I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

seat arbors
Posted by: bobby martin (---.static.hvvc.us)
Date: September 15, 2014 02:51PM

does it really matter if you use a full length arbor under the reel seat vs two shorter ones> I am talking about a regular bass type fishing rod, not a heavy salt model. also the arbors I would use would be the yellow ones that flex coat sells. to much weight? not enough sensitivity? I think it would be easier to just use one instead of making two and trying to line them to install the reel seat.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: seat arbors
Posted by: Donald R Campbell (---.lsanca.fios.verizon.net)
Date: September 15, 2014 02:56PM

bobby,

Personal I would not be concerned with a little additional weight using a full length arbor. It is an area of the rod that is not going to affect the sensitivity or action of the rod.

Don Campbell
don@sensorfishingrods.com

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.lightspeed.miamfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 15, 2014 04:34PM

It is generally easier to ream two, or more, shorter arbors perfectly. Sometimes with a long one it doesn't quite match the taper of the blank. As far as weight....the arbor weighs so little, compared to the epoxy, I wouldn't be surprised if a long one saves weight!

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: September 15, 2014 04:38PM

What is the OD of the blank where the seat will sit -- After prep
What is the ID of the seat that you want to put in that spot ???

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 15, 2014 05:02PM

You wouldn't fill the void between arbors with epoxy - that would only add weight, not strength. So a full length arbor will weigh more but we're talking a miniscule amount. If there is an upside, it would be that you have more mating surfaces in contact and therefore a better bond, although shorter arbors aren't prone to loosening if they are adhered correctly.

Go whichever way you feel is going to be easiest for you.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: September 15, 2014 05:09PM

Tom is right
A full arbor would be lighter Less glue

Bill - willierods.com

Date: September 15, 2014 08:32PM

I didn't say it would lighter - not if you don't fill the void between the arbors with glue. But in that particular arbor material the difference in weight is not of any practical concern.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.102.204.190.res-cmts.t132.ptd.net)
Date: September 16, 2014 04:32PM

I have always felt that using 2 short arbors creates a resonant chamber similar to a folk guitar or violin body between the ends of the seat. This is where the the rod is held and can only serve to amplify signals from the line. Then again I could be wrong.

Date: September 16, 2014 05:30PM

With all due respect, that sounds good, but in in reality it doesn't work for what we're doing. The type vibrations we're looking for in a fishing rod travel more quickly through a solid object than air. So, no, those vibrations are not "amplified" to the fisherman's hand by any sort of resonant chamber effect. But you're not the first to consider this.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: September 16, 2014 06:28PM

In response to Boby's original post, I will often cut a foam arbors into several pieces. This is especially true if the blank has a significant taper in the area where the reel seat will be mounted.
It is much easier to simply ream or drill out the shorter arbor for a nice fit, compared to reaming out a very long arbor for a fast changing taper.

Then, Once you have your rear grip in place, it is a simple matter to glue up each of the arbors in place. Then, when dry, go ahead and glue the reeel seat onto the arbor which is already secure on the blank.

Be safe

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/16/2014 06:29PM by roger wilson.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster