I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rod for wire line fishing
Posted by: John (Jack) Sexton (---.seattle-21-22rs.wa.dial-access.att.net)
Date: November 04, 2001 12:28AM

OK Folks I admit I am new to building rods but I have a customer that I don't know how to handle his request. By not having fished his style I don't have any real ideas as to what he really needs. This is what he wants:

Fiberglass not more than 6 feet, a reel seat that will hold a level wind Penn reel for wire line, and "guides that wont cut through in a season or two of fishing".

Now I do know from his buddies that he lets out the line and then puts the rod down in the bottom of the boat and holds to the wire line the fights the fish on the rod. Most of his fishing is for lake trout in deep lakes in northern Idaho and Montana. And by the way does not want roller guides.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rod for wire line fishing
Posted by: Dwayne Rye (---.vbch1.va.home.com)
Date: November 04, 2001 10:08AM

Jack:
I had a very similar question not long ago. Do a search (on this board) for "Guides and more Guides" there is alot of good information there, particularily on the guides themselves. The rods used around my part of the country are for stripper, and the rod itself is a 5' solid fiberglas IGFA 30lb class rod (I think) . There are some very knowledgeable wireline rod builders in this area that read this board, so I'm sure someone will chime in with more exact details.

Posted by: Dwayne Rye (---.vbch1.va.home.com)
Date: November 04, 2001 10:12AM

Another note. I have seen these rods built using a heavy action composite blank completely wrapped with black D thread.

Posted by: Buddy Tison (---.firn.edu)
Date: November 04, 2001 05:10PM

I have fished wire line (soft monel) here in Florida. The roller guide is the way to go. Have used 20#
in the intercoastal and 45# offshore. The drag of just reeling in the wire (20#) over a normal guide made me give
it up. Have two rods with rollers.and 4/0 reel. It is still so much wor,k even without a fish on, that this is a job
assigned to the rookie onboard. At least until they figure why you are letting them "catch" all the fish. It is however
a very effective way to go deep. A downrigger sure makes the work easier with conventional lines and is just as
effective.

Posted by: Rick Gilman (---.tnt2.poughkeepsie.ny.da.uu.net)
Date: November 04, 2001 08:14PM

Jack I am also new to rod building but I am not new to wire line fishing for striped bass. The guides we use on wire line rods are Carbide with a carbide or a wide roller tip. Hope this helpfull.

Posted by: Rolly (---.pr1.on.home.com)
Date: November 04, 2001 10:09PM

Pac Bay has just what you are looking for as far as guides are concerned. They make a guide set called carmet just for wire line. Page 31 of their new cataloge.

Posted by: Bill OConnor (---.z216112040.bos-ma.dsl.cnc.net)
Date: November 05, 2001 09:17AM

In New England we use carbide (Mildrum, if you can find them, Perfection or even Pac-Bay) or SIC fuji high frame.
The question would be what pound test wire and what is he dragging for lures, flies, spoons or Davis spinner rigs with blades.
There are plenty of solid glass blanks that willl do the job. I like using the Pac Bay/Stuart tuff butt for a rear grip. fuiji HD graphite seat and a 8 to 10" foregrip.
I have seen glass blanks rated for 20-30lb with a size 12 top.

Posted by: John (Jack) Sexton (---.seattle09rh15rt.wa.dial-access.att.net)
Date: November 06, 2001 12:37AM

Thanks guys that is a help. I agree that roller guides are the way to go but he won't budge so I will run some of these ideas past him and see if he bites on one of them. Again THANKS

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster