guess he just couldn't get "his head around them". Personally, I am sold on the microwave guides for spinning rods ever since I tried them out. Give them a try you will not be disappointed.

Don Campbell
don@sensorfishingrods.com

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/15/2015 10:47AM by Donald R Campbell.

Posted by: Don @ American Tackle (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: January 15, 2015 11:15AM

Thank you for the question Jerry. As you can see they are well loved and for a good reason....they work.

I will continue to let other builders jump in on the conversation with their unbiased opinions but I wanted to make a couple comments.

1. The reason they are sold in a complete set is because extensive testing was done and this set up outperforms all other combinations that were tested. When builders start mixing and matching other guides and different sizes the performance is inhibited. When the complete set is used and set up according to directions it will work as advertised.

2. The Microwave system works great with all line types but really shines when using braid, light or heavy.

3. No awards were won until AT began to work with Doug and perfect the design that he started. The system has now won 4 awards..... EFTTEX 2013 inovation of the year, ICAST 2013 best of show fishing accessory, China Fish 2014 best of show fishing accessory and was used on the ICAST 2014 best of show freshwater fishing rod.

No other rod component has ever won a single award. The Microwave system won 3 in row!

Award Winning Guides Make Award Winning Rods.

I urge you to give them a try.... you will love them.

800-516-1750 ext. 1207 / don@americantackle.us

Rod Building..... It's What We Do.

Posted by: P. Wayne Hart (---.cpe.citywest.ca)
Date: January 15, 2015 06:03PM

I've built a half dozen 9' to 11' salmon and steelhead rods with the microwave guides and have received rave reviews from all who have used them.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 15, 2015 06:22PM

Well if ya think about it They do make sense Spinning rods have Pig Tails that come off the reel and have to be controled They do this Now the casting is another story

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: David Parsons (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: January 15, 2015 08:44PM

My first time building was a casting rod. I let a lot of friends that are full time fishing captains try it they all took there first cast then turned to me with a big smile and said wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Frank McKinney (---.sub-70-196-1.myvzw.com)
Date: January 15, 2015 09:36PM

I have built more than 50 rods with the micro eyes system and everyone that has them using mono line love them and are well pleased on the distance they are getting with them. Did not see any advantage with braided line with them though.
I would recommend them they are a good product.

Posted by: Gerald (Jerry) Bouyear (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: January 15, 2015 10:53PM

Thanks for all great information I will defiantly tray a set my only reservation might be hard to sell some are not willing to change and think they look funny, sort of like trying to convince someone to try a Roberts wrap now I have even had customers request them. I think my plan will be to build one for myself and use it as a demo if it works as well as everyone says. Once again thanks to all who have responded.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.mskg.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: January 17, 2015 10:14AM

In my opinion, I would keep my expectations under control. I agree you cannot go wrong, but there are so many variables that it's hard to evaluate precisely. As I've said before, just about anything works well on braid below about 15.

I also believe that most builders underestimate the value of a proper setup on baitcasters. It just may be that because of the rotating spool and how easily it can overrun if the line gets slowed going through the guides, that the biggest advantage of Microwave may be on casting outfits. Relatively light braid can be a solution for just about any spinning configuration, but there is no magic like that with baitcasters. I have yet to try them on casting rigs, but plan to.

Hi to Don at American Tackle, hope all is going well!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster