I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Catching up with guide prep and the 'wheel'..
Posted by: Buddy (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 08, 2001 12:34AM

Guys,

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I just started my subscription and haven't seen the issue that has started all the talk about the 'unified wheel'.

What, exactly, is it used for? Are you polishing the guides 'foot' that will be covered with the thread? Or, are you actually polishing the guide itself to increase line flow?

I've been 'tapering' the feet of my guides with a dremel and adjusting them so they make a 'seemless' transition from the blank, but have not bothered to do anything else to the area that will be under the wrap. Should I be? If so, why?

Also, if you are using comercially made double foot 'snake' guides on a fly rod, does the 'line passage' portion of this type of guide require, or benefit from, any polishing or such?

I actually made a set of guides for one of my 'early effort' fly rods from stainless steel wire, and I polished the heck out of them, but I just assumed that since the comercially available ones were plated, that polishing might harm the finish (that rod is still in fine shape, but WAY TOO MUCH work considering the price of snake guides. I just wanted to build one where I 'made everything' except the blank).

Thanks for enlightening a beginner.

Options: ReplyQuote
The "Wheel"
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.tnt2.winston-salem.nc.da.uu.net)
Date: November 08, 2001 03:04PM

After you have sanded, filed or ground your guide feet to the proper taper, you need to polish them to remove any sharp edges or burrs. There are many ways to do this, but far and away the fastest is with the use of a Unified wheel. With it, you are looking at a job that takes maybe 3 or 4 seconds per guide. Perfect polish and smoothing but it does not remove material to any real extent.

By the way, I just received a sample of the wheel Bingham Enterprises is selling. It is almost identical to the original wheels I have here. Just a tad larger in diameter so it will last longer. It's a great tool and every rod builder should try one. Don't know where they found it, but it is almost exactly what I was talking about in the article.

Thanks Tom.
Posted by: Buddy (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 09, 2001 12:27AM

Tom,

Thanks. I've been doing this, but obviously this tool will do the job much faster than the polishing bit for my Dremel. It takes me several minutes to 'deburr' the foot after grinding.

Glad to know I wasn't leaving out an important step....

Thanks again,

Buddy

Re: Thanks Tom.
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialinx.net)
Date: November 09, 2001 08:45AM

By all means get this wheel. I used to polish mine with a Dremel tool, then tried hand polishing with crocus cloth. What a gigantic waste of time. The Unified wheel does the job on the entire foot in mere seconds, and does it well. You just press the bottom or top of the guide foot into the wheel for a second, then the edges for just a second and you're done. That's all there is to it.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster