I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

mandrel found
Posted by: bill brodrick (---.cmts.sth3.ptd.net)
Date: October 13, 2013 12:46PM

interesting thing happened at the shop. First time in my rod building career. A guy brought in a old fenwick which broke about 10 inches from the tip. He wanted it repaired and had all 3 pieces. Interestingly he also had a thin rod he said was in the middle of the tip. I figured the guy just had it laying next to the rod so he thought it was with it. Well on my way home it came to me. It was part of the mandrel and broke off in the tip section during manufacturing and was left there. Anyone ever seen this? Surprised it never broke there sooner.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: mandrel found
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: October 13, 2013 02:23PM

Bill,
Are you sure that it wasn't there by design?

For fine tipped rods, I have seen sections of small diameter rods inside the tip section to reinforce the tip area.

Be safe

Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: October 13, 2013 02:45PM

Was this by any chance one of Fenwicks Boron/Graphite rods? The thin rod may be boron and not a mandrel at all. Just a guess.

Date: October 13, 2013 04:09PM

Don't actually know could have been the design it's a HMG. Poor design if It was as its exactly where it broke?

Date: October 13, 2013 04:46PM

boron is very tough, but it is fairly brittle. I believe that is why it was combined with graphite. some of the earlier blanks were made by Rodon. They are some of my favorite personal fly rods. I also have a couple of Lamiglas and Fenwick Boron/Graphite rods in both fly and steelhead casting and love them all. Very responsive. I don't know if it was the cost or what that kept them from becoming more popular. If I am not mistaken the Dale Clemens Apogy blanks had a boron, very fine tip that was encased in a very thin layer of graphite. The tip/top was a 3.5 or 4. I still have one.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: October 13, 2013 08:14PM

No, those Fenwicks were all tubular rods. Anything solid inside wasn't supposed to be there.

Date: October 13, 2013 11:28PM

Tom, I know the Fenwicks were all tubular, but when broken the boron may have separated from the graphite.

Date: October 14, 2013 01:04PM

No its is not boron. It is a solid piece of rod that was in the tip section of the blank. Its steel. I really do believe its part of the mandrel. I have boron rods and they great. But boron is in the scrim right Tom? I cant imagine it is a solid metal rod inside the tip. All that would do is create a weak spot at the end to break. And that's exactly where it broke.

Posted by: Dennis Danku (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: October 14, 2013 01:32PM

It might have been an earlier repair by someone.Factory repair?

Dennis J. Danku
(Sayreville,NJ)

Date: October 15, 2013 05:12PM

Boron is not the scrim.

Posted by: John Martines (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: October 28, 2013 10:22PM

I would have to say it's the mandrel that stuck inside/broke during the extraction. Pretty weird but guess it could happen. Boron is not the best material for rod blanks. It came or comes as stranded in the carbon prepreg. The problem with boron is it is brittle and during the pattern layup, pattern cutting and rolling it could be damaged easy and also has been stuck in the hands of many workers. Boron is heavy and Boron fiber is much bigger then a carbon fiber also if the boron strand breaks it can cut the carbon fibers that surround it. With the resins made today the use of higher grades of carbon are a better choice to use for stiffening a rod with out gaining the weight.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster