I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Domestic Freshwater Blank Manufacturers
Posted by: Marc Morrone (---.dsl.airstreamcomm.net)
Date: March 14, 2014 12:36PM

I know Lamiglas, St. Croix, and North Fork. Are there any other domestic blank companies that make freshwater blanks?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Domestic Freshwater Blank Manufacturers
Posted by: Rolly Beenen (---.ontariopowergeneration.com)
Date: March 14, 2014 01:08PM

some st croix in Mexico

Rolly Beenen
Rovic Custom Rods

Posted by: John E Powell (168.169.226.---)
Date: March 14, 2014 01:10PM

I have some Lamiglas in my inventory that are imported and not US made.

Date: March 14, 2014 01:30PM

Just wondering why a domestic blank? I think that Hydra blanks are us made.
You are going to buy a domestic blank to put chinese guides and portugese cork and japenesse thread with off shore epoxies on it? Just does not make sense to me.

Rolly Beenen
Rovic Custom Rods

Posted by: Marc Morrone (---.dsl.airstreamcomm.net)
Date: March 14, 2014 01:50PM

It's still nice to support US industry and jobs where one can. It's where we live and make our living.

There are some really nice import blanks available today. But often the price of those blanks is closing in on US made prices too. If it's a few bucks I'd rather go US made if I can. But yes there are some really nice import blanks as well.

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: March 14, 2014 02:45PM

Spinning/casting, fly or both?

Posted by: Todd R. Vivian (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: March 14, 2014 03:19PM

Marc,
there are some seeker models also.
[www.mudhole.com]

regards,

Todd

Regards,
Todd Vivian
Mud Hole Custom Tackle

todd@mudhole.com

Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (---.aik.sc.atlanticbb.net)
Date: March 14, 2014 09:36PM

All have at least some models made in US:
Hydra (NG Series only)
Rogue
Talon
Lamiglas
St Croix
North Fork
Seeker
Cousins
Sage

-----------------
AD

Posted by: David Miller (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: March 15, 2014 10:50AM

Hey Marc,

I like to support USA jobs and keep more of our $ here just like you whenever possible. For me buying a blank for a personal build it is worth paying extra to get a quality USA product that will hopefully be used for a long time.

I would certainly check out the Hydra NG, St Croix SCIII Avid and Anglers Workshop which I believe to made by Talon. These are very nice USA blanks at reasonable prices.

Not knocking import blanks the MHX and the Rod Geeks are right up there with fit and finish to these that I listed.

Instead of cork you can make or buy carbon fiber handles made in the USA by Riley Rods. Also can still find Gudebrod thread made in the USA for sale.

GM and Ford vehicles have many parts made in Mexico and elsewhere but are still considered to be an American made product so putting guides that could be made in Japan, China or Korea depending on brand on a blank made in the USA is no different.

Posted by: James Francis (---.wmisdsl.com)
Date: March 15, 2014 01:10PM

It wasn't that long ago that it was easy to build a rod of 100% USA-made components. Is it still possible today, or are there some components that aren't available from a domestic manufacturer? Excluding NOS stashes.

Date: March 16, 2014 06:56AM

Marc ,David
The US is not where I make my living but the people at Mudhole, Batson, pacific bay and others do make their living there. So their income and the people that recieve the shipments from overseas, transport it, stock it and distribute it dosen't matter according to you. As I live in a country that all rodbuilding stuff is imported then I don't worry too much about where the product comes from as long as the quailty is there along with the cost. Therefore Davids remark I like to support US jobs does not support the buy US blanks as well as he think it does.

Rolly Beenen
Rovic Custom Rods

Posted by: David Miller (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: March 16, 2014 12:57PM

Rolly,

Buying a USA blank from Mudhole ,Hydra,Angler's Workshop ,Bingham Enterprises or any other US distributor supports more American jobs than buying an import blank. I still order supplies from Utmost Ent, as well.

Wouldn't you buy a rod blank made in Canada if the price, quality and warranty was to your liking?

All I was saying is that people should not disregard blanks made in the USA, even if all or most of the components are imported, if that is what they want to have.

Date: March 16, 2014 02:05PM

Not stuck on the whole protectionist economics but if all things were the same sure I would buy Canadian but I wont limit my choices to it. I have to take a look at all things including duty, 13% tax and shipping so if there was a canadian blank I could safe on duty but that is all.

Rolly Beenen
Rovic Custom Rods

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 16, 2014 03:27PM

Not for Nothing
But
Why does any one think that products are made Overseas
profit !!
It costs a lot to live in this free country
Prices of every thing you use is -- going Up

What are ya going to do --- Move
As long as the quality is up to par

Bill - willierods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster