I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Acid wrapped spinning rod
Posted by: Daniel Tolentino (---.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: November 30, 2013 12:40AM

Can you do it? like would it work right? and can you explain if it doesn't.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Acid wrapped spinning rod
Posted by: Fred Cory (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: November 30, 2013 12:51AM

The guides are already on the underside along with the reel. It is unnecesary to acid wrap a spinning rod. Just hold it the right way with the reel down and you have achieved the same thing.

Date: November 30, 2013 12:54AM

I'm not going to do it, I understand the concept. My buddy as he is a bit dense doesn't want to believe me. Now he is saying he wants it for the looks or, "be original" lol

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: November 30, 2013 06:37AM

Then just hand him any spinning rod and say "There you go, I put the guides on the bottom of the blank."

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (---.hsd1.sc.comcast.net)
Date: November 30, 2013 09:44AM

Take a spinning rod with reel attached and hand it to him upside down...tell him to reel backwards.

Then he'll be different...except for all those folks fishing on piers that already do the same thing...he'll fit right in with that crowd.

You need new friends...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/30/2013 09:45AM by Jay Lancaster.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 30, 2013 09:47AM

Is he one of those guys that fishes a spinning rod with the reel UP ?? LOL

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Garry Thornton (---.natsow.res.rr.com)
Date: November 30, 2013 12:11PM

Some folks think that the guides spiral 360 degrees, completely around the blank.
This might be what your friend has in his mind....

Date: November 30, 2013 02:07PM

Pretty much what I was saying it serves no purpose. Also, I think it would look dumb as @#$%&... and he's saying to wrap the guides starting like a spinner and finishing looking like a conventional. From the bottom to the top? If that makes sense. I can't help but laugh lol

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: November 30, 2013 02:19PM

That would defeat the purpose of a spiral wrap.

Date: November 30, 2013 03:03PM

Try giving him a spinning rod and casting rod with guides on top Put heavy weight on each to load the rods and let him see the difference

I wonder how a rod would cast with the line running completely around the blank LOL - LOL

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Richard Forhan (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: November 30, 2013 09:56PM

Bill,

"I wonder how a rod would cast with the line running completely around the blank LOL - LOL"

I've been there, done that, a Revolver Rod , top to bottom, back to top and back to bottom. ( complete spiral around the blank in one direction) Used it as a Demo rod for skeptics of the spiral wrap. I loaned it out many times, but I cheated - it was a high end blank, Fuji guides and my handle design. I knew the 540 degree spiral was wrong, they knew it was wrong, but it was still better than any rods they had at the time. It cast better, was more sensitive and more stable than any rod they had ever fished. I made up a few myths of why it was better ; as they fished it they could see it fished better. The rod had quite a few fans, mostly for laughter.
I loaned it out one time too many and never got it back - still don't know who has it, but if you ever hear of a bass angler with a magic wand that's green and spirals 540 degrees - it's mine , and any one that uses that rod for 13 years will turn into a FROG not a PRINCE.

Dan,
You can spiral a spinning 180 degrees, even though there is no reason to do so. It will work, just spiral in the same direction the line comes off the reel and then make up a few myths of your own as to why it works. Just don't say I encouraged you. Your buddy can use it as a double threat rod, take the spinning reel off, baitcasting reel on, turn it over, and there you have a spiral wrapped baitcasting rod!

Rich

Posted by: mike thacker (---.sw.biz.rr.com)
Date: December 01, 2013 01:38AM

seriously. This is a thread? Why?

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: December 01, 2013 07:13AM

Mike
Because one man asked a serious question based on a request from a customer.
That person not knowing the answer was humble (and Smart) enough to ask people who might.

His question was answered by some of those people, and others chose to use it as an opportunity to poke fun.

Date: December 01, 2013 10:13AM

Richard
I will be on the look out for it I am sure I will spot it right away LOL

Bill - willierods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster