I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Mike Barkley
Posted by: keith corwin (---.dhcp.bycy.mi.charter.com)
Date: November 24, 2013 12:27PM

With heavy hearts we would like to inform you that Mike Barkley passed away this morning at 10:30 am. As per Mike's wishes, there will be no funeral services. Milke's wife Rita and his daughter Kelly have read the wonderful posts from all of you. They have asked us to express their gratitude for all of your kind words and expressions of admiration and friendship. The Michigan Rod Builders are offering the opportunity to give a donation to help Mike's family with expenses. For those would like to donate, please send funds, as a friend, to mirodbuilders@yahoo.com on paypal. The rod building community has lost not only a valued member, but an innovative pioneer in the our trade. Many of us have reaped the benefits of Mikes knowledge and skill. On a personal note, speaking for myself and Ann, Mike was mentor, friend and just a genuinely nice guy...taken from us too soon. We will miss you Mikey.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Mike Barkley
Posted by: Don Morse (---.dhcp.bycy.mi.charter.com)
Date: November 24, 2013 01:22PM

I was able to spend a good bit of time with this remarkable man.... I will miss our long discussions... Miss you Mike.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/24/2013 01:27PM by Don Morse.

Posted by: Col Chaseling (101.161.10.---)
Date: November 24, 2013 03:34PM

I'm saddened to hear the news. I feel fortunate to have met him at this years Expo. Super nice guy with a great attitude.
Regards to his famiy and friends.
He will be missed by a lot of buiders.
Perhaps the Michigan builders can set up something that will commenmorate a great builder and person so he is never forgotten.

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Posted by: Wes Weaver (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 24, 2013 03:48PM

We are diminished

Posted by: Barry Thomas Sr (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: November 24, 2013 04:20PM

Rest in Peace Mike. My thoughts and Prayers go out to Mikes Family

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.102.204.190.res-cmts.t132.ptd.net)
Date: November 24, 2013 05:34PM

Condolences to family and friends of Mike Barkley. Your in our prayers. Lynn

Posted by: wayne diduch (---.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com)
Date: November 24, 2013 05:47PM

I am deeply saddened by the News...Great man...he will be missed. God Bless you Mike!

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: November 24, 2013 06:41PM

Hello all.

Mike was a great friend to all he met and may he find peace, serenity and all the stuff he needs to work his craft in heaven.

He Is Already Missed.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 25, 2013 07:48AM

I loved seeing Mike once or twice a year at the ICRBE or Chicago gathering. He was one of htose people you just enjoyed being around, listening to his stories, and seeing his face light up as he answerred questions and learned new things. It's great to see how many people he reached out to and communicated with and shared his passion for rodbuilding and life with.

Date: November 25, 2013 08:18AM

Thank you everyone who has made a donation to help mikes family in this time of need. We will keep collecting for one more week (12/2). We will then send all the funds from the paypal account to his wife.... God bless you all for the kind words and blessings.

Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: November 25, 2013 09:29AM

Living on the west coast, I only met Mike once at one of the ICRBE's. He was great to talk to and share info with on turning various pieces. Rest in piece Mike. You will be missed.

Terry Turner

Posted by: Lou Auret (204.16.161.---)
Date: November 25, 2013 09:57AM

Rest in peace Mike, you will be missed.

Posted by: David Gilberg (---.pghkny.east.verizon.net)
Date: November 25, 2013 12:11PM

It is a sad day, indeed. We have lost a dear friend and shining star of this Forum.
Mike Barkley will be sorely missed by many for years to come.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 25, 2013 01:32PM

My Condolences to the family

Bill - willierods.com

Date: November 25, 2013 06:27PM

THIS IS A LINK TO AN OBIT FOR MIKIE, IT HAS A PLACE TO LEAVE A MEMORY OF MIKIE. THE FAMILY WILL READ AND CAN PRINT THEM OUT.
[www.molnarfuneralhome.com]

Posted by: Jerry Poindexter (---.tx.res.rr.com)
Date: November 25, 2013 10:47PM

David Gilberg Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It is a sad day, indeed. We have lost a dear
> friend and shining star of this Forum.
> Mike Barkley will be sorely missed by many for
> years to come.

Well said, David! RIP, Mike.

Posted by: Neil Toland (---.dsl.louisacomm.net)
Date: November 30, 2013 04:00PM

Mike was sure a good guy.

Posted by: Steve Cox (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: November 30, 2013 11:10PM

Mike has been a part of every rod I have built since the first time he responded to one of my 'newbie' questions years ago on this site. Then each time I met and watched him at the big show, my rod building skills and knowledge grew. He will continue to affect all my builds. We lost a great builder, teacher and American.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster