I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Rod Guides Suggestions for a 9FT. 8 Wt.
Posted by: Bruce Tomaselli (---.altnpa.east.verizon.net)
Date: September 23, 2013 06:48PM

What rod guide configuration would you suggest for a 9-foot, 8 Wt., 2-piece fly rod? I'll be using it for bass and steelhead.
Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rod Guides Suggestions for a 9FT. 8 Wt.
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 23, 2013 06:52PM

16 - 10 and as many #6's as you need to round on out to the tip.

Of course, your type of guide and particular line type really come into play. Can you provide a little more information?

Date: September 23, 2013 08:07PM

Hi Tom. The butt is 0.44. It is a #5 tip and it weighs 2.48 ounces. Is it okay to say it is a Tradition II blank? I believe they are moderate-fast blanks. I'm not sure of the modulus. I don't want to offend any of our sponsors.

Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: September 23, 2013 08:28PM

I use a 12-10 and if using single foot guides finish to the tip with 8's. If snakes, make sure they are large enough to pass the knots and be able to shoot line easily.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 23, 2013 08:32PM

Here is the recommendations from the Pac Bay web site.

TRADITION II
LINE WT PCS
FLY
FROM TIP DOWN
2TF908
LINE WT PCS 2 Guide Spacing 4'', 9'', 15'', 22'', 29.5'', 37.5'', 46.5'', 56.5'', 67'', 78''
9ft. FLY 8 Guide Size Model SN, 2,2,2,2,3,3,3,4 Model T, 10,12

Date: September 23, 2013 08:39PM

Gees, I didn't know Pac Bay had a web site and the Tradition II was a Pac Bay blank.

Date: September 23, 2013 08:40PM

The list too many sizes - you don't need to use that many and will have less weight and a straighter line path by using less sizes.

The PB site is showing snake sizes. My post above would be for single foot ceramics or Minimas.

Date: September 23, 2013 08:47PM

Tom, What would you suggest in snake guides; 12, 6, 4, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, plus a tip top?

Date: September 23, 2013 09:07PM

Assuming you know that 3's are large enough to easily pass your line and leader knot connection, I'd use 16 - 10 (ringed guides) and then all 3 snakes from there on out.

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.lightspeed.wepbfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 23, 2013 11:25PM

For an 8wt I would go with 16, 12 (both ceramics) then 3's the rest of the way. Either snakes or s/f. But my choice would be REC Recoil s/f runners. Definitely an REC Recoil tip top with large ring.

Herb

Posted by: Torin Koski (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: September 24, 2013 10:16AM

If I were to build that rod, I'd definitely use All Minimas as follows: 20T, 12T, 7, 6, 6, 6, 6, 6, 6, 6, 6, 7(tip). I know the 7's aren't necessary, but I often find it helps to use an oversized tip. The other 7 is merely to create a visual size reduction between the 12 and the first 6. I tend to use one more guide in the guide train than more conventional layouts but I still have a very well balanced rod.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: September 24, 2013 11:51AM

The butt leader section for an 8 wt. is at least 40 lb. test, so if this rod is going to cast a leader affixed to the fly line with a nail knot then plan ahead for minimum guide diameters. Because of their geometry snake guides have a larger effective opening than ring guides of the same "diameter" - and having two guide feet wrapped to the blank makes snake guides more durable than single-footers for heavier duty rods.

Date: September 24, 2013 05:53PM

Tom Kirkman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Assuming you know that 3's are large enough to
> easily pass your line and leader knot connection,
> I'd use 16 - 10 (ringed guides) and then all 3
> snakes from there on out.
>
> ................

How will I know what guides are large enough for the line to pass through? I've never built a rod this weight. I think I'll be using 1X or 2X tippet for bass and steelheads. I don't even think I'll need a tapered leader to nymph, throw streamers or wooly buggers for those fish. I'm guessing 3s will be large enough. Advise please.

Date: September 24, 2013 05:54PM

I think 3's will suffice. Your line will pass easily through that. What you watch for is your nail knot or any loop to loop connections. But a 3 is generally large enough to easily pass either.

Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: September 24, 2013 06:44PM

The first thing that I would ask after all this advice, is how many have actually made this rod, and second how many have actually cast and fished with one. I would ask the same thing with any guide size, spacing, which rod blank they are using, etc. then, I would go out in the yard and test different set ups. Not all blanks are going to require the same set up as another. Just my 2 cents.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: September 24, 2013 08:03PM

Please help me out here as I'm no big fly rodder. Aside from the fly line to backing knot, what other knots need to clear? I mean who casts the leader/tippet through the guides? Granted I'm assuming roughly a nine foot leader and a standard fly line but that doesn't seem too big of an assumption (for a 9' 8 weight rod).

And then I wonder just how many fly fisherman have to worry about getting into the backing often. As a saltwater guy I'd think it common. I'd imagine for salmon and steelhead the same....but few other fish would make such runs (certainly not bass in my experience)....right?

Just trying to understand the concern over the need to pass knots.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Date: September 24, 2013 08:41PM

It's not always the cast - it's when you need to retrieve the line-leader connection through the guides either when landing a fish or putting up or setting up for the day.

There is also the possibility that a person might be using loop to loop connections, particularly if they're employing a shooting line which means you'd definitely have to get two loops back through the guides both on the preparation for the cast and upon the retrieve.

Sometimes one larger guide size sets the rod up to do nearly everything well, while one smaller size creates a situation where it could wind up a one trick pony.

Posted by: Greg Foy (---.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net)
Date: September 24, 2013 09:15PM

Also, when using loop to loop connections and shooting heads, the connections pass through snake guides much better than single foot wire guides. I have not used ceramic guides so i cannot compare those. If you are going to be swinging flies for steelhead or dredging for bass with shooting heads I recommend snake guides.

Date: September 25, 2013 06:51AM

The general rule for number of guides, if not using Static Guide Placement, which I like, is a guide for each foot of the rod, plus one. So, a 9 foot rod will use 10 guides and a tip top. Does that standard still apply?

Posted by: Drew Pollock (---.100-30-64.ftth.swbr.surewest.net)
Date: September 25, 2013 03:48PM

I have built a bunch of 8wt 9 foot rods. Mostly for me and friends fishing coho salmon in Alaska.

I have a strong preference for snake type guides. The minimas and even the single foot ceramics tend to hang up on brush and get bent. Ditto the Fuji titanium single foot guides. Double foot snake guides on the other hand are very robust and hard to damage, plus they don't tend to hang on brush or tree branches.

If you fish in perfect conditions, the ceramic fly guides do make a nice rod, that is especially nice with a big fish in play.

For real world conditions, though, a double foot snake is almost impossible to damage, and of the available guides, the REC titaniums are my favorites.

If I were building this rod, it would have 2 strippers-a 16 and a 12 Fuji Titanium Alconite, and 9 REC #3 double foot snake guides.

Good luck

Drew

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster