I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pearlabel system
Posted by: Mark Warnke (---.oakharbor-wifi-1171.amplex.net)
Date: October 26, 2014 10:58AM

I was wondering if anybody out there has bought the pearlabel 270 system?
I have talked to the company and he says he has sold many units to rod builders lately.
I am considering buying a unit and would appreciate some feedback.
Thanks

Mark Warnke

Black Swamp Custom Rods

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Pearlabel system
Posted by: Donald R Campbell (---.lsanca.fios.verizon.net)
Date: October 26, 2014 12:01PM

Mark,

I have not bought one; but, I read a post last week, (as I recall), that said the tape for the machine is pretty thick and it is hard to eliminate the edge lines. Others than that I believe they work very well. I would like to have one myself!

Don Campbell
don@sensorfishingrods.com

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: October 26, 2014 12:27PM

Here have a read

[rodbuilding.org]

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Dave Gallenberger (---.npg.sta.suddenlink.net)
Date: October 26, 2014 12:32PM

I bought the 270 about 2 months ago, and I am very happy with it, the resolution is excellent. I have the silver on clear, and the gold on clear tape. Before I bought the printer, I was ordering up decals from a few different sources. I no longer have to wait for the decals to be made/shipped, and I can change stuff on the fly in case a customer changes his mind on what he wants on the rod (happened last week!). The printer has already paid for itself in the 2 months that I've had it!

All that being said, I do have one minor (almost unnoticeable) issue with the finished product. If you look very close, under sunlight, or a bright work light you can see the edges of the decal under the finish. I haven't had a single customer notice the edge, and it isn't a big deal at all. I started a thread on this issue about a week ago (http://rodbuilding.org/read.php?2,430374) and received some very good tips on eliminating the visible edge that I have yet to try.

On a side note, I only run Linux based operating systems (Arch) at home and I got the Pearlabel 270 printer and software working flawlessly in Virtualbox. I just thought I'd add that in case there are any Linux users out there on the fence about purchasing this printer because of operating system support.

Date: October 26, 2014 02:34PM

Thanks guys for the responses! just what I was looking for. sorry I didn't use the search tool first.
I think I am gonna get the 270.

Posted by: Pat Barnard (---.kw.tx.cebridge.net)
Date: October 26, 2014 09:21PM

Agree with Dave. I have the 270 I purchased at the show, this printer can do everything. Not just labels for rods but other items as well. You can definitely see the edges. If you can get a picture of a logo, you can make a decal on the spot, I have made several rods with logos and this maker worked great. I guess I will just live with the edges. Still experimenting....if and when I eliminate the edges I will post.

Pat

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: October 27, 2014 03:05PM

This is just a thought but What about taking a smooth streight edge and put it on each edge from the outside With say a razor blade with the point facing outward and trim the edges This I would think cause the edge to have a taper and maybe will disapear ???

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Larry Tobin (73.46.187.---)
Date: November 10, 2014 11:38PM

To all the Rod Builders who have any concerns about how thick the tapes are. Just send me you address and I will be happy to make you samples. Send me your name and address and I will send you what ever you want to see. Text, Text with Graphics, you name it. This way you can test it yourself.

Larry Tobin
LRT Group, Inc.
www.lrtgroup.com
larry@lrtgroup.com
954-257-6224

Date: November 12, 2014 05:51PM

Just got my 270 system today! Can't wait to try it out!

Posted by: Dave Gallenberger (---.npg.sta.suddenlink.net)
Date: November 20, 2014 10:18AM

I've eliminated the edges thanks to Jerry's suggestion in a previous post.

I put a layer of transfer tape over the decal, applied heat to the edge, and then used a lot of pressure with the brayer to squeeze out any adhesive. Apply heat and repeat as needed. When you peel the transfer tape off, most of the adhesive that squeezed out will come off with it. Any left over adhesive can be blotted off with the peeled off tape. The adhesive is definitely what reflects light and makes the edge visible. If you can get rid of the adhesive, your edge will be invisible.

I am very happy with the results. Thanks again Jerry for the suggestion.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster