I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

2014 Expo
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 23, 2014 11:15PM

It will take me a couple days to get organized again and get some photos up on the photo page. Also another magazine deadline is in the works in just a few days so please bear with me.

In the meantime I can tell you this - The attendance at this year's Expo was up again, slightly. Spending was up measurably. There were some notable new products unveiled and we'll get into those later. Most vendors realized a sales increase. A very few, slipped a bit in that area. One thing I've noticed is that those who seem to hit the home runs are the ones that have something new or different on hand. Those that are off a bit are doing the same thing as in year's past. But to be fair, it's not always easy to come up with "new" and "different' each and every year. Still, as the Expo has grown it has become more and more competitive for the retail vendors there. I think that sunk in this year more than ever.

The Expo grand door prizes were won by Sidney Holden (Pacific Bay wrapping machine) and Jeff Bullard (Cork4US UV finish machine). It seemed like more than half the vendors were running their own door prize give aways, some on the hour, every hour. Never before has so much "stuff" just been outright given away.

The RodMaker Reception move back to Saturday night seemed to be popular overall. The head count reached a new high this year. Fortunately we had plenty of room and the food held out, mostly, save for the vegetable trays. The Spring Rolls were the headline insofar as the food and they were in good supply. Delicious. Dozens and dozens of free door prizes were awarded, including four grand prizes (rod lathe/wrapping machines). The Renzetti was won by a young gentleman that has only recently been tutored in the craft of rod building.

The overwhelming majority of the attendees had nothing but superlatives to say about the event. If there was a complaint among them, I have yet to hear it (although I'm not naive enough to believe there were none). Folks appeared to have great fun, which seems to be the most important thing for the attendees. The venue again received rave reviews, as did the local hotels and food amenities.

Much more to show and tell in the coming week. Until this I leave you with something from Pacific Bay's Vic Cutter: "You can quote me on this - this was the best Expo ever."

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 2014 Expo
Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 24, 2014 06:00AM

I try to not base how good the show is on how much product I sell, or how many people attended. FOr me, that is not why I go. Getting to meet people face to face, shake hands, take photos, get to know others in teh industry on a business and personal level - that's what keeps me and the rest of The NERBS coming back year after year. We already discussed next year and we will be there again, taking over the show, hotel, and restaurants we go to, lol.

Posted by: Lou Auret (204.16.161.---)
Date: February 24, 2014 08:28AM

Tom, i have to 100% agree with what Billy said: its about the people we meet and relationships refreshed.
This year's highlight was the turning seminars for me.
Getting a triangular shape handle turned on a lathe plus getting those awful tool eating metal mandrels out the way was a highlight for me.

Date: February 24, 2014 09:27AM

Morris still thanks me each year for "allowing" him to teach wood turning at the Expo. He acts like I'm doing him a favor.

Posted by: David Miller (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: February 24, 2014 07:31PM

This was my first expo experience and it was amazing! I really enjoyed the seminars that I attended especially Captain Mike's carbon-fiber grips and Morris's wood turning.

I "stole" a graphite surf rod blank from Mudhole in their $1.49 a foot closeout center first thing Saturday morning. I am going to build it for my father-in-law's birthday present.

Bought myself a St. Croix Avid 11 foot surf blank through Bingham Enterprises. Seeing that rod blank in person is much more impressive than seeing a pic on the web. Also talking to all of the great vendors in person also helps when it comes to purchases.

To any vendor that was hoping for more sales during the expo you will surely get more online business in the future from myself that need more components from the two blanks that I bought and other folks that may have just bought blanks or even just a roll of thread.

Next year I will bring more cash with me!!

Thanks Tom for the great expo!!

Posted by: Robert Moody (---.par.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: February 24, 2014 10:33PM

Unfortunately this is the first expo that I have missed in 5 years. Having recently retired I just couldn;t justify spending the gas and lodging and not eating for a month. The motel prices seem to be way out of control through my tainted retirement eyes.Guess I'll have to get used to poverty and cutting back on essentials. I will start saving for 2105 next week.There goes all my supplies for this years builds.

Posted by: Robert Moody (---.par.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: February 24, 2014 10:33PM

Unfortunately this is the first expo that I have missed in 5 years. Having recently retired I just couldn;t justify spending the gas and lodging and not eating for a month. The motel prices seem to be way out of control through my tainted retirement eyes.Guess I'll have to get used to poverty and cutting back on essentials. I will start saving for 2105 next week.There goes all my supplies for this years builds.

Date: February 25, 2014 07:44AM

It's funny - one of the guys from up north came by and remarked how affordable the hotel prices in Winston Salem were. And he was talking about the Marriot, not the Motel 6 down the street. It all depends on what you're used to. For some, a $120 room seems like a bargain. For others, it's expensive. But the nice thing about Winston Salem is that there are roughly a dozen hotels within walking distance of the Convention Center and the room prices run from $50 a night to $200 a night. You can take your pick.

Posted by: David Miller (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: February 25, 2014 08:36AM

I don't go out of town often but when I do I check out websites such as Hotwire.com to get better deals.

I went to an aquarium fish convention in Washington DC in the summer of 2012 and I found a room with 2 beds in a very nice hotel for less than $80 a night including tax. My friend and I split the room and gas so the trip was not too costly at all especially to DC.

From the deals that I saw at the expo I can see how a rod builder can pay for the gas and hotel stay by the savings there and not paying for shipping which has gone way up especially for long or bulky items.

I am very fortunate to live 20 minutes from the expo in Welcome, NC, so if you can't find a good deal on lodging and have someone else come with you to split the cost you can stay at my home for free . I have a spare guest room with a cozy queen bed but the only issue is we will have a 9 month old baby in the next room. I am hoping he will be a good baby like his daddy LOL.

Posted by: Get Bit Outdoors.Com (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: February 27, 2014 04:12PM

Great Show as always, Thank you!!

Tight Lines and Bull's-eyes,

Get Bit Outdoors
407-542-7840
www.GetBitOutdoors.com
www.facebook.com/GetBitOutdoors

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: February 28, 2014 08:29AM

For Lana & I the Expo has always been about meeting & talking with people. This year was certainly no exception --- including the 'after hours events' at the Marriott with the Michigan Rod Builders group. What fun folks they are!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster