I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

live bait rod 7-8' fresh water trout 2-4 lb. line
Posted by: Jesse Shipe (---.29.246.200.res-cmts.sha.ptd.net)
Date: October 16, 2014 07:32PM

Hello all,

I am looking to build a "sensitive" 7' to 8' spinning rod for trout fishing in Pennsylvania. I want to use 2-4# line, live minnows and small spinners. I often cast underhand to get under tree cover, etc.

I want to do a budget build, keep the cost under $75.00. I want to feel the minnow and split shot bouncing along. What blanks fit the bill? Also, what line guides would you recommend. I have a quality 2000 and 3000 sized reel available to me now.

Thanks

Jesse

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: live bait rod 7-8' fresh water trout 2-4 lb. line
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: October 16, 2014 07:43PM

This is certainly an interesting project. I'd try to stay with a fast action rod with a very light tip if possible.

Posted by: Jeremy Wagner (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: October 16, 2014 07:54PM

The MHX S841 might be a good choice for you. Set it up with Pac Bay minimas and EVA grips to meet your budget.

jeremy

Date: October 16, 2014 08:08PM

I will go over budget to get it right, I like cork grips, prefer a full length but would consider the "poodle tail" style if you guys think its better. I am looking to build a specific rod to meet my needs. I fish with a group of guys and it gets very competitive, I want an edge.

I have been using a cheap 6 1/2' rod, doing ok, but I am sure I am missing strikes because its too soft.

Jesse

Posted by: Nathan Elswick (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: October 16, 2014 09:18PM

You could try the Phenix Ultra Light FX761-2 or FX801-2 but they are way over your budget as they are 100 for the blank but they're very sensitive rods with a good fast action tip and almost exactly what you're looking for. Otherwise for within the budget I would do the S841-MHX or the S871-2MHX. To cut on overall weight stick with your split grip style but if you want maximum sensitivity you can use a reel seat that allows you to touch the blank. You might even look into using a fly rod blank as well.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/16/2014 09:18PM by Nathan Elswick.

Date: October 16, 2014 11:00PM

Do you think that an 8' fast action fly rod would be sensitive enough for what I am looking for? If so, what would you recommend?

Posted by: Nathan Elswick (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: October 16, 2014 11:31PM

I believe it would still yield enough sensitivity. For your price range I would do a Rainshadow F804-2 the price on the blank is 31 dollars. Its the closest thing I can find to what you're looking for. You could even try the Rainshadow IF793-4 however its 7 ft 9 in and is 4 pieces and price is 60.

Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: October 17, 2014 12:40AM

I am no expert but I think you are selling your self short with that buddget if you want to be better than your friends the buddget is light by about $50 I think

William Sidney
AK

Posted by: Michal Rozycki (193.201.167.---)
Date: October 17, 2014 02:08AM

Check out Getbitoutdoors. The have Batson RX8 7'6" 4wt blanks on sale. They could be just the thing for you

Posted by: Bill Falconer (207.203.39.---)
Date: October 17, 2014 09:50AM

I lived in Arkansas for the better part of a decade and spent a lot of time on the white and Norfork rivers doing exactly the kind of fishing you describe. All of the above are good recommendations, but the St. Croix 2S70MLF is purpose built for exactly what you are doing and it excels at that type of fishing. And the SCIII and SCIV versions are even better!

Not in your price range I realize, but that blank is the perfect combination of enough backbone and strength to manage bottom bouncing the necessary weight in high water/generation and the soft tip finesse you need to cast fish and not break them off on 2 lb. leader. It costs more than you want to spend, but you will never be sorry you went with that blank for any other reason.

If you need to spend less, the MHX S-841 and and S-842 are also very good.

If you want 8', I'd extend one of these 7' blanks as I have not found an 8' that does not get sort of noodly. Hope this helps.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: October 17, 2014 10:02AM

You also said you cast underhand cause of trees and cover
Will that 8' rod be more of a bother with trees around ???

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: October 17, 2014 10:48AM

There are a number of 7 foot ultra lights moderate action that will work just fine.
For trout, with their runs, I bit slower action rod works better than a faster action rod. Just make the overall action of the rod light enough and you will be good to go.

Any of the ultra light 7 foot rods on the market will work well for you. No need at all to be spending much more than $30 or $40 for the blank.

I think that the key is to purchase a blank marked S which is a marking for a general purpose spinning rod with a uniform taper from the tip to the butt.
Don't go with an SJ or spin and jig, because the butt section tends to bulk up too much for this type fishing.

Actually another rod that works well for this is a light action "popping" blank.

Good luck

Posted by: ricky espenschied (---.dhcp.missouri.edu)
Date: October 17, 2014 02:55PM

Agree with Roger a1power popping blank would work well for you.
Ricky

Posted by: Eugene Moore (---.dhcp.stls.mo.charter.com)
Date: October 17, 2014 05:24PM

Jesse,
My first choice would be a 7-1/2 foot 4 weight 2-piece fly rod blank.
The more you are willing to spend the better your hook set will be.
Keep the tip very light. Titanium frame guides and fly rod tip top Recoil.
If the guides wear replace as necessary. No ceramic inserts except stripper guide.
The guide train could be light wire titanium single foot fly guides.
Minimize the number of guides 8 max.
Your first priority will be keeping the rod as quick as possible. You've the rod length to sweep a lot of line, don't slow it down with a heavy guide train.

Gene

Posted by: Eugene Moore (---.dhcp.stls.mo.charter.com)
Date: October 17, 2014 05:30PM

Jesse,
My first choice would be a 7-1/2 foot 4 weight 2-piece fly rod blank.
The more you are willing to spend the better your hook set will be.
Keep the tip very light. Titanium frame guides and fly rod tip top Recoil.
If the guides wear replace as necessary. No ceramic inserts except stripper guide.
The guide train could be light wire titanium single foot fly guides.
Minimize the number of guides 8 max.
Your first priority will be keeping the rod as quick as possible. You've the rod length to sweep a lot of line, don't slow it down with a heavy guide train.

Gene

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: October 17, 2014 11:27PM

I agree with Eugene on the use of light components on this rod.
However, no need to go to the expense of titanium or recoil guides. Pac bay minima guides are very close to the same weight at a fraction of the cost of the other guides.

Be safe

Posted by: Jesse Shipe (---.cmts.brh.ptd.net)
Date: October 22, 2014 01:03PM

Well, Cabelas had a 7' graphite Eagle, feels great, looks fine, so it went home with me. I need the rod today. I am still going to build one during the winter for next year. Im thinking hi modulus, fast action 3 or 4 wt 7.5' 2 pc. rod.... thanks to all who gave me some info.

I will let you know if I like the Fenwick... it actually felt better in hand than did the St. Croix.

Jesse

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster