I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Elrod Lock-for single foot guides
Posted by: Elrod (150.199.191.---)
Date: November 06, 2001 08:42AM

Was playing around last night with a way to lock the single foot guides to the blank with thread in order to prevent ever coming loose. I have never had this happen, but figured some reassurance is nice and what worse PR is there to have your new custom rod fail.
So, this is what I did not this rod. Now I haven't seen this written anywhere, so if it is already published or known, I certainly do not mean to infringe, but since I hadn't seen the technique displayed, I will claim it until otherwise notified. (I am making it sound like some brilliant technique, when it really isn't).
Wrap guide as usual from tip to base, wrap up the base til you come where the foot lifts off the blank far enough to fit a single thread under. (Make sense). Now as you continue a wrap, bring it UNDER the guide, STOP. Keeping tension on the thread, wrap it over the foot and back under again, you should be just where you stopped earlier, so make another rotation of the rod to bring the thread back to the base again. On larger guides I did this twice, on the smaller ones, I did it once. Now, make 3 more complete wraps under the base of the guide. Your done. Pack the threads up under the base and viola! You have the guide secured to the blank. One tip; This secures the guide where it is at, so before you wrap the thread around the guide, make sure the guide is very close to the final position as this does not allow alot of manipulation, once secured. You can still make MINOR adjustments, but that is it.
You can probably do this 3-4 times on very large guides.
It worked GREAT and should make the guide very secure. The finished wrap looks just like any other with 3-4 threads under the base. Everything packed together well, no gaps.
Again, if someone has already developed this, I take no credit, but it was on my own that I figured it out.
If you have any questions, feel free to email me.
Happy wrapping.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Elrod Lock-for single foot guides
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialinx.net)
Date: November 06, 2001 09:10AM

This has been done, and is being done, by many rod builders. Perhaps not enough however. There are many variations on "locking wraps" for single foot guides. In the next issue of RodMaker, we will feature the "Forhan locking wrap" which is another version of a wrap to keep those single foot guides in place. Rich has been using it for many years now and wanted to share it with others. Your own version is probably equally good and hopefully more rod builders will give it a try.

Single foot guides are much maligned, and usually do not deserve it. Little things like these "locking wraps" may help to dispel so many of the myths and misunderstandings of what for most purposes is really an excellent choice in guide styles.

Posted by: ellis mendiola (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 07, 2001 05:59PM

Elrod, I have been wrapping my single foot guides the way you describe on my fishing buddies' rods. I always thought it a waste of time but the inevitable happened last week. I had given one of my rods to my best fishing buddy and we were wade fishing for flounder. My friend hooked a large flounder and when he set the hook, one of the guides came loose. First time for me. From now on all one foot guides will be Elrod locked at my bench. Yours was a very informative article and if any young wrappers out there read it, they should follow your advice. Lock 'em in! Thanks, Ellis

Posted by: Tony Hill (---.ras11.vahen.tii-dial.net)
Date: November 14, 2001 03:41PM

I am the newest and most retarded of all rod-makers. I've had a couple of single foot guides pop out. Never from fishing, always from rough handling or getting the guides hung on something. I now "cheat" and lock them into place with a tiny drop of superglue.

After wrapping the guides and aligning them, put a tiny drop of superglue right where the foot comes off the blank. Tap the butt of the blank to make the glue go down around the foot under the wraps. Do not use enough to make the thread wet. Let it dry before applying color preserver and finishing as usual. Once finished, I have found no negatives after a month of constant use.

I also used superglue to re-attach the ones that popped out. Put a drop into the hole and then worked the guide foot back in. They haven't moved since.

Posted by: Tony Hill (---.ras11.vahen.tii-dial.net)
Date: November 14, 2001 07:15PM

"Sounds good. I would like to know longterm outcome though, as superglue is not very flexible and might crack and crumble under much flexing. Let me know."

It's been 5-6 months since I started using the superglue, and they are still holding well. At first I thought of it as only a temporary fix, but it seems to be lasting. I think the trick is to only use a tiny drop of glue. I dunno. All I know is that it's working well. But I'm going to use the Elrod Wrap from now on, too. :-)

TH

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster