I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Color choices are easy
Posted by: Russell (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 06, 2001 07:36PM

I see a lot of posts where people want to know what colors look good on which blanks. If you do not have an eye for color, let the professional who do guide you. Learn to start noticing and writing down the color combinations on ads that catch your eye. Neck Ties, clothing, cars, etc. I play a lot of golf and any pro shop is loaded with the most striking golf bags you can imagine. Most are 3 color and look great. I get some of my best color ideas from the pro shop. Other people have already found what goes with what. Why not use their experience and effort?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Color choices are easy
Posted by: Billy 40 (---.dynamic.ziplink.net)
Date: November 06, 2001 08:58PM

I've said this before - check the colors of sports teams uniforms. Especially the new teams that are trying to draw fans. MY favorite is teh XFL Memphis Maniax - Teal and REd looks really sharp and contrasting - in my opinion.

Go to the bookstore and check out the Art section for some color books. Color Harmony is the name of a series of books that are all color plates for different moods. Happy = reds & yellows, angry black & red - all sorts of stuff like that.

Finally - buy all the colors of thread & metallix, and do sample wraps on a spare blnk or under the handle assembly. Then see what appeals to you. If you find yourself liking purple brown and light blue combos - go consult a professional - a woman. mother, wife girlfriend or co-worker. They have much better taste than us guys do. If it wasn;t for my guirl I would NEVER wrapped a rod with Holographic Pink underwraps & Purple Nylon over with no CP.

Billy

Posted by: Aaron (---.public.svc.webtv.net)
Date: November 07, 2001 12:00AM

I swear, I will never wrap a rod with pink thread...

Posted by: Billy 40 (---.colsonservices.com)
Date: November 07, 2001 10:03AM

Aaron - I said the same thing. I fish on a Party boat that takes 15-30 people per trip. I take about 5 rods, including the Purple & pink one. There are 2 that I KNOW look better than that one, but the one that gets the most recognition is the Pink and Purple one. I swear. Pink holographic thread underwrap(actually I used 0411NCP first), and purple nylon A with no CP - you will not be disappointed. Trust me.

Billy

Posted by: Aaron (---.public.svc.webtv.net)
Date: November 07, 2001 01:48PM

I may give it a go Billy. My girlfriend wants that color combination exactly. We'll see... :)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster