I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Another question
Posted by: philip hardy (---.as13285.net)
Date: April 30, 2014 02:53PM

Here's another question I need help with guys,
Foolishly I've cut the power lead between the transformer and foot control I have and now need to fit a male and female 3 pin plug to regain power to it. Are there such things as replaceable male and female plugs I can buy as I can find nothing over here in the UK as it's all 240volt.
Many thanks,
Philip

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Another question
Posted by: Ron Bellaire (192.183.63.---)
Date: April 30, 2014 03:33PM

There are hundreds of options in the US. Clamshell, pin and sleeve, are just two. any good electrical supply or contractor should be able to point you in the right direction.

Date: April 30, 2014 03:44PM

Thanks Ron, unfortunately I live in the UK

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 30, 2014 03:47PM

Surely something suitable exists in the U.K. Have you tried contacting an electrical supply company there?

Date: April 30, 2014 03:55PM

Hi Tom, yes but as you know we are all 240v and although I can see a few 110v cables with a male and female plug at either end, I can't, (yet), find a male and female set to fit onto my wire.
Can you/someone send me alink to what I need?
Many thanks,
Philip

Date: April 30, 2014 04:26PM

Can you provide any information on your particular transformer and foot control unit?

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: April 30, 2014 04:30PM

Phillip,
Go to an auto parts store and pick up a three pin male and female connector that is used to connect trailers to autos.

Or you can go to a hardware store and pick up a wall plug style plug and socket, or buy a 3 conductor extension cord and cut it in two to make the male and female connection.

Or use any of the many other type of electrical connectors with at least 3 conductors found in the U K.

Just go a google search for hardware stores in your city or village and I expect that you find all of the connectors that you need.

Of course, if you aren't planning on unplugging and plugging it back in, you can just splice the three electrical wires that are in the cable.
Cut back the insulation and strip the insulation off of each wire. Splice one wire and wrap it with electrical tape. Splice a 2nd wire and wrap it with electrical tape.
Splice the 3rd wire and wrap it with electrical tape. Finally do an electrical tape over wrap of the splice plus an inch or so on each side of the splice.

Be safe

Date: April 30, 2014 04:30PM

You can do a search on the big ON line UK @#$%& site for a 3 pin socket and come up with something like this:

[]

Date: April 30, 2014 04:35PM

The transformer converts 240v to 110v.
From the label:
Primary 230
Secondary 120
KVA Continuous 25 va
Amps 0.2
HZ 50/60

The foot control is a Lucas Lowboy#9 foot control.
Label states 110 volts AC
6 amps

Posted by: John E Powell (168.169.226.---)
Date: May 01, 2014 07:55AM

Am I missing something here?

Wires don't care what voltage you put through it.

I think you are looking for something specific when all you need is one of the many general solutions already mentioned above.

Date: May 01, 2014 10:19AM

That's true - it's the amount of current drawn that dictates the size of the wire needed, not so much the voltage. Is there no way to simply solder the wires back together?

Posted by: Russell Brunt (165.214.11.---)
Date: May 01, 2014 10:38AM

Lucas control comes with a standard NEMA 5-15P plug....rated 15 amps 125 VAC.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Date: May 01, 2014 01:15PM

Phillip,
I wonder if you are just unsure of which wires to connect to which wires.

Correct me if I am wrong.

But I believe you have a setup similar to this one.

You first have a 240 to 110 volt transformer to step down the 240 UK voltage to the 110v style use voltage.

So, the two wires that are on the 240 side of the transformer go to the UK wall plug.

The two wires that come out of the othe side of the transformer go to the foot pedal and motor.

It appears that generally speaking the Lucas foot pedal normally comes with two cords. One cord goes to a 110v ac supply and the othe cord goes to the motor being driven.

If that is the case, the two wires coming from your step down transformer go to the plug side of the foot control

The motor goes to the socket side of the foot control.

If you have three wires going to your foot pedal, you need to do something slightly different.

With a 3 wire setup going to the pedal, two wires will go to the AC power and one of the ac wires will go to the motor and the remaining foot pedal wire will go to the motor as well. If that is the case, take a look at the wires you cut and follow the wire colors to correctly connect the necessary wires together.

If you have further questions, just drop me an e--mail.

Good luck
Roger

Date: May 01, 2014 01:17PM

These are illustrations of various pedals and motor controls that are commonly used to control ac universal motors as you have on your wrapper:

[www.google.com]

One of these, will be exactly what is needed in your particular case.

Be safe

Date: May 01, 2014 02:27PM

Hi Roger et al,
This is what I have finally manged to find at long last.
[]

[]

It is a male and female 110v self wire connector set that will sort my problems out at last, (I think).

Thanks for all your input and help, I really do appreciate them all.

Will let you know how it works out once the 2 parts arrive and I connect them up.

Regards,
Phil.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster