I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

mhx st1024-f
Posted by: jim moy (---.lightspeed.cicril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 12, 2013 01:24PM

okay guys, i guess i'll forget about the dss1025. how's about the mhx st1024-f anybody ever build or fished one of these? or the mhx st1025-f? i'm looking at building a couple of spinning rods to cast spoons and cranks 3/8oz-3/4oz for fall chinook salmon up to 20-25lbs. i just broke a rod and need to pick something out quick. any help would be appreciated.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: mhx st1024-f
Posted by: Drew Pollock (---.100-30-64.ftth.swbr.surewest.net)
Date: September 12, 2013 01:58PM

25 pounds of salmon is a lot of fish, so I'd use the 1025. I don't fish for kings but do fish for Coho every year which run to 16 pounds or so and the 1024 is perfect for that.

Date: September 12, 2013 02:30PM

hey drew, thanks but the 25lber's is going to be few and far in between. we get them averaging in the teens so i guess the 1024 med mag should do. have you fished this blank? is it a true fast or mod fast? thanks...

Posted by: Jim Rippe (---.lightspeed.cicril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 12, 2013 11:24PM

I have built on both of those blanks. I have fished the 1024 and like it a lot for steelhead and cohos here in northwest Indiana. In the narrow streams here with a lot of timber in the water, It would be a huge task to land a 20 lb. king here. I have recently built another rod ( ST1025) for this purpose.

Date: September 13, 2013 11:38AM

hi jim,
i remember you showing me pictures of it. i usually shop where you work with my son and spoke to you numerous times. i think i'm gonna order a couple of the 1024's and try to get them ready before the king season is over. we fish deeper water that is basically snag free so i can actually play out the fish unlike the streams. i'm worried the 1025 might be like a club.

Posted by: Ron Jack (72.95.99.---)
Date: September 13, 2013 04:12PM

I know that you didn't ask, but Batson ISA 1086 F is outstanding. I have landed Kings up to 42lbs with no problem. Just a suggestion.

Ron Jack
Bowdoin, Maine

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: September 13, 2013 05:29PM

I should stay out of conversations that I'm clueless about but what the heck.

I have a rainshadow HS1025-F. IIRC it is rated 12-25# but it is a hot shot blank. It would cast the lures you have listed no problem. It has a very light tip and I would call it extra fast. It has a quick lock up and once it is locked up is it a powerful blank. It could fish 20# class and certainly handle 20-30+ pelagic fish in open water. It is hardly a club and one could enjoy a smaller fish on it.

On my first outing I was amazed at how versatile it was. I caught everything from amberjack and snapper on the bottom to dolphin and tuna while trolling. I even did a little plugging for snook/tarpon....and although I didn't catch anything I can tell you that blank will cast a long ways. To me, the most amazing catch was being able to feel a small squid eat a live finger mullet in a 100 feet of water.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster