I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rod Dryer questions
Posted by: Miles Miller (---.lightspeed.mssnks.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 11, 2015 05:27PM

Hey everyone! I have a few questions about drying a rod.

What is the process of drying by hand? I have seen it mentioned but haven't been able to see an example of the process.

Second, does anyone have ano old dryer they would like to sell? Mudhole has their CRB model for $40 but I'm hoping to get out cheaper than that.

Or if anyone knows where I can get one for less money that would be awesome.

Also, has anyone built with the Mudhole CRB IM6 blank? They run around $20 so I don't know if it's any good or not.

I built a few custom rods about 5 years ago and am wanting to get back into, so any input would be great. Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rod Dryer questions
Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 11, 2015 06:01PM

Drying by hand requires you to monitor the curing process. That means turning it by hand frequently at first until the epoxy starts thickening and then less frequently until it will no longer sag. Do not make the error of touching the wraps to determine the status of the epoxy cure, instead check the residual in the cup left over from doing the wraps. This will avoid fingerprints on the wraps.

Depending upon the epoxy used, this can be anywhere from and hour to as many as three.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 11, 2015 06:05PM

Miles,
It makes sense to go with a dryer similar to the Mud Hole model.

The work is done, the design works well and you won't have any issues.

Be safe

p.s.
You can go find a motor somewhere, and build up chucks and stands, but by the time you finish; you will likely have more money into it and certainly a bunch of time to make a reliable dryer.

Posted by: Garry Thornton (---.natsow.res.rr.com)
Date: January 11, 2015 07:05PM

The new Mud Hole winder and dryer are bargains.
They are both well thought out and inexpensive.
Plus, if you decide to leave the hobby again, no doubt you can sell them easily.

Posted by: Tom Wewerka (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 11, 2015 07:33PM

Miles

In the For Sale section I have posted two like new dryers in the price range you are lookinig for. Pics in the photo section.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Tom

Posted by: Jimmy Crain Jr (---.ph.ph.cox.net)
Date: January 11, 2015 11:47PM

$40 is pretty cheap. Only one I know of that is cheaper is on @#$%& and its $37 Shipping is something to look at also. I tend to not order from mudhole much because they kill me on shipping everytime.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 12, 2015 07:16AM

If you have a couple of guides, you can call Mudhole shipping and they will ship in an envelope to save you money. But for the typical larger package, their shipping charges are what it simply costs to ship anything these days.

Tough to ship much of anything anymore for less than $10. Cost of doing business.

Be safe

Posted by: Jared Taylor (---.cityofanderson.com)
Date: January 12, 2015 10:17AM

If you're trying to save a little cash, I have built a couple driers out of microwave turntable motors. Just screw it on to a wooden, homemade "V" stand. I work part time at a local recycling yard and people are always throwing old microwaves away. The spin rate on the ones I've found varies from 3-8 rpms. Or you could just order one of the motors from Mudhole and build your own. Word of warning, make sure the microwave motors are 120 volts...some have a step down and will burn up when you put an electrical cord on them and plug them in.

Date: January 12, 2015 11:11AM

Jimmie

Roger is spot on for Mudhole shipping. If you jsut buy a $8 reel seat the shipping will probably be more than the part. They offer several tiers of shipping costs depending on the amount of your order my order this week was FREE but you have to order over $400 to get that.

Take a fishing rod in a tube (that you had to buy) to Fed X and see what it cost you to send it. Easily over $25 in totlal cost. Bottom line, Mudhole is probably one of the most reasonable shippers to me from my experience. But for sure any of the sponsors will work with you.

Roger here is one for you on shipping! This summer I went to Florida so I decided to swing over to Ovieda and pick up a few things and say hi to the folks at Mudhole and Get Bit. I saved a few bucks on shipping. When I got home I checked my tolls and gas receipts and saw that it only cost me a bit over $400 to do that !!! Of course that wasn't why I went to Florida but made an impression on how much it cost to ship stuff.

Tom

Posted by: Ron Weber (---.ph.ph.cox.net)
Date: January 12, 2015 11:22AM

It likely is not going to get any better, especially since FedX and UPS just revaluated there shipping procedures and rates. An item that I sell previously cost me 4.67 on FedX ground, now just cost me 8.67 to ship. And that is with me shipping thru my normal job's rates and we have a excellent rate shipping since we are a worldwide company.

Ron Weber

Posted by: Roger Templon (---.atlanticbb.net)
Date: January 12, 2015 05:12PM

Miles

I nave built several rods on CRB blanks - IS601L, IS701L, IS701M, and I'm just getting started on a IS701H. These blanks seem to be a pretty good choice for a low bucks build. The finish is decent, and they seem to be somewhat "bullet proof". I do find that the action seems to be closer to "moderate" than the listed "fast".

Rog

Posted by: David Parsons (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: January 12, 2015 06:15PM

miles

I have built with those blanks and found no problems and they have held up to some pretty good size fish. the only thing was one of the pink color blank faded out on a freinds that I built it for her but she used it ever day during the summer and it took a lot of sun light.

Date: January 12, 2015 08:19PM

I think for me it has to do with thier in Florida and im all the way in Arizona. I do order from Mudhole but I tend to make sure its well worth it and pack everything in that I can until the shipping jumps up again. Best shipping charges hands down has to be Utmost enterprises so I order from them a lot.

Posted by: John E Powell (---.dynamic.wnyric.org)
Date: January 15, 2015 07:49AM

This thread is about drying motors not shipping costs.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 15, 2015 09:16AM

Miles

There are two dryers on the Buy Sell page Maybe later you can add to one and make a power wrapper or lath

Bill - willierods.com

Date: January 15, 2015 10:25AM

Thanks Bill

One is sold with one stand. I have one more and two stands left.

Tom

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 15, 2015 01:47PM

I am supprised you still have one at that price

Bill - willierods.com

Date: January 18, 2015 10:08PM

John I would argue that since he isn't wanting to pay to much for a rod dryer that shipping cost plays into this a lot. I always look at shipping cost and taxes when I am making a purchase. I have even gone as far as asking on large purchases if the vendor would split the transaction cost of me running a credit card if I pay cash instead.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/18/2015 10:10PM by Jimmy Crain Jr.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster