I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

John Lentz Lighthouse Rod
Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 24, 2014 12:20PM

I hoped to bump into John during the show, maybe I did??? I wanted to congratulate him on the Lighthouse Rod that he built and put in the rod display at the ICRBE. THat was the best concept rod that I've ever seen, and I was extremely impressed with every aspect of the build. I wanted to talk to him and hear teh background story on the rod, and learn a little more about how he came up with the concept and ideas for the rod.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: John Lentz Lighthouse Rod
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 24, 2014 02:16PM

I'm sure you noticed - the wraps were painted to resemble brick masonry work.

Date: February 24, 2014 04:58PM

I don't know if they were painted, or if he did a weave guide wrap - I thought it was all thread. His EVA work was fantastic and extremely detailed. He earned my "Best in show" vote.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 24, 2014 05:09PM

Did any one take any pictures of this rod ???
post them if you did

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Chad Huderle (67.50.130.---)
Date: February 24, 2014 05:32PM

Bill, here's a photo that Mark Blabaum shared.
[www.rodbuilding.org]

Thanks,
Chad Huderle

Huderle Custom Rods
Prior Lake, MN

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/24/2014 05:34PM by Chad Huderle.

Date: February 24, 2014 06:39PM

The pic is so unsatisfying!! I hope there re some close ups of the rod, the detail in the grip inlays and guide wraps!!!! I'm a fan of John Lentz!! lol.

Posted by: John Lentz (---.hsd1.ky.comcast.net)
Date: February 24, 2014 06:56PM

Wow, thank you all for the compliments, I really appreciate it. Billy, I did meet you but only as my screen name on SOL, Fishizzle. I actually had the idea for the foregrip and split grip wrap a long time ago. I did most of the EVA and the split grip wrap three years ago and just never got around to finishing the rod. In that time I came up with other ideas that I incorporated into the rod. All of the artwork is EVA and thread wraps and weaves using Mardiera thread. For the guides I did an underwrap of the black and white spiral between the guide feet and than used grey to extend to the ends of the guide wraps. After a thin coat of finish I wrapped the guides on with grey thread and another thin coat of finish. The brick pattern on the guides is a weave that was very time consuming. I think the butt guide took about 5 hrs on just the brick over wraps. I am in Nashville right now visiting family but I will try to get some photos up later this week when I get home. I will be happy to answer any questions anyone has, and thanks again for the kind words.

John

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 24, 2014 06:59PM

In this day and age of painting, decaling, etc., weaving the brick pattern into the guide wraps is a herculean effort. Very well done.

Posted by: Mark Blabaum (199.230.124.---)
Date: February 24, 2014 09:22PM

John, I was impressed with the rod, I originally thought the light house was made with plaster. After looking at it for a bit, I realized that it was EVA and a lot of little segments, the light house even had a door built from segmented pieces. The build was spectacular and the photo doesn't do the rod justice, Great job, I really enjoyed seeing the rod.

Date: February 25, 2014 02:00AM

Are you serious? YOu come to my booth without asking if I saw the rod you put in the rack? HAdI known that you did the rod you would have been given a lifetime membership to The NERBS, lol. I soent a bit of time looking at the rod, all the details, the "Egytptian" wrap around inlay in the back grip was what intrigued me the most. THe shape of the grips matching the contour of the lighthouse....briliant and ballsy!!

Posted by: David Miller (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: February 25, 2014 08:56AM

The lighthouse rod is a work of ART!!!

As a newbie rod builder I don't know much at all about weaving but just by staring at the rod for a long time I know that it took a lot of creativity, skill and patience to a make a work of art of that caliber!

Posted by: Mark Blabaum (204.86.231.---)
Date: February 26, 2014 03:53PM

I loaded a couple of close up's of John Lentz's light house rod.

[www.rodbuilding.org]
[www.rodbuilding.org]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster