I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

PREMADE CORK GRIPS
Posted by: John Lasky (---.nycap.rr.com)
Date: November 07, 2001 04:35PM

Whats everyones experience with premade grips. I know that good cork is getting scarce! What companies out there offer nice grips at reasonable $$.

Ive only purchased 3 grips so far, 2 for $28.00 each plus shipping from one company and one for $17.95plus shipping from another . Apples to apples the more expensive grips were not $10.00 (64% more expensive) nicer than the less pricey grips. The better grips had less fill but the holes were much larger than the thin straight grooves on the $17.95 grip.

Short of hand selecting rings and turning ones own grips is it hit and miss with pre formed stuff ?, or are there mfgs that offer fairly consistant product quality for reasonable $$ Ive noticed most grips retail from $15.00-$20.00. $35.00 including shipping seems a bit much for what you get!

Just want to get a Grip on things ! Many Thanks "John"

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: PREMADE CORK GRIPS
Posted by: matt (---.cbtri.com)
Date: November 07, 2001 04:38PM

i use premade tn handle spinning grips from janns. they are exactly the same as the tn handles loomis used to use. they cost $8.50 each, and are great quality (in my opinion)

Posted by: Bob Batson (---.olypen.com)
Date: November 07, 2001 05:29PM

I have been using the same vendor in Portugal for the past ten years. The reason being is his consistency from shipment to shipment, delivery schedules, and the competitive pricing. We supply many of the sponsors of this board with their pre-shaped cork handles. Please feel free to conatct us, and we will forward a list of suppliers that we have experienced, that do offer consistency, as well as fair pricing.
Bob Batson
Rainshadow Rod Blanks
Forecast Rod Components

Posted by: Rich Garbowski (---.voyageur.ca)
Date: November 07, 2001 05:30PM

John,
We offer St. Croix handle kits with preformed cork grips with reel seat, arbors, winding checks included. These are good consistent quality. I find the fly cork is of better grade and priced accordingly. Since all is included in kit form they are convenient and work well for custom rod building.

As you mention the highest grades of cork are the most expensive.
Good A quality preformed cork we also get through Pac Bay and/or Batson (Forecast). It's very competetively priced and eliminates the hassles of the cork rings. It's really a preference of what you'll tolerate as a picky or not-so-picky rodbuilder. The highest grade rings and time in gluing and shaping may be the only way some will do it, but many custom rods are also built and look fine with preformed corks.
If price and time are a consideration, the preformed handles or kits are the best alternative. 'Get a grip'. I like that, John.

Rich
Richard's Rod & Reel.

Posted by: John Britt (---.tampabay.rr.com)
Date: November 07, 2001 05:35PM

Rich just started going over your new catalog, looks great and very competive pricing.

Posted by: William (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 07, 2001 06:36PM

Ditto on the St Croix grips and handle kits. Very good quality, plenty of sizes and shapes and not bad $$$.

Re: Thank you all
Posted by: John Lasky (---.nycap.rr.com)
Date: November 08, 2001 12:41PM

Thanks for the information everyone! I am only building rods for myself right now. I am learning through trial and error and on this forum what seems to work.

As for the grips cost is not a real concern just that the,quote "premium select" cork was not that much nicer than the struble standard grips.

I guess I was expecting , not perfect but cleaner than I received. I had to fill some deep holes in the $30.00 grips.

Im not opposed to turning my own grips its a time issue.

happy wrapping "John"

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster