I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rainshadow live bait rods actions versus calstar grafighters
Posted by: wes morikawa (---.lsanca.fios.verizon.net)
Date: June 21, 2014 06:00PM

Does anyone have experience with70 xl l ml m Rainshadow Live Bait series and compare them to the 700xl l ml m Calstar Grafighters in terms of action power and castability when in use?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rainshadow live bait rods actions versus calstar grafighters
Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: June 21, 2014 09:57PM

I have held and flexed them side by side. They are rather close making the rainshadow a great deal.

I'd say the calstar was a little stronger in the butt , a little softer in the tip, and a bit faster (quicker lockup). It was a nicer blank but not that much better considering the price difference. I was comparing the 8 foot models. I went with the rainshadow as did a friend.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Date: June 22, 2014 01:07AM

What lb test line do you regularly use for the rod models you own?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/22/2014 08:53AM by wes morikawa.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: June 22, 2014 07:43PM

I use 8KG class line....17# actual breaking strength.....for the rclb80xl. Count on about a 5# increase for each increase in model strenght. I have a 70ml that I use as a genral purpose 30# class trolling rig (but you could fish 40 on it).

A lot depends on how you will use it. In my area, live bait means a decent sized bait and no weight. In your waters it could mean a smaller bait fished with lead attached.

The blank has a soft tip. Not well suited to bottom fishing IMHO. But it has surprising strength in the butt. I wouldn't feel undergunned against a 50 pound tuna or a 100 pound sailfish (talking xl model again).

What are you looking to do? I might be of more help if I knew the what, how, and where of the situation,

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Date: June 22, 2014 11:40PM

Thanks for the info

Posted by: Bill Falconer (207.203.39.---)
Date: June 24, 2014 04:36PM

Hello Wes -

I have used the RCLB70XL and RCLB70L extensively. I build them into kayak rods (both casting and spinning) for general purpose live bait and for throwing plugs / poppers. These blanks are light, strong, and have proven nearly indesttructable. While I originally started using them thinking I was going after Kings off the beach in the Gulf, I quickly found out that they were capable of handling just about anything you throw at them. I have caught sharks to 7' on the RCB70XL paired with a Garcia Revo Toro 61 spooled iwth 50# braid. This rig feels about like a flipping rod set up but will throw YoZuri Hydro Tigers or the big Sebile Magic Swimmers a long way with great results. Really fun to catch sharks on a popper out of the kayak...just not fun having to unhook them boatside to save your popper!

They are a fast action with a lock down point about 2/3 of the way up the blank. I would agree with Russell that they feel materially similar to a Grafighter with the exception that maybe the Grafiighters (which are great blanks) lock down a little higher up the blank and don't flex quite as far down under heavy load. The Graphiters are also a more level taper down around the seat grip area whereas the RCLBs have fairly aggressive taper for the entire length of the blank. That being said, you can still fit a size 20 palm support casting seat or size 20 NPS spinning seat right where it needs to be (in my opinion) on either the XL or L.

I have not had any Grafighters through the shop in a while mostly because of these blanks. They compare very favorably and are very high value (cheap in price) from sponsors at the left like Utmost. My only observation is that the transition from carbon to fiberlass is very visible in these blanks...almost like a color change. It doesn't bother me at all but just be aware. I'll post a few pics to show the rods in action and hopefully that will hellp. Good luck!

Bill

P.S. Pics posted - search Rainshadow Live Bait Blank or RCLB70L and you should find them.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/24/2014 04:45PM by Bill Falconer.

Date: June 26, 2014 08:40AM

Thanks a lot for the info

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster