I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pac Bay Guides?
Posted by: Rob (---.bluestar.net)
Date: June 28, 2001 12:12PM

I was intrigued by the lower cost of Pac Bay's SIC guides. The TiGold and TiCH are good looking guides as well. How do these guides wear under tough conditions, particularly in saltwater? I'm looking for good guides with a titanium finish to build light salt spinning rods and saltwater fly rods, the latter comparable to Redington's Nano Titanium series. Fuji guides are so pricy--is there a less expensive alternative that is "worth its salt?"

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Pac Bay Guides?
Posted by: Jason Bennett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: June 28, 2001 05:19PM

I may not be correct, but I was told that the rings for Fuji and Pac Bay are made in the same factory and each company makes their own frames. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Jason

Posted by: Bob Batson (---.olypen.com)
Date: June 28, 2001 06:10PM

There are two vendors that supply SIC inserts to this industry, and they are both in Japan. Fuji uses one, PB and I the other.
The reason that we first started (1991) developing the TIN and TiCH processes for rod guides and tops, was because we were trying to come up with something that no one else in the rod component field was producing. At the same time, a process that would prove to be impervious to saltwater. We started with the TIN (gold), and then went to the TiCH (gunsmoke). When the gunsmoke TiCH was completed, I took it to Loomis. At that time Gary was the only person that was willing to take a risk, come out with something totally different, and market it along with his latest in technology. He used the TiCH, in guides, tops, and the single foot wire fly rod guide, on his GLX series. We gave him exclusive usage for two years. I believe that this was in the later part of 1994.
Now, many rod manufacturers and custom rod builders are using these items in their higher end product lines. Also available in these coatings are guides rings. The Tin and Tich process is applied over the zirconium ring, with the most durable and appealing of the inserts being fairly thin, with a nice radius.
There are some component factories out there that do not quite have the procedures of the process down yet, so beware. The guide frame should have a consistent light gunsmoke color, with depth and brilliance to it. Saltwater will not harm these guides and tops at all.
Bob Batson
Rainshadow Rod Blanks
Forecast Rod Components

Posted by: Rob Boughton (---.bluestar.net)
Date: June 28, 2001 06:46PM

Thank you Bob--very informative response. I can now place an order and rest easy. I assume PacBay's upper-end reel seats with the titanium components are trustworthy as well.

Do you then have your own brand of guides? I began using your blanks after our chat at the Conclave last year and couldn't be more pleased.

Posted by: Bob (---.olypen.com)
Date: June 28, 2001 11:43PM

I can't really confirm the quality of the Pacific Bay product line, as I have been away from that company for a year and a half. Almost all of their components come out of their Chinese owners new factory, in Mainland China. So their deal, is their deal.
When I left, and started Batson Enterprises, I went and sourced the people that had been making the products for me during the ten years that I was with PB, and it's previous owner. These folks already knew what items I needed, and how I wanted them made. So to answer your question, yes, I certainly am in the rod component business, as well as the made in USA Rainshadow product line. We have a seven thousand square foot building in Sequim, Washington. We keep complete inventory levels. Have nine employees that have worked with me for many years, and are experienced in every facet of rod manufacturing and supply. I have been in this business almost thirty years now, and have met some of the greatest folks walking on this planet, through this industry. Some are still with us, and some are not. It is my hobby and passion to serve the rod manufacturing industry. And of course, cast a line now and then to test all of this stuff.

Posted by: SteveE (202.123.139.---)
Date: June 29, 2001 04:18AM

Do you have a website? Where can we find out more about your rod component products?

---Steve

Fore Cast Components
Posted by: Bob McKamey (---.r8.tncphl.infoave.net)
Date: June 29, 2001 09:47AM

You can contact us. We have started carrying the Fore Cast Component procuct line. We already have some of the product here and will be stocking more and more in the near future. Bob Batson has gave you a good idea of what the product line consists of. There are Ti-N, which is a gold coating and Ti-Ch, which is a grey coating and both have the Ti-Ch coated frames. E-mail or call us and we'll gladly assist you.

customtackle@united.net

PH. 931-684-6164

Bob McKamey -- Custom Tackle Supply

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster