I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

The Ultimate moderate 3 wt blank
Posted by: Jeff Connelly (---.sttl.uswest.net)
Date: November 03, 2001 07:30PM

Hello all --

I've just ordered an SC3 8'6'' 4 wt St. Croix...can't wait to build that bad boy!...I've read great things about this blank.

But, I'm also very interested in building a nice moderate action 3 wt.. I built a 2 wt. a few months ago using an anglers workshop IM6 6'6'' blank and do like it, though it is not exactly what I'm after -- I love the action but , for my persoanl taste, it lacks power (recovery speed -- make sense?)

What I would truly like in a blank are the following characteristics.

-- Moderate action 3 wt.
-- Faster recovery than the IM6 I referred to above.
-- Fairly light weight (though not a deal breaker by any means)
-- Oh ya, a pretty color wouldn't hurt either :)

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
-Jeff

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: The Ultimate moderate 3 wt blank
Posted by: William (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 03, 2001 07:37PM

To get better recovery you need to go to a higher modulus blank. That's about the only way I can see to do it. It won't maybe have more power, but will stop vibrating sooner after the cast. I am pretty sure that's what recovery is termed as being as it applies to fishing rods.

Why not a St Croix SCIV in a 3 wt? Should be much like your current 4 weight but just a tad less power. I am not aware of what they offer but I think they have a 7'9" in that series and maybe a 6'6" in the SCIII [Avid} series. Those are moderate action blanks I know for sure.

Date: November 03, 2001 07:53PM

Good call William...if I end up liking the SCIII when it's built out I will probably build more rods using those blanks in different weights.

But honestly I was hoping to try out another blank all together. Half of the fun of rod building, for me, is experimenting with new blanks, guides, etc.. I always have this sinking feeling that there is a blank out there that will be "perfect" for me and I just haven’t tried it yet. Of coarse this will never happen and that’s why rod building is so much fun.

Thanks for your input.

-Jeff

Posted by: Rich Garbowski (---.voyageur.ca)
Date: November 03, 2001 08:47PM

Jeff,
Now your'e getting to me with the St. Croix stuff. 4F864 is the SCIV graphite in 4 wt. 8' 6". It's a 4 pc. travel blank and even more refined than the SCIII. It's also a pretty pleasing spruce green matte finish. This legend series is all the rave as for price vs. performance.
Any we sell are with no regret and great customer satisfaction.
Personally, also the SCIV and SCV are my favorite graphites in rod building.

Something which I probably should keep to myself, but already the cat came out of the bag by Jason, the rod designer at St. Croix is the new SCV prototype fly blank to be shown early next year. I don't know how they can make a good thing like SCIV better, but apparantely that is their aim.

If you want a 2 pc. their is also the SCIV in model 4F864 that should fit the bill. These blanks make up to be very light weight rods and high modulus, high performance with crisp, fast actions and great transfer of power with extreme sensitivity.

I know I keep sounding like a commercial about these, but what can I say when the response is as good as it gets with the value and satisfaction.

Rich
Richard's Rod & Reel.

Date: November 04, 2001 01:08PM

Rich,
I guess I'll have to give the SCIV a shot...I've read and heard excellent things about it.

SCV? Wow...are these blanks on the fast side? I'll be interested to read more about these ones.

Thanks for the info.

-Jeff

Posted by: Mike Canavan (---.stny.rr.com)
Date: November 05, 2001 10:18AM

Sully, was that the SCIII in 4 wt. or 3 wt.?? (I've also been looking to try out the same blank in either a 8' or 8'6 length for a 4wt rod after seeing so many positive posts about them!) Thanks! Mike

Posted by: Jeff (63.89.12.---)
Date: November 05, 2001 11:37AM

Mike,

I ordered an 8'6'' SCIII 4wt. on Saturday....I'll let you know what I think when I build it out. From everything people say this should be an excellent rod.

-Jeff

Posted by: Mike Canavan (---.stny.rr.com)
Date: November 05, 2001 01:50PM

#@*! hobby! -- great, yet another blank to "test" out!! Thanks a bunch for the info Sully!! (Can't wait to build one of those 4wts now!)

Mike

Date: November 05, 2001 03:23PM

Alright, screw it...My buddy got a hold of me today and asked if I wanted to fish a couple of spring creeks with him 2 weeks from now

Now, I can't very well go and fish these little beauties without a brand new 3 wt, can I?

After hearing your description of your 8' 3wt., Sully, I just had to go for it.

So, I ordered up a new SCIII 7' 3wt. blank -- after all they are so reasonably priced....oooh yaaa babeee. Sorry, I got kind of excited there :)

Thanks all for your input.

-Jeff

Date: November 05, 2001 03:57PM

Sully, I tend to like 3wt and lighter rods in shorter lengths....I fish a lot of really small, bush covered water and they make life a lot more enjoyable. I'll let you know how the 7' works out for me.

I've never tried a double taper -- Always used weight forward lines. I've been using a Sage Quiet Taper on a 2 wt. I have and love it to death. Not sure what line I'll use yet but a local fly shop in town will let me test out lines they have wound on reels so I can get the "perfect" fit. I'll be sure to try out a DT and WF back to back and see what happens.

I appreciate your advice.

-Jeff

Re: Dt is heavier
Posted by: shaun (---.pngts.com)
Date: November 07, 2001 09:58AM

If DT lines are a big advantage for shooting lines then why are there WF, Salt Water, Bass Bug and Shooting Heads ? Dt are for shorter casts and more delicate presentations. Small diameter slick running lines are the answer to shooting line

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster