I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Bit off Topic - Minimum cast weight with a casting reel
Posted by: Jason Groombridge (---.dyn.iinet.net.au)
Date: September 03, 2014 07:40AM

G'day Guys,

Whilst I own a couple of baitcasters, I've never really thought about or needed a setup that will cast really light weights. But I am thinking of setting one up with dropshotting in mind but I would also like to be able to cast a jighead if required. Assuming a good quality low profile baitcaster with a shallow spool and a a rod made to match, what do you reckon would be the lightest weight it would cast a reasonable distance? Would 1/4oz be too light or manageable?

Cheers

Jason

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Bit off Topic - Minimum cast weight with a casting reel
Posted by: Mihalyfalvi Gabriel (78.97.197.---)
Date: September 03, 2014 09:45AM

Even 1/16.

1/4 almost every low profile baitcaster can manage these days....not every for record breaking distances but for boat fishing situations is enough..at least in case of compact lures like jigheads or spinnerbaits..etc...

Posted by: Carlos Saravia (---.elon.edu)
Date: September 03, 2014 10:06AM

1/4th is cake with my Revos. 1/8th is doable. Anything below that for me, even on 10 pound test, is really pushing it. A lot of it also depends on the type of lure you are throwing. A lot of the new lures have casting BBs that shift backward and forward in conjunction with the cast. These help a lot. If you are casting balsa wood lures or big skirted lures, you might have to go up a little bit if the wind catches them, as they won't fly as far.

Posted by: Bert Nagy (---.dhcp.gsvl.ga.charter.com)
Date: September 03, 2014 10:54AM

I had the same question, as I like to throw small crankbaits and # 5 shad raps in the shallow water. I had to use a spinning reel to to throw them

I picked up a Curado 51 E and tried it. I am using a rod that I built on a Castaway 784 blank from Lance at Swampland. It does not work as well with a Curado 201E. I think the smaller reel will cast smaller weights better.

Bert Nagy

Posted by: Donald R Campbell (---.lsanca.fios.verizon.net)
Date: September 03, 2014 11:15AM

Jason,

I recently built myself a Rainshadow RX8 822.5 as a casting rod for drop-shotting. I have a Curado 200HG Reel with 6 lb Fluoro line on it. It casts great with 3/16 oz. weights. In the wind it gets a little tuff; so I switch to a 1/4 oz, (which what I normally use on it). I have put a 3/8 oz weight on it when it is real windy; but that is getting a little too heavy for drop-shotting; unless in real deep water. I love the casting rod for drop-shotting. You don't have to worry about those dan twists in the line like you do with a spinning rod. I throw small jerk baits with it and even fly line small plastic with it; but I have to be careful when fly lining with it. The 6 lb line is a real beast when you get a "professional over run" !

Don Campbell
don@sensorfishingrods.com

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: September 03, 2014 01:01PM

The inertia of a bait casting reel is at issue here, and it takes force to overcome inertia. Force is the product of mass X velocity. A casting rod is a type I lever. The longer the lever ahead of the fulcrum (casting hand) the more velocity (and) force can be imparted to a load at the end of the lever (rod). The length of the lever (rod) and the mass of the reel spool + line will determine how light a weight can be effectively cast with any particular reel - limited by the mass of the rod and the strength of the caster.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: September 03, 2014 01:47PM

It is many times less troubling to pitch light lures with a spinning rig.

No issues, and lots of distance as needed.

Again, use the right tool for the right job.

Be safe

Posted by: Mo Yang (---.dhcp.hspr.ca.charter.com)
Date: September 03, 2014 03:40PM

Also depends on your specific baitcaster. I think the Japanese Pressos were the first ones that some people used down to 1/16th with lighter line and still get some distance.

Posted by: Jason Groombridge (---.tas.adsl.internode.on.net)
Date: September 03, 2014 07:20PM

G'day Guys,

Thankyou all for your contributions. I reckon from your responses that I can do what I need. I currently use a spinning rod but sometimes just prefer the baitcaster. I will probably only use 6-8lb braid line and I'm thinking about 7' for the rod. I tend to use 3/8 a fair bit for dropshotting so that should be fine and if I can manage a reasonable distance with a 1/4oz jighead and a plastic I'll be happy.

I reckon this might be a good opportunity for me to build my first micro rod too!

Cheers

Jason

Posted by: Bill Falconer (---.dhcp.unas.al.charter.com)
Date: September 03, 2014 07:40PM

I used to spend a lot of time chasing breaking fish throwing topwaters on very deep, very clear impoundments (like Ouachita and Bull Shoals) in Arkansas. The fish were spooky, shad were only 1" long during the hottest Spring and early Summer action, and casting distance and accuracy were at a premium. While I would not use a casting rod to throw a grub on a 1/16 oz jighead - I agree with Roger that a spinning rod can do that - you might be shocked how far you can throw a Lucky Craft Sammy 65 on a casting rod if you set it up right. But you have to think of the whole set up as a system...it is not just a matter of rod blank selection.

To me, setting it up right means micro guides, the right blank, light line, and the right reel with upgraded and properly lubricated bearings. Your mileage may vary, but I had very good and very consistent success with an MHX CB841 blank (often trimmed to 6'6" from the butt) or a St. Croix 3C66MM. I'd spiral wrap it with Fuji guides from CLAG 10s down to 4.5 runners and a 4.5 tip. I would use fresh Berkley Big Game 8 lb. and the best reels I found were Shimano Scorpion Mg 1000s. This is a JDM reel but you can find some places here that import them. They are worth it and there is no US equivalent in my experience. Just don't try them in Saltwater. The only lubrication you need is Rocket Fuel Yellow Label on ABEC7 or Hybrid Ceramic ABEC5 Boca Bearings. That set up will throw a 5.8 gram bait 40 yards in calm conditions.

Bear in mind I've been out of that game for 5 or 6 years now and other products may have emerged. But I can guarantee you results with that set up...as long as you are catching fish over a hump that comes up to 45 feet with no cover. It is not something you are going to manhandle fish out of brush with but that is not the point. I realize this may all seem a little excessive, but this kind of extreme application is where custom rods shine and custom rod builders can earn their keep. Go for it and let us know what you come up with.

Posted by: Carlos Saravia (---.clt.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: September 04, 2014 07:26AM

One thing to REALLY consider too is the size of the line you are using. In my experience, bait casters work much better with thicker gague lines. Anything too small causes the line to dig on itself, which also happens a little on spinning reels but is not as much of an issue because the spool itself isn't spinning. On bait casters, however, the spool will keep spinning even if the front end of the line has dug in on itself and either fully stopped or significantly slowed down. The result of course is a nasty, knotty bird's nest.

Anything below 20lb braid in my experience is really starting to push it. You can overcome the problem by substantially loosening your drag but then again, that winch like drag and power is one of the reasons we often choose a baitcaster over a spinning rod. If you simply prefer a baitcaster because of ergonomics as I do, you might give it a try and consider all the posts above. It sounds like a spinning reel might suit you better, however.

In the end, just remember the basic, general rule: the more fish you can put the lure in front of, the more fish you will hook into and subsequently land. If you spend the entire day picking out line or worse, birds' nests, you likely won't put the lure in front of as many fish as you would with a spinning rod...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/04/2014 07:31AM by Carlos Saravia.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.mskg.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: September 04, 2014 09:05AM

Agree with Roger. No hassle, no backlashes, no stress, more time fishing.

Posted by: Donald R Campbell (---.lsanca.fios.verizon.net)
Date: September 04, 2014 10:40AM

I too agree with Roger when it comes to throwing small jerkbaits, cranks or fly-lining small plastics...the spinning rod is the way to go. But, when it comes to drop-shotting, I was just burned out dealing with the line twists caused by cranking the bait back up. I 've tried braided line with a small SPRO swivel and 4-6 lb fluoro top shot ; but 'was concerned with the fish seeing the braided line in gin clear water. The bites ratio seemed to go down with the braid; so I built the casting rod for drop-shoting. I have buddies who swear by the braided line. Maybe it's just me!

Don Campbell
don@sensorfishingrods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/04/2014 10:42AM by Donald R Campbell.

Posted by: Jason Groombridge (---.tas.adsl.internode.on.net)
Date: September 05, 2014 12:59AM

G'day Guys,

Thanks for the further comments. I will take them on board.

Bill, I will be in saltwater so any of the Mg framed reels are out I'm afraid.

Carlos, thanks for the heads up on line diameter. I will keep that in mind when sorting out my rig.

Cheers

Jason

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.war.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: September 05, 2014 09:40AM

Some longtime friends made some nice casting rods from 2 power (6 to 12 lb.) spin jig blanks for fishing smaller versions of standard bass fare and dropshotting, they max out at 3/8 oz.

Posted by: Josh Schleusener (---.lnse2.cha.bigpond.net.au)
Date: September 06, 2014 04:59AM

Hi guys, in Australia our bass are typically a bit smaller than the US, generally 12-15in average and 2-3lbs, a 7lbs fish being prize on par with your double digit largemouth, i'v built good spinnerbait rods on 6-10lb sj blanks, this rod throws 1/4- 1/2oz spinnerbaits with 10lb braid as far as you will ever have to. I recently built a 6'6 phenix elixir 1-6lb trout blank as a baitcast rod for a customer who was going to use a JDM Diawa Alphas reel on it, in testing i was hitting a target succesfully at 50ft with a 1/8oz and 1/12oz jighead and 2in curl tail grub, test was on 10lb powerpro braid and Quantum smoke b/c reel. There is some very high quality braided lines which are super thin for there breaking strain and baitcast reels can and do easily handle 8-10lb braid in tournament bass situations here in Australia, braid is used nearly exclusively with a fluorocarbon leader of about 8ft for visibility and abrasive shock purpose.
As said some guys just rather a baitcast setup for the comfort in hand and with the technology in reels today, spin and baitcast are far closer in ease of use for light weights!

Josh
Weapons custom rods
Queensland,Australia

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.mskg.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: September 09, 2014 09:59PM

Testing on water? Braid in the back yard is not the same as braid on the water. And all braid is not the same. Referring to braid on baitcasters.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster