I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Batson, AmTak, Fuji, PacBay titanium guides?
Posted by: Will Dea (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: December 07, 2013 07:26PM

Hey fellas, do you still prep the guide feet before wrapping?

Is there one manufacturer that has a better prepped foot and finish for wrapping?

Speaking solely for spinning and casting rods up to 20lb.

Thanks!

Will

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/08/2013 03:32PM by Will Dea.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Baton, AmTak, Fuji, PacBay titanium guides?
Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: December 07, 2013 08:12PM

Absolutely not. You missed Kigan, they also offer a nice titanium alloy frame.

Posted by: Michael Danek (50.124.21.---)
Date: December 07, 2013 10:38PM

Alps, too. I prep feet only when I need to. I think there are other factors in guide selection much more important than whether I have to prep the feet or not.

Posted by: Forrest Peters (---.wi.res.rr.com)
Date: December 07, 2013 11:31PM

I always prep the feet you get a better transition from blank to guide. To each his own I guess. It is just out of habit. It is like cleaning primer pockets when reloading.Everyone does it different.

Lone Wolf Rods
"Keep your powder dry and your lines wet"
God Bless

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 08, 2013 08:18AM

I at least sand the feet with 400 dry paper It takes any sharp edges off and gives them a nicer serface so the thread does not slide off

Bill - willierods.com

Date: December 08, 2013 08:58AM

You're right, Bill, it does help the thread climb the foot. I got lazy, will go back to your method.

Re: Batson, AmTak, Fuji, PacBay titanium guides?
Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 08, 2013 03:54PM

I find the Batson and Snake brand guides the best for minimal need of preparation. As I only build fly rods, I have no experience with other types of guides.

Posted by: Hydra Fishing, LLC (---.aik.sc.atlanticbb.net)
Date: December 08, 2013 07:13PM

Kigan. I RARELY prep guide feet and use size A.

Occasionally on a 30 or 25 spinning, but not much other than that. Never on running guides.

Hydra Fishing, LLC

Online: [www.hydrafishing.com]
Facebook: [www.facebook.com]
Email: info@hydrafishing.com

Date: December 08, 2013 07:23PM

I am doing a rod for myself
Did not do any prep hard chrome plate very smooth
When i hit the feet with 320 - 400 dry paper the thread does not slide off and grips better and climbs up the feet better
How long does it take with a quick scoff even with a scoff pade ???
IMHO

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: December 08, 2013 09:08PM

It isn't about time ... it is about removing the factory coating and/or changing the metallurgic properties of the frame material. It is possible to wrap without prepping and there are fewer problems with saltwater corrosion down the road. Those building for freshwater, most likely won't have issues with prepped guides being compromised down the road.

Date: December 08, 2013 09:18PM

I would say the whole idea is to KEEP the saltwater away from the frame as to incase it in finish

And also wash the rod after every trip ??
IMHO

Take care of your rod and it will last And then you can use Steel frames

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: December 08, 2013 09:28PM

You absolutely compromise the integrity of the frame material by grinding on it ... period. Rinsing is good, but it doesn't completely stop corrosion. Epoxy can only do so much, it isn't going to totally stop saltwater intrusion. Ask the guide manufacturers what they think about changing the metallurgy of their guide frames with heat and grinding.

Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: December 08, 2013 10:48PM

some do an some dont but , take the time an do a good job , the best you can , don't cut coroner's do a great job , you would be happy with my 2 CTS

William Sidney
AK

Posted by: Jim Ising (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: December 09, 2013 10:20AM

With a Titanium Alloy (or even 100% Titanium) foot prep should have no effect since the guides are a solid material. Titanium Coated is a different story as are any stainless coated guides. Breaking the coating exposes the stainless which, since stainless is "minimally" corrosive if CARED FOR PROPERLY should not be a big deal. The problem lies in the finished surface. Bill Stevens used to talk about this all the time. Stainless steel creates a "vapor oxide barrier" on the surface that "repels" oxidation (holds oxygen molecules away from the surface so no corrosion can occur). The quality of the polish improves the non-corrosive properties. When you grind a stainless foot to improve the thread tracking characteristics you are at the same time reducing the corrosion resistance of the guide foot because the polish is compromised.

Posted by: Will Dea (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: December 10, 2013 01:50AM

Thanks for the info fellas!

And to clarify, I am referring to the complete titanium alloy guides rather than plated models.

Date: December 15, 2013 11:37AM

While most of the discussion has focussed on corrosion resistance, there are BIG structural differences between at least two of the brands of titanium frame guides. I have experience with two only, and they are markedly different, to the point that one I would consider pretty fragile and easy to bend/break and the other almost indestructible.

Posted by: David Miller (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: December 15, 2013 11:55PM

I am in the process of replacing guides on my 9wt fly rod with pac bay titanium guides,a 16 and 12 double foots,a 10 single and 8's for the running guides.They all needed prepping for the feet but it does not take long to do it with sand paper.Also don't have to worry about taking off the protective coating as they are solid like you said.The double foot guides light casting series is very light framed.The DP series of double foots would maybe be better for your application.

I just received a set of American Tackle Titan all purpose set of guides,Mudhole had them for $25 a set for a 24 hour sale I could not pass up on.The feet on all of them needs prepping especially the larger sizes.These are all double foot guides and look and feel quite sturdy and the nanolite ring does have a larger inner diameter for their OD compared to the pac bays.

Both brands are good for their cost.

Also bought a set of Tich coated american tackle single foot spinning guide set with coated zirconia rings and they are very nice.Cosmetically the finish looks better than the titanium alloy guides and the feet needs very little prep.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster