I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Inkjet decals comment/caution
Posted by: Michael Danek (---.adr02.mskg.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: October 26, 2014 09:17AM

I have been making decals using my canon inkjet printers for many years and have had no problems with fading or color change. . . until this year. Two recent builds have shown severe color changes of the decals in only one season. I attribute the problem to using aftermarket inkjet cartridges (old frugal me) and sugget to others doing decals on their inkjets to use original equipment cartridges, both for color and black. I've checked many of my older builds and have found no problems.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Inkjet decals comment/caution
Posted by: Chad Huderle (67.50.131.---)
Date: October 26, 2014 12:55PM

Good advice Michael,

I've used an Epson Artisan 710 for a number of years now using only factory ink packs from Epson. I don't leave my gear in direct sunlight but I haven't noticed any fading either and no negative reports from my customers. Even rods I built seven years ago, when I first started building, are looking good. Some of those were on an older HP printer using only factory ink.

Thanks,
Chad Huderle

Huderle Custom Rods
Prior Lake, MN

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: October 26, 2014 01:41PM

Any trouble with edges of the paper you guys are using with the edges comming up
Thanks
This is good to know

Bill - willierods.com

Date: October 26, 2014 02:37PM

I use the white vinyl media mostly, and yes, if I don't put a little cp along the edges, they may come up. It is important also to really put the pressure onto the decal with a plastic burnisher (using the decal backing as a pad between the burnisher and the decal to prevent damage by the burnishing operation. With stiffer media, like the holographic stuff, it is necessary to either do a wrap over the top of the decal and leave it overnight, or put the backing on top of the decal and tightly wrap with electrical tape and leave overnight. The smaller the diameter you're putting the decals onto, the more important it is to do these extra operations before applying epoxy.

Date: October 27, 2014 03:11PM

I never took a liking to vinyl, just me I guess. I've always used clear-back waterslides. The paper I use is very thin so edges are no concern. I'm REALLY picky about edges showing so these water slides are my go-to for most builds.

I do have another process I use when applicable but it's more of a heat transfer process and no paper is invloved at all.

Thanks,
Chad Huderle

Huderle Custom Rods
Prior Lake, MN

Date: October 27, 2014 03:40PM

I've always had trouble with water slides. Even as a kid making model airplanes I had trouble with waterslides. But even beyond that I can do some pretty vibrant printing on white vinyl that just doesn't have the punch on clear decals. And with clear, the background color is limited to the blank, or a painted section of a blank. With an inkjet I cannot do white on any media, but with vinyl, with the right design , the white background is the white when I want it. I'm sure you get better edges, but you can get some pretty darned good edges with sticky back. I almost always wrap over the ends and the other seam is under the rod as it is held in fishing position. You won't feel them, and done right, they really are hard to find.

All media has its strengths and weaknesses-it's all what is most important to you and your customers.

Date: October 27, 2014 05:31PM

Good points Michael. You're right on target concerning the background showing through with clear-backs. I solved that by underwrapping with white nylon thread. I've come to like the way the light glistens off the thread even with a decal over it. Other colors can be used depending on what's such as metallics. The pearl thread that reflects the hints of blue/green/pick can make a great underwrap for a bass or walleye decal.

But you hit the bottom line on the nose, what are your strengths and what does your customer want.

Thanks,
Chad Huderle

Huderle Custom Rods
Prior Lake, MN

Date: October 27, 2014 07:59PM

Like your underwrap ideas, will work with clear media peel and stick, too. Although, I still have the edges to worry about. :-)

Date: October 28, 2014 04:05PM

Michael

Go back to the better ink You have said that untill you changed ink they all looked gread

Bill - willierods.com

Date: October 29, 2014 09:51AM

Bill, you didn't really think I was going to repeat the error did you? I may be crazy, but I'm not stupid. :-)

Date: October 29, 2014 04:21PM

I hope the heck not

Bill - willierods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster