I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Cord Grip and Turk's Head Question
Posted by: Bill Falconer (---.static.mntv.al.charter.com)
Date: May 13, 2014 08:32AM

Hello All -

Sorry for what is probably a basic question, but I can't seem to find a clear answer anywhere. My son and I are building a surf rod for an upcoming beach trip and he's decided he wants to do a cord grip with Turk's Head knots. I understand the cord wrapping / grafting / weaving part and I can make a Turk's Head knot.

My question is - do you form the Turk's Head with the same cord you wrap the grip with (i.e. one continuous warp thread)? Or do you wrap and secure the grip and apply the Turk's Head knots over the top of that separately for decorative purposes?

Or if you can do either, are their pros and cons? Thanks!

Bill

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Cord Grip and Turk's Head Question
Posted by: Chris Garrity (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: May 13, 2014 09:53AM

I've never done a Turk's Head, but I've done a million cord grips, and when I asked the cord sharpies this question a few years ago, they all said that they do the Turk's Head separately. Good luck.

Posted by: Barry Thomas Sr (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: May 13, 2014 12:25PM

Yup just glue it in position

Posted by: Barry Thomas Sr (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: May 13, 2014 12:25PM

Yup just glue it in position

Posted by: Bill Falconer (---.static.mntv.al.charter.com)
Date: May 13, 2014 12:28PM

Perfect - thanks very much. I'll let you know how I do...

Posted by: john timberlake (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: May 13, 2014 10:12PM

the turks head is done separately. It will lock down pretty good, though this step takes the most time. I get my turks heads tight and where i want them. I then coat them with permagloss or lumiseal. I have yet to have one move. It also protects the cord.

Mudhole sells a turks head jig designed by steven patterson. It works very well and you can tie turks head in short order with it.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: May 17, 2014 07:27AM

Chris,
You state, "I've done a million cord grips".

I was just wondering how old you are and how many grips did you wrap every day to now be able to say that you have wrapped a "million cord grips"?

I suppose that you must be wrapping several hundred grips a day to be able to make that statement?

Just curious.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster