I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

"Surf" Rod for Casting Lures
Posted by: Chris Zarza (---.sip.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: January 10, 2015 10:00PM

This is my first post and I'm looking for opinions on an idea for a rod.

I'm a beginner rod builder. I've done multiple repairs and built a few rods for myself and want to get a little more technical.

I fish mostly in South and Central Florida. Mostly Atlantic side.

This rod I want to use for the surf to cast lures. Doa, yozuri, bucktails, etc. (1/4-3/4 or so?) I'm pairing it with a Quantum Smoke 40 loaded with about 250 yards of 20# braid.

My idea is....
-9 foot graphite. More or less. Around $100 range
-single foot Fuji K series guides
-Fuji SK2 split reel seat if possible.
-EVA split grip

My approach is very minimalistic to keep weight down.

I'm mostly looking for a blank and suggestions/opinions on this build or if it's even a good idea.

Thanks in advance!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: "Surf" Rod for Casting Lures
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.war.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: January 10, 2015 10:19PM

Look at salmon/steelhead blanks like the MHX ST1084.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: January 11, 2015 11:02AM

I second Spencer's recommendation. I live seaside in central Florida. A 9' "steelhead blank" with a Stradic 4000 loaded with 20# works well for me in the situation you describe. Select your reel carefully, for many will rust out quickly in the salt. I junked a Quantum Cabo which froze up. I called to get advice/parts and was asked "You didn't use that in salt water, did you? They weren't made for salt water use." [!!!]

Posted by: Ellis Mendiola (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 11, 2015 11:23AM

Excellent advise from these two gentlemen. I have four 8 footer steelhead blank rods that I have made for throwing lures in the surf. Mine were made using GLoomis blanks from the 80's. Now yhou have some great choices in either MHX or Batson blanks.

Posted by: Chris Zarza (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: January 11, 2015 12:44PM

Thanks!

Phil Ewanicki Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I second Spencer's recommendation. I live seaside
> in central Florida. A 9' "steelhead blank" with a
> Stradic 4000 loaded with 20# works well for me in
> the situation you describe. Select your reel
> carefully, for many will rust out quickly in the
> salt. I junked a Quantum Cabo which froze up. I
> called to get advice/parts and was asked "You
> didn't use that in salt water, did you? They
> weren't made for salt water use." [!!!]

Are you talking about the old Cabo? Because I use a Cabo for jigging and I'm fairly certain it's for saltwater use?
The Smoke I have is for saltwater. Though they have a freshwater Smoke as well.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: January 11, 2015 07:56PM

Chris: The Cabo was my shark reel. It was about 8 years old. It replaced my Mitchell 302 which I put back into service when the Cabo failed.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster