I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Shipping Charge Suggestion
Posted by: Jeff Shafer (---.airproducts.com)
Date: March 06, 2014 07:47AM

Not trying to prolong the shipping charge debate, but I feel a solution is possible. Feel free to delete or lock if this topic is now off limits - I won't be offended.

The vast majority of rod builders aren’t high volume builders, so they’re also not high volume component buyers. They don’t buy extras of this or that because there is a likelihood the components will not be put to use. So if the vendor they choose to buy a blank from doesn’t carry specific components they’d like for the rod, they (myself included) end up buying some minor components independent from the blank purchase.

From experience, this is where the shipping charge component is viewed as out of line. Paying standard shipping chart rates for a couple of winding checks mailed in an envelope is painful, but necessary in part due to shipping staff efforts. I think it would be great though if vendors of all types would be able to offer small envelope rates, where clearly the package itself and the carrier charges are fairly low. There would be some added complexity on the sellers’ parts, and larger item charges would need to increase. But all around, customers spending the same collective shipping costs would likely be happier.

Jeff

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Shipping Charge Suggestion
Posted by: john backos (---.nyc.biz.rr.com)
Date: March 06, 2014 08:19AM

Jeff,

I have purchased many items from the vendor in question over the years and at the end of the order they allow you to insert comments prior to confirmation. You could specify first class mail.

Posted by: Lou Auret (204.16.161.---)
Date: March 06, 2014 08:31AM

jeff,
there are also costs for stuffing that envelop that you may not be aware of:
Maintaining stock levels.
Pick list generation and maintenance.
You still have to take that item out of a bin and update records, reorder and track one or a hundred the overhead is the same.
etc.

Processing the order is as complex for a 15c winding check as a $300 blank.

Same thing applies in retail too, we have dollar stores that rely on massive turnover to stay alive and the guys who sell one or two Ferraris a month.
There IS no massive turnover in rodbuilding: fishing licences are down from 10 years ago that means its a shrinking market.
Component manufacturers like big orders so sell to the makers of rods for BPS and other stores, results are more variety of bling on rods in shops than you can get if you assemble them yourself and the costs are cheaper for them too.

That said there ARE suppliers on the left that charge you the cost of the envelope and stampor close to it, to send you those small items.

Posted by: David Miller (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: March 06, 2014 08:56AM

Any company can put the handling and packaging cost into the price of their goods.

But that is not fair for the folks that buy big orders or do pickup in person.

Posted by: Jeff Shafer (---.mycingular.net)
Date: March 06, 2014 09:01AM

I'm not here to debate whether current practices are fair or unfair. Each vendor will decide their practice. I'm simply stating that some creativity may actually result in a change in customers' perceptions. And those perceptions can be important.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 06, 2014 09:02AM

And stamps just when up in price UPS is going up

I guess that is the Suppliers fault ??

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: March 06, 2014 09:12AM

Or maybe talk to the supplier you are dealing with and they may adjust the shipping on a small ticket item. Trust me I`ve done it. The rates in the shopping cart set too a formula. A $200 order can be a 7 foot blank (expensive to ship) or a gold plated reel seat (less to ship). Speak to the supplier and I bet most will make an adjustment but it needs to be overridden by a person.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: David Spence (---.scansafe.net)
Date: March 06, 2014 09:14AM

I'm certain that each board sponsor has a contact number on its website. If you don't like the shipping policy plainly stated on the website, then pick up the phone and have the guts to discuss the policy with the vendor. Seems a bit cowardly to place an order, confirm it twice after the shipping total is included, then come on the board to bit@# about the vendor.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 06, 2014 09:15AM

There are a lot of misconceptions about the state of the rod building component supply business these days. Rarely do I go more than a month than somebody calls me and asks me what I think about them getting into the component supply business. They all feel they can make a killing on this supposedly lucrative business by offering good "service." They think they see some sort of opening that just isn't there. I tell them all the same thing - "You've got rocks in your head if you think you can make money in this business today. You'll be discounting your products within 6 months just to keep your nose above water." Most refuse to believe me, but they find out the hard way soon enough.

The industry is plagued with over saturation of product, over saturation of manufacturers, over saturation of dealers. There is duplication of everything on every level against a continually shrinking market. Margins will never again be what they once where. Building in shipping and handling costs to product prices is no longer possible - at least not if you expect to be competitive.

Folks that place very small orders need to be aware that in many cases the dealer is actually losing money by filling such orders. Order a tiptop and a winding check and the dealer will spend more in time and effort than he makes in the buck or two profit. For many years, most dealers added a small order fee to any order that was for less than a certain amount. In the 80's this was usually $3 to $5 for any order under about $10 to $15. I'd guess that in today's dollars that'd be around $10 for any order under $20 to $30. But the market is so terribly competitive these days that few dare protect themselves this way. For many, the bottom shipping and handling charge is often a way to ensure they don't actually lose money on these very small orders. Companies can go broke filling small orders.

Date: March 06, 2014 09:29AM

That is why Suppliers send emails They give some thing free with your order -- of $150.00 or more

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Richard Glabach (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 06, 2014 09:31AM

I am not a die-hard defender of free markets for everything, but in this case each supplier has the right to charge what they feel is proper and the burden of not losing money or customers. Each customer has the right to choose suppliers and the obligation to understand what the terms of the purchase are.

It's quite simple. And good relationships can be maintained in a fair way.

Posted by: Mihalyfalvi Gabriel (78.96.148.---)
Date: March 06, 2014 10:37AM

Tom Kirkman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> There are a lot of misconceptions about the state
> of the rod building component supply business
> these days. Rarely do I go more than a month than
> somebody calls me and asks me what I think about
> them getting into the component supply business.
> They all feel they can make a killing on this
> supposedly lucrative business by offering good
> "service." They think they see some sort of
> opening that just isn't there. I tell them all the
> same thing - "You've got rocks in your head if you
> think you can make money in this business today.
> You'll be discounting your products within 6
> months just to keep your nose above water." Most
> refuse to believe me, but they find out the hard
> way soon enough.
>
> The industry is plagued with over saturation of
> product, over saturation of manufacturers, over
> saturation of dealers. There is duplication of
> everything on every level against a continually
> shrinking market. Margins will never again be what
> they once where. Building in shipping and handling
> costs to product prices is no longer possible - at
> least not if you expect to be competitive.
>
> Folks that place very small orders need to be
> aware that in many cases the dealer is actually
> losing money by filling such orders. Order a
> tiptop and a winding check and the dealer will
> spend more in time and effort than he makes in the
> buck or two profit. For many years, most dealers
> added a small order fee to any order that was for
> less than a certain amount. In the 80's this was
> usually $3 to $5 for any order under about $10 to
> $15. I'd guess that in today's dollars that'd be
> around $10 for any order under $20 to $30. But the
> market is so terribly competitive these days that
> few dare protect themselves this way. For many,
> the bottom shipping and handling charge is often a
> way to ensure they don't actually lose money on
> these very small orders. Companies can go broke
> filling small orders.
>
>
> .................

In my case is the opposte. Im having trouble with the bigger orders(no blanks) of component. Bigger amount spending, bigger shipping charges. And yes I called and emaild the supplier, but with no luck to resolve ..for me this is a very big problem...a

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 06, 2014 10:51AM

There is a great deal of liability in shipping overseas. Many suppliers won't do it at all anymore.

Posted by: Michael Blomme (---.direcway.com)
Date: March 06, 2014 12:38PM

Jeff,
I sell my rods, but I am retired from my day job and don't want my rod building to become a job. I limit the number of rods I build each year. I use what profit I make to add more tools so I can build better rods or build them more efficiently or I use this profit to take my wife to a fancy restaurant for our anniversary. As a result I don't order large numbers of items each year. I have a limited number of blanks in my work shop and if I need a blank I don't have I order a blank from my supplier. This is also true for components. However, When I place an order, I check to see how close I am to the next increase in shipping charges. I then order small items to bring me to just below that jump. This way I keep a supply of hook keepers, guides, winding checks, CP or Finish and thread in my shop. Recently, I ordered a blank that had a pretty steep taper and asked the people at Angler's Workshop if they could find a winding check to fit at a certain distance from the butt of the rod. They did that for me. They didn't charge me for that service. I have found the people at Angler's Workshop to be friendly, extremely competent, willing to offer me help and willing to take the time to help me with a problem. As a result I am extremely loyal to them. I do not begrudge them the shipping charges. For all that they do for me I am grateful and willing to pay their shipping charges. Besides, the shipping charges can be added to the price of the rods I sell.

Unless you only build a rod every few years, any extra components you buy will eventually be used for either a rod project or for a repair.

Mike Blomme

Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: March 06, 2014 01:47PM

I recently shipped 2 rod blanks to a person who only lives 300 miles away. The package weighed less than 1 pound. It was 50" in length and I wanted to insure it for $250.00. UPS only insures at $100.00 increments so I had to insure for $300.00. They said the package was oversize, so there was an extra charge for that. In total it cost over $29.00 to ship a slender tube that weighed less than 1 pound with UPS. I am going to check out the USPS next time. I thought I could ship for $15.00 or under, so I lost $14.00 on the deal. It pays to check before you ship or order either one.

Date: March 06, 2014 02:05PM

I have just received an order from MH Got it in three days darn good for Florida

The back ordered item is My Fault I did not notice it on the emails they sent me But I am sure they will take care of me when I call

Seems that painted seat is from overseas I thought it was a Amtek seat ??? Which is next door
I am going to get another and paint it myself

Got to do some Research on suppliers

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/06/2014 05:16PM by bill boettcher.

Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: March 06, 2014 07:52PM

as I only do a few rods I don't keep much on hand , order all I need from a supplyer, they do great job ,
# 1 after I order they tell me just what the postage will be , if I don't like it I can cansel the order it is up to me to deside if I do the order or not , if sonthing is back ordered
they work wirh me in all orders I don't like it but it is the cost or ordering over the web or phone , BILL

William Sidney
AK

Posted by: mike thacker (---.sub-75-222-118.myvzw.com)
Date: March 06, 2014 11:29PM

Again, it seems we do this every month. I am with Tom Kirkman on his multiple statements regarding shipping. Buy from who you like, don't buy from who you don't like and don't come on here complaining about every little thing (especially shipping). Kicking the proverbial dead horse is an understatement. If you have a suggestion for the way a company does business, save it and open your own business and do it yourself. We all certainly did not get into rod building because we were looking to save money (or if we did, we learned quickly). Fish on.

Posted by: Sammy Mickel (---.61.187.173.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: March 08, 2014 08:32AM

Normally I stay out of these posts but I can relate somewhat to some comments as of an order just recently. I understand well the shipping charges and when they are “upped” for blanks and large packages. In fact I just made an oder last week for some guides and my wholesale shipping charge was “X”. As of an email Friday that shipping charge jumped three times “X”. When you don’t even get a friendly “this is why we upped the charge” it leaves you wandering. The customer in the end will be asking the same question when I up the charge on his end and yes there is extra built into my charge to the customer.

Posted by: jim jackson (---.hsd1.tx.comcast.net)
Date: March 08, 2014 10:34AM

Ya know, i gotta say, I complain as much as anyone about shipping costs. Here in Houston, we have a terrific rod building supply store, Fishing Tackle Unlimited. But houston is big. and many of us live 20+ miles away. It's about 20 miles from Galveston too. It has occurred to me that at 20mpg, it takes $6 in gas alone to get there and back. I have to take a toll road, which is another $5 total. So, I am well on my way to standard shipping charges just to step foot in the store. This math has made me complain (slightly) less than before about shipping. I have also found that for many items, the shipping cost you are charged is less than USPS, UPS or fedex will charge if you walk into their stores and try and ship the exact item in the same container the same distance. Shipping is just damn expensive. Best case scenario: Big time rod building supply store becomes Amazon Prime eligible...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster