I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

New Concept guide placement using forecast guides
Posted by: Mark Schulte (---.tnt1.valparaiso2.in.da.uu.net)
Date: November 04, 2001 04:44PM

I would like to know if I could use Forecast guides to set up a rod in the New concept guide format. I would like to try it if it will work. I see the offer a single foot fly guide that might work.
Mark Schulte

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: New Concept guide placement using forecast guides
Posted by: William (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 04, 2001 05:51PM

I don't think anything matters except that the concept is adhered to. If the particular forecast guides you mention will get you the line path that is required then it should make no difference. I think it has been said many times that the new guide concept and the fuji new concept guides are two different things.

Posted by: Warren (205.188.195.---)
Date: November 04, 2001 08:47PM

Agree wholeheartedly with William. About 3 wks ago rebuilt a spinning rod for my son applying the New Guide Concept but used no New Concept Guides. Worked like a charm the rod now casts almost twice as far as it did in the old "gradual stepdown" configuration.
Go for it and good luck. Warren

Posted by: Rich Garbowski (---.voyageur.ca)
Date: November 04, 2001 10:01PM

Mark,
Concept guide placement will surely work with Forecast Guides as it is a 'system' of guide placement and not necessarily brand name, where you would want to choose smaller and lighter guides toward the tip. The low profile guides or the smallest possible down to size 6 (if these you can choose for your particular blank).
Also as you observe, the single foot fly guides are as low as you can get to the blank and a good method of incorporating into the concept technique.

If you are familiar with the good writeup in a not too distant past issue of RodMaker explaining the relation of quick reduction in guide size from the butt guide and out to the tip with smaller and lighter guides.
For example, forecast guides in TiGold or TiCh really fit the pattern for building into a nice concept guide system custom rod. Of course you could use also the light s/s framed as well or lite TiCh framed with hardalloy ring. These are all very light in the small ring sized guides needed near the tip. Of course, if you are going to build for purpose of carrying larger sized line or shock leaders the ring sizes fit accordingly with the blank dimensions, maybe wanting to use size 8's instead, maybe 10's if you have to accomodate the larger diameter blank. Usually with a med. wt. spinning or casting rod and a normal tip size of say 5.5 try going with 6 ring for the final guides and top, or 7's at the largest.

Remember, the idea is weight reduction and size right straight after the butt guide and the line laying for smooth transition parallel with the blank but through control by an extra or few small guides.

The fly single foot guides reduce weight even more, besides bringing down the profile along a straight path. The last few guides in concept are often spaced closer than you might at first imagine, resulting in the use of sometimes 10 or more guides on a casting rod of 6 1/2 or 7', for example. By all means, try Forecast guides and maybe even save a little on the pocketbook as a bonus. I'm sure you'll be pleased with the outcome.

Rich
Richard's Rod & Reel.

Re: New Concept guide placement
Posted by: Steve French (207.221.70.---)
Date: December 05, 2001 08:49PM

I am getting ready to build my first rod using the New Concept
setup. The rod will be a casting rod.
The blank is a Rainshadow ISP843-F (7'2pc) with a 17" grip.
The guides I have are (4) BLAG6J, (1) each BLNAG10J,BLNAG12J,
BUNAG7G,BUNAG8G and a BFAT6-5.0 tip. Any help I can get with
guide sizes, # of guides and spacing would be welcomed.
Thanks,
Steve French

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster