I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Shipping Charges
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 05, 2014 06:39PM

From time to time there are posts about shipping charges on purchased items to build a rod or supplies.
Often the complaint is that the actual postage is X but the charges are X+Y.

Now, lets turn the page to the point where you, the builder is now the shipper of your finished product. i.e. you have built a very nice rod and are ready to ship this rod to a location that is on the other side of the country.

So, starting from the time that you hand the finished rod off to your shipping department - likely yourself, how much time and money do you spend to prepare this rod for shipment,

This is time and money that is spent that is not involved with the actual postage.

Look at things like a shipping container, the time to go and pick up the shipping container. Plastic bags, or other protection that you might use to pack the rod.

etc. etc. etc.

Sure, when you quote a price for the rod, you have included this time, and $$ into the price of the delivered rod.

But, I suspect that if you are honest with your self, you will likely have as many labor and materials $$ tied up in the shipment of the rod, as the actual postage required to ship the rod.

I do know that from my personal view point, it is much more economic to both myself and my client to be able to ship 10-20 rods at the same time in the same container. i.e. the cost of container and shipping materials is not that much different for 20 rods, as it is for 1 rod. Also, because the actual weight of the rod is almost negligible, the actual postage cost for shipping a single rod is not that much different than shipping 20 rods, if all 20 rods are in the same container.

So, when you wonder about the shipping charges being charged by vendors today - put yourself in the shoes of the vendor - as you are when you ship a finished rod and see what you charge for your time and materials to make the shipment.

Good luck

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Shipping Charges
Posted by: curtis drumm (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: March 05, 2014 07:53PM

Think of the folks that do the packing and shiping, they have famlys too, a little pay would be nise.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 05, 2014 08:42PM

And
I herd that UPS is raising there shipping rates
Customer pays more ??LOL

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Richard Hahn (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 05, 2014 09:09PM

I deal mainly with Utmost and Swampland mainly because they don't rip you off on the shipping like 1 other that was recently posted about. ......... Oh ..... and they do have families

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 05, 2014 09:20PM

Nobody is ripping you off if they plainly list their shipping charges up front so you know beforehand what you're going to be charged. To know what you're going to be charged, accept and pay it, and then complain that you got ripped off is absurd.

Posted by: mike thacker (---.sub-75-254-73.myvzw.com)
Date: March 05, 2014 09:53PM

Is this a topic we need to revisit every month? It seems like we do.

Posted by: David Miller (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: March 05, 2014 09:57PM

As someone that has shipped many packages of live tropical fish through USPS and FedEx, shipping cost and packaging keeps rising and it is very tough to be 100% exact on a shipping quote especially an online ordering system that many volume rod building supply companies have. Shipping cost can jump up drastically depending on weight ,volume and distance in transit.

Why not ask for a lower priced shipping option before hitting accept and paying online?

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 05, 2014 10:02PM

Not only that, but many don't realize that companies that ship a lot of parcels, often negotiate a better price with the shippers but with a caveat that the shippers will not cover any losses due to damage, loss, theft, etc. There are a lot of hidden charges incurred by the companies that do this. Funny that no one is on here blasting Cabelas, Orvis, LL Bean, Bass Pro Shops, etc., for using the same shipping charge system used by the larger rod building component supply houses.

No, we don't need to revisit this each month. If you don't like a company's shipping charges or policies, buy elsewhere. It makes no sense to gripe about something that is made plain to you upfront. No surprises. You know beforehand what it's going to cost.

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.
Webmaster