I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Surface Preparation
Posted by: Eric (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 04, 2001 01:21PM

An excellent article in the most recent issue of Rod Maker on preparation of surfaces to be glued. As I was about to glue some cork rings on a blank I recalled the article and re-read it. After a second reading it seemed to me the article was directed towards gluing with epoxies. I use a weatherproof exterior wood glue on my cork rings because after turning the cork handle on a lathe the glue lines are almost invisible. Do the techniques for surface preparation as outlined in the article apply to other types of glues i.e. the wood glue I've mentiioned?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Surface Preparation
Posted by: William (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 04, 2001 04:31PM

I can't imagine you would be gluing your rings to the blank with that type of glue. So I wouldn't think it would be the same. I am not aware of anyone who uses a solvent to clean his corks rings and then abrades them. They don't need it.

Posted by: Eric (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 04, 2001 04:56PM

Sorry if I wasn't clear, but of course I'm not talking about abrading the cork rings. It's the rod blank itself that I'm talking about abrading then applying the glue to as well as the cork rings.

Why not use wood glue? After all, cork is wood. I can't claim I discovered the use of wood glue for my cork rings. Actually, one of our local professional rod builders uses it on all his expensive custom fly rods and recommended it to me several years ago. I quit using epoxy after seeing the results with the wood glue. It bonds the rings to the blank quite well and if the glue is cured with the rings properly clamped the resulting glue lines are virtually non-existent. Since it's exterior wood glue it's weather proof.

Posted by: Roert Balcombe (REELMAN) (---.rb.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: November 04, 2001 06:44PM

Scuff the blank with a gray scoch brie pad then just wipe it off with a clean rag.

Oh no!
Posted by: Mike B. (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 04, 2001 07:42PM

Let me see if I have this correct > you are not only bonding your cork rings with the wood glue, but also bonding them to the blank with the wood glue? Don't do it. The question of when a grip is going to pop loose is not if, but when. I had it happen to me and quickly learned that wood glues do not work well on non-porous surfaces. I would guess the grips you have on those rods now are only hanging on by friction and tightness. How long have you been doing this?

I still like the wood glue for bonding my rings so I glue up my rings off the blank. Then I ream the 'stick' and glue it to the blank with epoxy. Then I turn and shape my cork to desired size and shape.

From the article I would infer that you would use a solvent to clean the blank and then scuff it with a grey scotchbrite pad and then just apply your epoxy and glue the cork stick or grip to the blank.

Re: Oh no!
Posted by: Steve Bohrer (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: November 05, 2001 08:12AM

I do the same, but use Plastic Resin glue for gluing the rings up on a steel rod. No glue lines.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster