I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pacific Bay vs Lamiglass
Posted by: Peter Halecky (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 23, 2014 08:14AM

Does anyone have any experience with Pacific Bay x2gsu110h-2 11 foot 20-40lb 2-6oz tip 8 butt 0.76 wt 9.3. I am on the fence between that and the Lamiglass gsb1321m. The specs are very similar. 11 ft, 40lb, 4-12 lure wt ( though I've read it's really lighter than that), tip 11, butt 0.84, wt 9&1/8 oz. I am building an 11 ft striper surf rod and was looking to save a few bucks but don't want to sacrifice quality. I'd appreciate any help or any other suggestions.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Pacific Bay vs Lamiglass
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 23, 2014 11:28AM

What lour oz weight are you going to use One blank is twice the lure weight

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: James Whelan (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 23, 2014 12:07PM

Here on Long Island the GSB1321M has often been the first blank recommended to anyone who wants to plug fish the South shore ocean rocks and jetties. For a long time Lamiglas has been one of the few co’s that made one piece blanks in 11’ or greater. The GSB line has earned a reputation for enduring the high sticking and rock banking that is inevitable in places like Montauk. It can throw a wide range of lures and jigs from 1 - 4oz. It can throw more than 4 oz. but not any further. The one piece is preferred since the rods are used as a walking stick while wading to a rock to stand on. Also, many a heart has been broken when the tip of a two piece is lost in the surf. The two piece version of this blank has not been popular for the above reasons, as well as, because it long ago earned a bad reputation for having a flat spot at the ferule and having a different feel than the one piece. This blank has been around for over twenty years, so, maybe it does not deserve this reputation today.

If a two piece is acceptable to you then a lot of other options open up to you. The popular alternatives to the medium 11’ one piece GSB here come fro co’s, such as, CTS, Century and Fiberstar Composites. They mostly have two piece blanks, but their modern ferules are gaining acceptance. The first time I heard of a comparable blank from Pac Bay is your post. Of course, my ignorance on this does not prove anything, however, it has not been vetted in this neck of the woods as have the above mentioned co’s blanks.

Posted by: Peter Halecky (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 23, 2014 12:44PM

Probably 2 to 4 ounces. Even though the Lamiglass is rated higher most people that fish with them say it is best 1 or 2 to 5 ounces. I'm hoping someone has used one of these Pac Bays. I'm interested to know if it can compare to the Lamiglass or if it is too light (for lack of a better word) to launch a plug out past the bar in tough conditions.

Posted by: David Miller (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: March 24, 2014 09:50AM

Before I bought the St Croix Avid 11' blank at the ICRB I was looking to buy a MHX Euro Catfish blank with the same length and lure range but Mudhole only brought the 10' version but I took a long look at those because for the money they are very nice blanks. The slate grey finish is great and I was told that is less prone to showing scratches vs gloss finish. The Euro Cat also has tight fitting spigot ferrules that should have little if any flat spot in the action. What pushed me into buying the St Croix avid was not having to pay for shipping, made in the USA and I am a sucker for the metallic red color.

I am also building an American Tackle ATX surf 11' for my father in law and for the money it is very high quality with a nice gloss finish over natural carbon. It is probably similar in performance as the Pac Bay. Hopefully someone that has used the Pac Bay will chime in.

But when it comes down to it I would get the blank that you really want or would work best for your fishing situation. I would rather save money with the guide selection vs the blank if it came down to it to keep the total price in budget.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster