I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rear Grip/Butt last on Power Wrapper?
Posted by: Carlos Saravia (---.clt.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: August 17, 2014 08:07AM

When I was using my conventional wrapper, I always built my rods from butt to top because I didn't have to stick them in a chuck. Now that I have a power wrapper, I have noticed that the tightness in grip required by the chuck in order to wrap causes indentations on EVA that become permanent, even after squeezing and working the EVA to try to get it to pop back up.

I have an American Tackle Power Wrapper with the upgraded Pac Bay metal chuck.

My question is this: What do you guys do in order to avoid these unsightly divots on your grip material? Do you save the butt section for last and stick the bare blank into the chuck? It seems this is the way to go but I just wanted to double check with the experts ;D

Thanks again guys,

---Carlos

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rear Grip/Butt last on Power Wrapper?
Posted by: Bill Falconer (---.dhcp.unas.al.charter.com)
Date: August 17, 2014 08:40AM

Hello Carlos -

What you describe is generally what I do - leave either some bare blank or the tenon turned on the butt grip for the butt cap / end cap exposed. Either of these can be chucked both in my power wrapper and in my drying motor chucks. If you get one that wants to slip out - usually a blank with a lot of taper at the butt - I wrap a layer of masking tape, then reverse the tape back on itself for a turn and a half. This gives you a sticky layer that holds onto your chuck jaws well.

You could also try this reversed masking tape trick and see if it works on your EVA. Sounds like you are having to crank the chuck down pretty hard...this mght help. You don't need wood lathe tightt...just tight enough to wrap.

You might also make double sure your blank is level and that your thread tension is appropriate. Also, you don't need to crank down your rolling supports any more than is necessary for stability. I power wrap on a Renzetti but I really don't have to chuck them that tight to get it to work. So maybe something with the set up might be a bit out of whack?

The other option that works great for me is to build everything up but leave off the butt cap / butt plug. I then take a section of scrap blank that matches the ID of the butt of the rod I am building and insert it into the blank. You may need to shim with a few layers of masking tape to get a good fit but once you have a tight (but not too tight!) press fit you can simply chuck the scrap blank (wrapped at the end with the reverse masking tape) into your wrapper. Works sort of like a mandrel inside your blank.

I hope this makes sense - sort of hard to describe. Good luck!

BIll

Posted by: Harry Kelly (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: August 17, 2014 08:59AM

I leave the butt cap to the end of the build so the jaws will clamp down on the blank.........

Posted by: Sandy Harris (---.ec.res.rr.com)
Date: August 17, 2014 09:18AM

I leave the butt cap off and have a series of wood dowels that I can fit into the blank. Like Bill, I might use a wrap of masking tape to insure a snug fit.

Posted by: Steve Hartzell (---.asbnva.dhcp.suddenlink.net)
Date: August 17, 2014 09:20AM

I also leave the butt cap til last and wrap a rubber band several times around the end of the blank. I find the rubber band lets the chuck jaws make a good grip on the blank without having to put a lot of force on it.

Steve Hartzell
Lake Conroe - Willis, Texas

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: August 17, 2014 01:31PM

Carlos,
Go ahead and finish your rod as usual. When it comes time to wrap the rod, just take a large sized rubber band #64 or so, and wrap it several times around the butt of the rod.

With the layer of rubber on the end of the butt, you can chuck your rod butt into the wrapper chuck and not have it very tight but it will still hold very well.

If I am wrapping a rod that does not have a butt cap on it, I simply insert a tapered solid blank into the end of the blank. Then, I remove the 3 inch chuck from my keyless chuck and insert the solid blank into the keyless chuck that is on my dryer power head.

The tapered piece of solid blank that fits several inches up the inside of the blank does an excellent job of holding the blank with no slipping.

Another thing to help with slipping issues is to put a few wraps of blue or low tack masking tape on the grip. This both protects the grip from marks as well as depressions.

But the rubber band is the easiest and best solution to the problem.

P. S.
I would never put a bare blank into the chuck of a wrapper. It is just too easy to overtighten the chuck and crack the blank.
If you do need to hold a bare blank - rather - use a tapered piece of solid material, like a dowel, solid rod blank, or solid fiberglass rod.
For this purpose, I will often use fiberglass driveway markers that are readily available at hardware stores for very little money. They are easy to taper with sand paper, when the piece of solid stock has been chucked into a drill.

Be safe

Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: August 17, 2014 01:56PM

I leave the butt cap off until the rest of the rod is complete, including finish. I use scrap blanks that fit the inside of the blank to be turned if my set of expanding mandrels are not fitting. You can wrap the end of the blank with a thick layer of masking tape and the metal jaws of the chuck will not harm the blank if the above does not work for you.

Posted by: Barry Thomas Sr (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: August 19, 2014 10:50AM

I use scrap blank sections and Tape to make Mandrels for the Blank and leave in till finish is done

Posted by: Barry Thomas Sr (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: August 19, 2014 10:51AM

Double post Sorry

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/19/2014 10:52AM by Barry Thomas Sr.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster